“Rip off” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Caribbean Cove Hotel & Conference Center

You added Caribbean Cove Hotel & Conference Center to your Saves list
Caribbean Cove Hotel & Conference Center
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3850 DePauw Blvd, Indianapolis, IN 46268 (Formerly Holiday Inn Select Indianapolis North (At The Pyramids))   |
Ranked #134 of 183 Hotels in Indianapolis
“Rip off”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2010

Where to start??? Check in was the most unorganized experience I have ever encountered. The front desk staff was rude, almost as if they hated their jobs. The lady that checked me in, didn't care about customer service at all. While she was helping me, she kept walking away to talk with other staff members, while there was a long line at the desk. I asked for a room away from elevators, and with the waterpark included. After 25 minutes of trying to check in, I finally received my room keys. Guess what...directly next to an elevator, and they would not move us. The rooms are EXTREMELY overpriced. Beds with springs poking at you all night, wall paper tearing off walls, dirty carpet, a dropped ceiling in the bathroom with so much dirt and dust that it was actually hanging off the ceiling. In the morning, I called the front desk to get our tickets to the waterpark, they informed me that I had a no waterpark room, and there would be an additional cost of almost $100 for my family to go. After already paying $175.00 for a dirty room at a Holiday inn, nevertheless. NO WAY. After talking to a manager at the hotel, he told me that I was told that I did not get the waterpark included in my room. Others in the hotel paid $175 per night with the waterpark included...how does that work? I have always stayed away from Holiday inn type hotels, because I felt they were dumps. After the huge makeover the chain has gone through, I felt it was worth the try once again. Never again. Holiday inns have NOT changed. For the price stay downtown at the Hyatt or the Marriott. At least there, you get what you pay for.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Asheville, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2010

The main attraction of this hotel is the adjoining indoor waterpark. When I was there it was filled with families who were taking advantage of the special waterpark room rates and the "kids eat free" deal. Unfortunately, the entire place smells of chlorine (from the pools) and damp carpet. Enormous families wander the halls in dripping bathing suits, carrying huge coolers of food and drink. Overworked housekeeping staff block the hallways with carts filled with wet towels.

Not the best experience for a solo business traveler. On the plus side, I was placed in an area on the fifth floor that appears to be reserved for people who are not on the waterpark package -- that area was quieter, and the room was fairly large. Breakfast was included, although that required navigating through the throngs of children and stressed-out parents in the restaurant.

If you're interested in an inexpensive mini-vacation with the kids, go for it. If you're in town by yourself on business -- you might do better elsewhere (it may be better midweek, in the winter...)

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Cincinnati, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2010

whats wrong with this hotel and holiday inn! I was unable to even stay because to staff the hired doesn't understand English and booked the wrong package. so to change it i had to change my room.... then there's no room available!! I also called to cancel everything and the woman on the phone gave me another persons information and was canceling it. i cant believe how they run this hotel! I had to call over 10 time long distance to the hotel and EVER got a call back or any help. They ruined an 8yr old bday gift!!!!

