“Good hotel with a Great location at a reasonable rate” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard Indianapolis at the Capitol

You added Courtyard Indianapolis at the Capitol to your Saves list
Courtyard Indianapolis at the Capitol
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   320 North Senate Avenue, Indianapolis, IN 46204 (Downtown Indianapolis)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #23 of 183 Hotels in Indianapolis
Olathe, KS
“Good hotel with a Great location at a reasonable rate”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2011

I stayed here with my wife and kids during the B10 football championship game (Dec 2-3).
We did not spend a lot of time in the actual hotel other than sleeping since we were busy all day long. The beds were comfortable and it we had no noise issues.

We loved the location. It was a little farther of a walk to the downtown area bars/resteraunts, but still not bad. In fact I liked having a 10 minute walk to get there. The Basketball, Baseball and football stadiums are right there as well as the capital and the canals. I was impressed with Indianapolis. This hotel was $50-$100 less than the big Marriott and a couple other hotels that were slightly closer.

We were up early and got a table at LaPeep 3 blocks away and had a great breakfast. Plus we stopped in to the Cajun place across from the hotel and they sold to go Beer and Wine - this came in handy as we did not want to go searching for a liquer store.

All in all it was a great trip and this was a good hotel.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
jenniferrichter, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Indianapolis at the Capitol, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Thank you very much for your positive review about the Courtyard by Marriott at the Capitol. I am very glad you enjoyed your stay with us. One of my favorite things about our hotel is how close we are to many attractions located downtown; you won't have to walk more than fifteen minutes anywhere. In the future, I hope to welcome you back to our hotel and I encourage you to try our Bistro that is open for breakfast every day from 6:30-9:30am (7am-10am weekends). We have many different options available and the Bistro is located conveniently in the lobby. Please feel free to contact me directly if you need any assistance creating any future reservations!

Warm regards,
Annie Moskol
Front Office Manager
anne.moskol@whitelodging.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2011

We stayed at this hotel for a weekend in December for a family wedding. I travel frequently for business, so I think I have a good sense of

During the weekend we stayed, there was a cheerleading competition in town, so all the hotels were at maximum capacity. This Courtyard was no exception. That said, I cannot excuse the issues we experienced to a busy hotel. If I had to stay in Indianapolis again, I would stay elsewhere.

Location - The location was convenient to the wedding venues we needed and we didn't explore much of Indianapolis (outside the Children's Museum), so I can't really speak to the location. It seemed very proximate to other downtown attractions, though not sure how walkable it would be (it was also 20 degrees the weekend we stayed, so no one was walking anywhere!) There is a surface parking lot - I think parking was ~$20 a night with unlimited in and out privileges. We never had an issue finding a parking spot, even later at night.

Rooms - The most serious issue is the noise level in the rooms. We stayed on the 3rd floor and could hear EVERY STEP taken by the people above us - who happened to be family member's of mine, so I know they weren't jumping/stomping/being excessively loud. When the floor above us flushed the toilet, it sounded like water was rushing into our room. Other friends/family who had 3rd/2nd floor rooms complained about the noise level.

Otherwise, rooms are well appointed and have been recently updated. We stayed in a room that was a 1 bed room suite, with a door separating the bedroom from living room area, which was helpful since we were traveling with a younger child. Room size (at least for these suites) was very large. I had a chance to visit some of the standard size rooms and those were more of an average hotel room size

Service - We had significant issues with housekeeping. We were up very early on Saturday (again we have a young child) and left our room around 8:00 AM, returning around 1:30. When we got back, our room had not been cleaned. We had wanted our daughter to nap during this time, so were really hoping to have the room made up. I don't believe that it's unreasonable to expect a room to be serviced by early afternoon.

We called down to the front desk (more on this later) and after reaching someone to explain the situation, were told that housekeeping was working until 5:00 PM. Since we had to leave around 4:30 for the wedding, we asked if we could just have the room made up then. The front desk said this would be fine.

