“Wonderful and helpful staff” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Residence Inn Indianapolis Downtown on the Canal

Save Saved
You added Residence Inn Indianapolis Downtown on the Canal to your Saves list
Residence Inn Indianapolis Downtown on the Canal
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   350 W New York Street, Indianapolis, IN 46202 (Downtown Indianapolis)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
3-Night Stays: Save 15%
Ranked #8 of 185 hotels in Indianapolis
Wasilla, Alaska, United States
“Wonderful and helpful staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

I would recommend for anyone wanting to stay in Indianapolis to stay here! It is within walking distance to cultural and art institutions as well as Lucas oil stadium. I stayed here for three weeks on business and the staff were always cheerful and helpful. They are always ready to help with any question you have and if there is anything wrong they go out of their way to fix it. Great suggestions for dining and events happening around town. My husband and I were finalizing a loan on our house out of state and they found me a notary public and a place to fax my paperwork. It was a great place away from home. I rarely felt homesick my three weeks there. If I ever get back to Indy, there is no place I'd rather stay. I was in Indy in 2005 and wish I had known about this hotel. I would have stayed there instead. Great staff and wonderful location. Katie was exceptionally helpful, but everyone works towards excellence at this hotel. A must stay.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the canal have a good view
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
ResidenceInnCanal, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn Indianapolis Downtown on the Canal, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
I could not be more excited to read your review- thank you so much for taking the time to write about your experience. It was a pleasure to host your group for three weeks and I am delighted that we could minimize any homesick feelings, especially considering how far home is! If you ever find yourself on a return trip to Indianapolis, please do not hesitate to contact me so I can set up your reservation and welcome you back. Again, thank you for your review and have a happy 2013!

169 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Hudson, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

Wonderful front desk staff at check in and with help finding a good restaurant at night. Good, clean rooms and a very good downtown location. As a Marriott loyalist I am very familiar with their hotels; Residence Inns, Courtyards, JW's, and Townplaces, so I am not easily discouraged by any small lapse in service or quality. But this was a unique Marriott experience when it came to breakfast. When several of us were told that there would be no more food brought out 30 minutes before breakfast was to end, I spoke to the front desk supervisor. She was very nice and told me she would get the General Manager to make sure breakfast would continue. The General Manager told me that there would be food and that I just did not understand the cook, and that she had not understood me. The cook had told me clearly that there would be "no more" food brought out. She later told the General Manager there could be more in ten minutes. I found the whole thing kind of insulting. I just wanted to eat a small breakfast and get back on the road. She then told us that she would "write up" the cook, which I found amateurish for a General Manager. Her whole approach with me was that I somehow did not understand how breakfast worked and that I also misunderstood the cook, and how she treated guests. Once I finished the food the I could eat (the other pans remained empty) I left the room. About 15 minutes later, the same General Manager was following another guest into the elevator stating that she was sorry for his experience at breakfast (something about not being able to get water or food) and that they needed to "make it up to you". It made me feel a little better that I had not lost my ability to navigate a breakfast line, but made it clear that this property is managed by a person who lacks the experience to manage basic guest relations. The property is good, and the staff generally is great, so I suggest you deal with them and avoid the inexperienced manner of the General Manager. Again, nice rooms and great location!

Room Tip: The canal side of the hotel was great.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
GMRICanal, General Manager at Residence Inn Indianapolis Downtown on the Canal, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
First of all, I’d like to thank you for taking the time to reflect on your experience here at the Residence Inn on the Canal. I especially appreciate being able to commend our front desk and housekeeping associates on a job well done regarding helpful information about the local area and the cleanliness of the room. I also want to take full responsibility for your breakfast experience. Had hot food been out consistently, the entirety of the situation could have been avoided and you are absolutely correct in that that should be the expectation. That being said, I would also appreciate a chance to clarify. In this particular situation, I overheard a conversation from my office in which a guest requested the manager’s attention. I attempted to rectify the service experience in several ways, and finally made mention that written documentation of the associate would take place which is our standard procedure. Upon further investigation, I found that the cook had jokingly told a long-term guest that he would not get any more food today. Many of our extended-stay guests become like family and the guest in question who has lived here for more than 6-month certainly falls into this category and thus engages in the same joking manner that one might with family at home. In actuality, all food items, which can take 20-30 minutes to cook, were half way through the cooking cycle when I entered the kitchen to check. To the best of my knowledge, at no point was food refused to any guests, be they extended-stay or transient. These circumstances could have been avoided, however I can not change the past. I can only apologize for the miscommunication that caused your disappointment in our breakfast service and in my service to you. I hope that you accept my most sincere apologies and would like to invite you back to experience a stay that exceeds expectations in all categories. Again, thank you for your review and if you would like to discuss this with me personally, please feel free to contact me at 317-822-0840.
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

I along with my family enjoyed an extended stay at the hotel. We thoroughly enjoyed the time spent at Residence inn. I was very impressed by the services provided by the hotel staff. They were very friendly and always keen to help. That made our stay very comfortable. The canal view is fantastic and one can always take a walk by the canal. Highly recommended.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
ResidenceInnCanal, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn Indianapolis Downtown on the Canal, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
I can't thank you enough for taking the time to review our hotel (and your home away from home)- it's especially meaningful coming from a long-term guest. I am so glad that your family enjoyed your stay with us, and I hope you know you are welcome to drop by anytime!

