“Great hotel!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Residence Inn Indianapolis Downtown on the Canal

Save Saved
You added Residence Inn Indianapolis Downtown on the Canal to your Saves list
Residence Inn Indianapolis Downtown on the Canal
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   350 W New York Street, Indianapolis, IN 46202 (Downtown Indianapolis)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
3-Night Stays: Save 15%
Ranked #9 of 184 hotels in Indianapolis
Jacksonville, Florida
“Great hotel!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

First time to Indy for a conference and I had a very nice stay at this property. The staff at the front desk was helpful and pleasant. Room was more than I needed for the purpose of my trip, but I am never one to turn down more. The room was clean, included a fully equipped kitchen and quiet. The hotel was very busy because of the marathon as another review has suggested, but you would have never known it because it was so quiet.

Breakfast in the AM was a nice unexpected surprise and I do seem to recall there being cookies one afternoon - which again is one of those things that do not take a lot of effort - but really go a long way in differentiating. In another property, something like that would have been charged to my room and in the day and age where you are nickelled and dimed for everything else, this was another welcome treat.

Located right on the canal, it would seem ideally suited for families with children, although the kids may be more interested in trying to swim with the large number of ducks who call the canal their home. Saw lots of families feeding them - and based on their size - something the ducks have come to expect.

RUNNERS- this is a great location because of its safe route and lack of having to dodge traffic. If you start out of the bottom floor (canal level) and turn right and follow the canal all the way down and around the loop back past the hotel you can log approximately 2 miles (one way) or 4 miles (round trip). I used it for a longer route that took me out past the NCAA museum and over to the Indy Zoo and then out to the 3rd or 4th bridge and back (10 miles overall). Shorter routes can be easily accommodated with earlier bridges which take you past the VA Hospital and through the southern portion of IU.

My rating on the restaurant is based on the fact that I only ate breakfast there and it was what you would expect in a buffet style setting. To the best of my knowledge, they do not provide Room Service so I cannot rate the property fairly.

Overall, I would stay here again as it was really a great hotel. Great job to the entire property staff!

Room Tip: It would seem most others suggest staying in a room which overlooks the canal. I did not notice the...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
ResidenceInnCanal, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn Indianapolis Downtown on the Canal, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. Clean, quiet, great for running, helpful service- you seemed to hit all the key points! You are correct in that we do not offer room service as all of our breakfast and suppers are complimentary. Please let me know if there is anything with which I can be of further assistance, and again, thank you for staying with us!

170 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Phelps
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We were there for the marathon and this hotel pulled out all the stops. They cut the parking fee in half ($19.00) and donated the other to charity as I understand it. They provided a pasta sinner with beer and wine at no charge. I have never been to a hotel that was this accommodating.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
ResidenceInnCanal, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn Indianapolis Downtown on the Canal, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
I am absolutely delighted that you enjoyed your weekend with us. The Monumental Marathon is an exciting time for Indianapolis, and you understood correctly- we kept with the running theme and donated all proceeds from parking to Back On My Feet, a charity that promotes self-sufficiency through organized running groups. The Carb Dinner was also a hit with pasta, baked potatoes, and other treats. We certainly try to cater to our guests and our community, and I am so glad that it made a difference in your stay. Join us this November and December as we will be writing holiday letters to veterans and making blankets for the Children's Hospital during our evening social hour. Please let me know if there is anything else I can do for you, and I hope to welcome you to Indianapolis on your next visit!

Clinton, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I am sensitive/allergic to many smells and the staff first put me on the bottom floor on the canal, but the problem was that I had to pass the pool area with a clorine smell to get to my suite. So, I asked for a change. I was moved to the second floor, canal view. Fantastic! This is my 4th stay and I was treated like I was the CEO. Arrived Sunday, October 14 and departed Wednesday, October 17. I plan to continue to stay here, annually.

Room Tip: If you are sensitive to anything, let them know.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
The absolute highest compliment that we can be paid is the decision to return for another stay- so thank you, thank you, thank you. I cannnot emphaize how much we appreciate your return every year, and it is my hope that we continue to be your home in Indianapolis for years to come. As soon as you know your dates for 2013, I would be delighted to book your room myself! Let me know if there is anything else with which I can help, and have a wonderful day.