Dayton, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2010

My husband and I plus our two small children (ages 2 and 4) stayed at this hotel last week, and I have such mixed feelings about our experience. We purchased the package w/ the zoo, children's museum, and water park tickets plus "free" night's stay. I put free in quotes because I strongly feel this hotel inflates their prices in order to offer things for free.
We drove in from out of state and arrived at the hotel around 12:30 in the afternoon. The lobby area was nice and new looking. I was informed by the front desk attendant that there were no rooms available to check us into, and while disappointed because it would've been nice to freshen up (it was in the upper 90's outside), I was not upset because check-in time is clearly stated as 4 o'clock. Sometimes hotels will give you an early check-in, so we were just hoping that would be the case... no big deal. The lady at the desk (impersonal and bordering on impolite) gave us our tickets upon my request and we headed off to the zoo.
I can not say enough about both the zoo, folks. Despite the overbearing heat and humidity, we had such a wonderful time. The zoo is laid out so well, and the habitats are just beautifully done. The kids had the time of their lives! My son rode a roller coaster and a horse for the 1st time, and they both got to pet sharks and try to outrun a cheetah,
We arrived back to the hotel around 6p.m. and I went to the front desk to check in. This time I was greeted by a much friendlier representative and check-in went quickly & smoothly. However, upon hauling our luggage and two small children up to the 3rd floor, and attempting several times to use the key card on our door, we realized the key card was not working. My husband went all the way back down to the hotel lobby to ask for assistance, where he was told to "pull up on the handle, instead of pushing down." He returned, not happily I might add, to find that the key card still was not working, whether pulling up on the handle or down. This time we phoned the front desk and they said they would send a maintenance person up as soon as one was available. Meanwhile we were left standing in the hallway with tired & grumpy kids, and our luggage spread out all over.
We finally got into our room and I headed to the restroom, only to discover that there was no toilet paper. And when I say no toilet paper, I mean they didn't even have a holder on which toilet paper might go. I seached the restroom frantically, but no toilet paper was to be found. Luckily there were some kleenexes in there, ha. My husband called down to the front desk and they said they'd have some toilet paper brought up.
Our room was overlooking the parking lot. No biggie... not all rooms can be atrium view (not that we were given the option to choose) and we knew we wouldn't be spending much time in the room anyway, other than to sleep.
We decided to make use of the "kids eat free" coupon for dinner and headed downstairs. I guess Cafe St. Paul is only open for breakfast during the week so we headed to Indy Sports Grille. I just have to say that the hostess was BEYOND rude. She acted like she was doing us a huge favor by seating us. I just looked at my husband and rolled my eyes. Luckily our waiter was really nice so that made up for it, and the food was great. Unfortunately, the "kids eat free" coupon was not such a great deal as all the menu prices are inflated to cover for it. One appetizer, two burgers and two drinks cost us $50 bucks with the tip. We charged the meal to our room, figuring we would settle it at checkout.
By that time the kids were begging to hit the water park so we went back to the room to change. Upon entering the room we discovered that there was STILL no toilet paper. So we made do with kleenex again and headed to the park. I have to say the water park is the one redeeming quality of this hotel. The kids had an absolute blast! I've read some bad reviews about the friendliness of the lifeguards, but I have to say I appreciated their no-nonsense and focused attitude. They are performing an important job and I would rather have them intent on the job at hand than giggling and flirting with guests. A+ on the lifeguards.
We came back to the room after park closing (9 o'clock) to discover... you guessed it... still no toilet paper! I called down to the front desk and they said they'd send someone up. After 30 minutes we got a call from the front desk asking us if we needed help with something. I was like "Uhh, yeah, we've been asking for toilet paper since 6 o'clock!" She said they'd had a room # mixup (???) and someone would bring some right up. SO we finally got toilet paper. Yay!
The kids had a granola bar snack, and unfortunately left a couple chocolate handprints on the sheets. I figured it was no big deal, the sheets would get changed in the morning anyway. WRONG. When we came back from the museum the next day the chocolate marks were still there. The beds were made, but with the dirty sheets.
Okay, to rewind a step, that morning we went downstairs to check out the breakfast buffet (kids eat free) and when I saw the sign saying that adults were $13 apiece for the buffet I nearly fainted. For 13 bucks apiece there better be someone standing there making omelettes and Belgian waffles to order. Instead there were some runny eggs, some limp bacon, a few different types of yogurt & fruit, and a couple other lackluster breakfast items. We took one look at it and said "No thank you" and headed across the street to Cracker Barrel...where we spent less money (including the kids' meals) for a delicious and hearty breakfast...with a friendly waitstaff.
During breakfast I checked our bank account via my phone and noticed that the hotel had already placed an authorization on our account for the previous night's meal. Odd, because hotels generally wait until checkout to settle rooms charges, but whatever. I wasn't that worried about it at the time.
After breakfast was the Children's Museum... and I have to say it is phenomenal. We were there from 11 in the morning 'til closing at 5 and we still didn't see and do everything. The kids were in heaven. My son is looney tunes about dinosaurs and they have an entire floor devoted to them (plus a really awesome paleontology lab where kids can watch & ask questions.) I thought my son's head was going to explode from excitement!
At that point we had pretty much decided not to eat any more meals at the hotel... just not a good value. We ate dinner that night across the street at Grand Traverse Pie Company... it was awesome. Really inexpensive and great food.
That evening was again taken up by the water park... and again, great experience there. The kids loved it.
The next morning was checkout. We bypassed the breakfast buffet again in favor of Cracker Barrel.
At checkout the front desk rep informed me there was a $50 charge to settle from the dinner the 1st night. I responded that I'd checked my bank account and the funds had already been authorized. She looked at me like I was speaking a foreign language to her and called another rep over to assist. I again explained that the charges had already been authorized on our bank account and a 2nd authorization would not be necessary. He assured me that they would simply be putting the charge through and the authorization would go away. I should have known better. The hotel has now been holding nearly 100 dollars of our money hostage for a week with a double authorization. I kept thinking the 2nd authorization would fall off and yet it has not, even though the first authorization has already gone through as a charge. It's been 5 days since we checked out. So I called my bank today to see what could be done and the bank rep told me that she could do a 3-way call with the hotel and get their okay to release the authorization. She called the front desk with me on the line and I explained to the front desk attendant what I was trying to accomplish. He transferred me to someone's voice mail. We called back and I informed him that I needed to speak to a person, not a voice mail... so he put me on hold for close to ten minutes before returning to tell me that everyone was busy, no one could help me right now, I would have to leave a voice mail. I informed him that was completely unacceptable, that they had been holding my funds hostage for a week and I wanted to speak to someone immediately. He said he would go find his manager, and myself and the bank rep proceeded to hold for over twenty minutes... the bank rep was keeping tabs on the hold time. FINALLY the extremely rude and arrogant manager took the line and we were able to convince him to okay the release of the authorization. He kept acting like I was trying to put one over on him even though the hotel had already received their funds for both the stay and the room charge! I will say right now I was totally offended by the treatment I received and both my husband and I agree we will not be staying here again.
Bottom line is the children's museum and the zoo are awesome. If you have children, definitely consider taking them! The water park at the hotel is great too, but I would not say it is worth the aggravation of staying at this hotel. They sell day passes to the park... stay at one of the many hotels nearby and just buy a day pass to the water park.
By the way, I am not a person for writing negative reviews. I feel like some people complain just for the sake of complaining. This is the first negative review I've ever written. I normally just let it go... but this time I had to sit down and write it all out. In this economy, parents are finding it harder and harder to take their kids on a fun vacation. We are no exception. I'm really sad that we saved to take our kids on this excursion, only to have it marred by the hotel's shoddy customer service.