Jacksonville, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

First time to Indy for a conference and I had a very nice stay at this property. The staff at the front desk was helpful and pleasant. Room was more than I needed for the purpose of my trip, but I am never one to turn down more. The room was clean, included a fully equipped kitchen and quiet. The hotel was very busy because of the marathon as another review has suggested, but you would have never known it because it was so quiet.

Breakfast in the AM was a nice unexpected surprise and I do seem to recall there being cookies one afternoon - which again is one of those things that do not take a lot of effort - but really go a long way in differentiating. In another property, something like that would have been charged to my room and in the day and age where you are nickelled and dimed for everything else, this was another welcome treat.

Located right on the canal, it would seem ideally suited for families with children, although the kids may be more interested in trying to swim with the large number of ducks who call the canal their home. Saw lots of families feeding them - and based on their size - something the ducks have come to expect.

RUNNERS- this is a great location because of its safe route and lack of having to dodge traffic. If you start out of the bottom floor (canal level) and turn right and follow the canal all the way down and around the loop back past the hotel you can log approximately 2 miles (one way) or 4 miles (round trip). I used it for a longer route that took me out past the NCAA museum and over to the Indy Zoo and then out to the 3rd or 4th bridge and back (10 miles overall). Shorter routes can be easily accommodated with earlier bridges which take you past the VA Hospital and through the southern portion of IU.

My rating on the restaurant is based on the fact that I only ate breakfast there and it was what you would expect in a buffet style setting. To the best of my knowledge, they do not provide Room Service so I cannot rate the property fairly.

Overall, I would stay here again as it was really a great hotel. Great job to the entire property staff!

Room Tip: It would seem most others suggest staying in a room which overlooks the canal. I did not notice the...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
ResidenceInnCanal, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn Indianapolis Downtown on the Canal, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. Clean, quiet, great for running, helpful service- you seemed to hit all the key points! You are correct in that we do not offer room service as all of our breakfast and suppers are complimentary. Please let me know if there is anything with which I can be of further assistance, and again, thank you for staying with us!

Phelps
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We were there for the marathon and this hotel pulled out all the stops. They cut the parking fee in half ($19.00) and donated the other to charity as I understand it. They provided a pasta sinner with beer and wine at no charge. I have never been to a hotel that was this accommodating.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
ResidenceInnCanal, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn Indianapolis Downtown on the Canal, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
I am absolutely delighted that you enjoyed your weekend with us. The Monumental Marathon is an exciting time for Indianapolis, and you understood correctly- we kept with the running theme and donated all proceeds from parking to Back On My Feet, a charity that promotes self-sufficiency through organized running groups. The Carb Dinner was also a hit with pasta, baked potatoes, and other treats. We certainly try to cater to our guests and our community, and I am so glad that it made a difference in your stay. Join us this November and December as we will be writing holiday letters to veterans and making blankets for the Children's Hospital during our evening social hour. Please let me know if there is anything else I can do for you, and I hope to welcome you to Indianapolis on your next visit!

Clinton, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I am sensitive/allergic to many smells and the staff first put me on the bottom floor on the canal, but the problem was that I had to pass the pool area with a clorine smell to get to my suite. So, I asked for a change. I was moved to the second floor, canal view. Fantastic! This is my 4th stay and I was treated like I was the CEO. Arrived Sunday, October 14 and departed Wednesday, October 17. I plan to continue to stay here, annually.

Room Tip: If you are sensitive to anything, let them know.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
The absolute highest compliment that we can be paid is the decision to return for another stay- so thank you, thank you, thank you. I cannnot emphaize how much we appreciate your return every year, and it is my hope that we continue to be your home in Indianapolis for years to come. As soon as you know your dates for 2013, I would be delighted to book your room myself! Let me know if there is anything else with which I can help, and have a wonderful day.

Acworth, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

Stayed here one night on 10/5/12. The people who work here are top-notch. I was greeted immediately on entry by a nice woman with a big smile who checked me in quickly. She made sure to tell me about the free evening snacks (which sounded more like a meal). I couldn't make it (had other plans) and when I came back the other woman behind the front desk also greeted me with a big smile.

My room on the 4th floor was very clean. One quibble with it, though -- I was on the street side, not the river side, and I had a streetlight beaming in even with all of the drapes pulled close. If you're bothered by that, you should try to reserve a room on the other side of the hotel.

Breakfast was fine. I usually skip the fatty stuff and go for the oatmeal, and it was good. The coffee seemed a bit weak, but this is coming from someone who routinely orders black coffee with 2 shots of espresso at Starbucks. I'll add, though, that the coffee here was better than the coffee being served at our meeting at the Marriott.

Checkout was just as fast and friendly as check-in.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
ResidenceInnCanal, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn Indianapolis Downtown on the Canal, responded to this review, October 28, 2012
Thank you SO much for taking the time to review our hotel. I agree that while all else surely matters, the genuine care from all associates is what sets us apart. I apologize for any inconvenience encountered by the street lights- the silver lining is that guests are able to book city view or canal view, so next time you can be guaranteed your preference.

Again, thank you for staying with us, and on your next trip I'll be happy to run across the street and bring you those Starbucks espresso shots myself! Please contact me directly if I can be of any further assistance.

Katherine.Boehner@WhiteLodging.com

Been to Residence Inn Indianapolis Downtown on the Canal? Share your experiences!