Acworth, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

Stayed here one night on 10/5/12. The people who work here are top-notch. I was greeted immediately on entry by a nice woman with a big smile who checked me in quickly. She made sure to tell me about the free evening snacks (which sounded more like a meal). I couldn't make it (had other plans) and when I came back the other woman behind the front desk also greeted me with a big smile.

My room on the 4th floor was very clean. One quibble with it, though -- I was on the street side, not the river side, and I had a streetlight beaming in even with all of the drapes pulled close. If you're bothered by that, you should try to reserve a room on the other side of the hotel.

Breakfast was fine. I usually skip the fatty stuff and go for the oatmeal, and it was good. The coffee seemed a bit weak, but this is coming from someone who routinely orders black coffee with 2 shots of espresso at Starbucks. I'll add, though, that the coffee here was better than the coffee being served at our meeting at the Marriott.

Checkout was just as fast and friendly as check-in.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
ResidenceInnCanal, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn Indianapolis Downtown on the Canal, responded to this review, October 28, 2012
Thank you SO much for taking the time to review our hotel. I agree that while all else surely matters, the genuine care from all associates is what sets us apart. I apologize for any inconvenience encountered by the street lights- the silver lining is that guests are able to book city view or canal view, so next time you can be guaranteed your preference.

Again, thank you for staying with us, and on your next trip I'll be happy to run across the street and bring you those Starbucks espresso shots myself! Please contact me directly if I can be of any further assistance.

Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

We stayed at this hotel on October 1st, 2012. What a gorgeous place to stay. I had requested a room facing the canal, which even though it was raining was a great view. Katie on the front desk when we checked in was super, super kind & helpful. The hotel was in a quiet area of downtown, and I'd dare say a safe area as we walked, (our own choosing), to a restaurant down by the Capitol building. It was a very clean hotel and the bed was quite comfortable as well. Now that we know this hotel is here, we'll take the extra time to get off the interstate and go downtown for sure.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the canal.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
ResidenceInnCanal, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn Indianapolis Downtown on the Canal, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
I could not be more pleased to read your review. Thank you so much for taking the time to reflect on your stay. So many of the points that you touched on are what we consider to be the keys to our success in Indianapolis. Thank you again for staying with us, and please let me know if I can be of further assitance in any way- including personally making any upcoming reservations myself!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012 via mobile

Excellent location, clean and convenient. Meals could be improved slight compared to other Residence Inn stay and recent Homewood Suites stay. However would still recommend with great location.

Reception area is nice with TV's and a patio overlooking the canal. Food was good but limited variety and plain. Wine and draft beer was available. Staff was very friendly and helpful.

Suite was slightly dated but nice and clean. Two flat screen TV's in room.

• Stayed October 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our property! I have to say that we agree- our location is in a somewhat residential area of the canal, but still only steps away from downtown making for an especially convenient area for our guests. Our hotel recently underwent a multi-million dollar renovation, so I am genuinely eager to hear your feedback regarding your suite. I hope that you'll return to see us, and again, please contact me for any further discussion!

Katherine Boehner

Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012 via mobile

Very nice and clean. Very comfortable and a good size for a suite. Awesome breakfast included. Too much food to pick from. Only problem was that they need to use eggs in the scrambled eggs not powdered. Yuck! Only other problem was that we didn't have our room cleaned at 330 and had a wedding to be at by 5. I called for fresh towels and told them about the wedding. I waited 30 minutes and finally tracked down a maid for them. So had to rush to get ready. While I was looking for her I saw a bag of towels on a door knob for a guest. That was all I wanted. Even with that I would definitely go back!

• Stayed September 2012
ResidenceInnCanal, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn Indianapolis Downtown on the Canal, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Thank you so much for providing such a thorough review of your stay with us. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused by housekeeping delays, but appreciate the feedback all the same. Your review of our breakfast service seems to be spoken in good company as we are currently #1 out of 619 Residence Inns! I hope that you will come back to visit us soon, and would be happy to discuss anything further or handle future reservations myself. Again, thank you for letting us host you in Indianapolis!

Katherine Boehner

Katherine.Boehner@WhiteLodging.com

Been to Residence Inn Indianapolis Downtown on the Canal? Share your experiences!