As we were leaving for the wedding, we stopped by the front desk to let them know we had left the room and to request housekeeping. No one was at the desk. We waited for around 5 minutes. I was in the process of leaving a note when the front desk clerk arrived. (Sidebar: When I told her that we had been waiting, her reply was "I had to use the bathroom. What do you want me to do?" Nice attitude. I would start by suggesting that the Marriott staff more than one front desk person when the hotel is fully booked. I know that is not the clerk's fault, but it's not mine either and I expect someone to be at the front desk and to answer the phone when I call down. But I digress.

We informed the front desk clerk that we were leaving and needed our room made up. She told us that housekeeping had left for the night. This information was obviously counter to what we had been told earlier, so we were upset. She said that she would see what she could do, but no promises could be made. We called back to follow up and found out that our room was made up, but it really should not have been such an ordeal to have our room cleaned

Food - We ate breakfast at the hotel both days. It's an a la carte menu. Food was OK - prices are probably better elsewhere, but it was very convenient.

This hotel did not meet my most basic requirements of having a decent night's sleep (due to soundproofing issues) and of service (I like to have my room cleaned every day, which is not a huge request in my mind). To management's credit, when asked how my stay was and I raised these issues, they did offer to refund me a night's visit of give me Marriott points, which was a nice offer.

Reading other reviews, it sounds like others fared better, but I will definitely be taking my business elsewhere.

Room Tip: Try for a room on the top floor. Corner rooms are 1 bedroom suites.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
jenniferrichter, General Manager at Courtyard Indianapolis at the Capitol, responded to this review, April 2, 2012
Thank you for staying at the Courtyard by Marriott Indianapolis at the Capitol. I am very sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your stay. Our goal is to ensure that all guests enjoy their stay with us and I am sorry that we fell short of that goal. I can assure you this is not our normal level of service and hope that if you are in the area again that you would give us another chance. Again, thank you for staying with us.
Jenny Richter
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2011

We stayed here the night before the Monumental marathon. Very clean and decorated nice. Close to both the start and finish line. Free WIFI was great too!!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Mason, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2011

Stayed here the night before the Indianapolis Monumental Marathon. It was very modern compared to other Courtyards I've stayed in. The lobby felt very comfortable, and the entire place was super clean. It was perfect for what I needed!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Clifton, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2011

I stayed here because I needed a ride to an event and the person driving lives very close. I was very pleased and I think the service is excellent for a small hotel. I checked in after a bus trip from Chicago that I almost missed and was starving. They recommended a place a block away, which was good and quick. I had trouble with the TV and someone came up immediately. I asked about the safety of morning walking and was told how to go to the canal walk. They didn't tell me it doesn't get light until almost 8am. The room was fine, it was quiet and the breakfast was decent.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Hunitngburg, IN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2011

Stay at this hotel everytime in town great place to stay. very clean and hotel. The food a little pricey but a few blocks away there are plenty of other places to eat at.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Southern State
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2011

Our family has the occasion of travelling to Indy each summer for a sporting event. We have stayed at the Courtyard at the Capitol for the past several years and have always had a good experience. This year was no different. We were pleasantly surprised upon check-in to see that the enire lobby area was newly renovated. It was modern and spacious and included a small cafe where you could purchase Starbucks, sandwiches, pizza, etc. All the rooms have also been renovated and our King room was great. The bedding was comfortable. Lots of quality pillows. Flatscreen TV. The vanity was granite but small most likely because they tried to maximize the amount of space in the room. With such a great renovation, I do wonder why they; haven't upgraded to plusher towels. The ones they are are plentiful and adequate, but should be thicker. Even though the hotel was full both nights of our stay, we slept wonderfully. You could not hear noise in the hallways or from the outside. The hotel shares a surface parking lot with a Residence Inn. It costs $18/day, a quick way for the hotel to make extra $$$ but you do get unlimited in and out privileges. The hotel is considered downtown but not in the direct heart. It is a short walk (4-5 blocks) to actual downtown with shopping and restaurants galore. It is also close to IUPUI. Jason at the front desk was extremely professional and efficient and all the staff I encountered, even when passing in the lobby or halls, were pleasant and courteous. As far as I'm concerned, this is our hotel of choice when in the downtown Indy area.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Been to Courtyard Indianapolis at the Capitol? Share your experiences!