Chicagoland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2010

I rated this okay as the hotel room itself was not all that clean. We requested clean sheets for the bed after seeing yellow spots. They just remade the bed, but did not change the sheets. Also, there were nasty dirt stains and holes in the curtains that were unpleasant to look at.
On another note the kids had a blast at the indoor waterpark. There was an abundance of lifeguards who were excellent in providing information and securing the safety of everyone in the waterpark. Kids also eat free w/adult purchase and the staff was friendly especially our waiter Bobby at the St. Paul Cafe who provided excellent customer service.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2010

We stayed here to go to the Caribbean Cove Waterpark and the Indy Zoo and Children's Museum. Went with immediate family also so we had 3 rooms total. The rooms were nice and clean but the beds were not comfortable for everyone. One bed was even broken so it sloped towards the floor. Rooms were not stocked with enough towels. Rooms would benefit from having refrigerators and microwaves in the rooms, especially since alot of visitors have young children and need to store milk and/or food for them. We paid and extra $10 a day to have a refrigerator, which they diidn't even plug in when they put it in the room. The pool area has several pool tables and closes promptly at 10pm, even if you are in the middle of a game (which you pay $1). Yes, that happened to us.

Effingham, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2010

I ignored all the nasty reviews on this website and decided to take a trip mostly for the waterpark. We had alot of fun! The hotel lobby is beautiful, the food was wonderful (although expensive) the waterpark was alot of fun, but there were some cons to this hotel. We had a room with an atrium view, with was very nice. But the room itself, just ok. I've stayed in nicer holiday inn's before. There were no empty chairs at the waterpark when we first went. We spent about 20 minutes walking around looking for a chair to put our things on. The lifeguards were all on point, but they were having a "safety drill" while we were there. We were yelled at for not being in a tube in the lazy river, which I didn't understand.

NOTE: If you have small children I would avoid staying here for the waterpark. The "kiddie pool" water was FREEZING COLD. Our 7 year old wouldn't even get into it.

Other than that it was a nice stay~

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family

Been to Caribbean Cove Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!