“OK hotel, nothing fancy” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Caribbean Cove Hotel & Conference Center

You added Caribbean Cove Hotel & Conference Center to your Saves list
Caribbean Cove Hotel & Conference Center
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3850 DePauw Blvd, Indianapolis, IN 46268 (Formerly Holiday Inn Select Indianapolis North (At The Pyramids))   |
Ranked #143 of 183 Hotels in Indianapolis
Indianapolis, Indiana
“OK hotel, nothing fancy”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

We've lived in Indianapolis for awhile and decided to take a mini "staycation" to the Caribbean Cove hotel. My husband and I both enjoy waterparks, so it was a logical choice to spend a night away from home at a hotel WITH a waterpark! First recommendation - book your hotel on a travel site like Expedia, as you'll save on average 25% (for us it was about $30 after taxes). Second recommendation: Don't buy your waterpark passes as part of a package - it saves you $0. Bring a donation for Gleaners Food Bank and save $5 per pass (check website to see if promo is still going on when you want to go). The $30 we saved on the hotel room paid for our waterpark passes. Third recommendation: If you book room externally, be prepared for a small hassle at front desk. It has nothing to do with you, and I still recommend booking through a travel site, but it didn't appear as if the front desk staff was really willing and knowledgeable about processing those kinds of reservations. The young lady that checked us in actually told me it was a pain for her to process these reservations. I mean, it is her job right, to handle reservations? If she had an issue, she should bring it up with her management, not me. Fourth recommendation: be prepared to eat breakfast out. I don't believe they offer free breakfast on the weekends, and the "breakfast buffet" that was advertised on Expedia consisted only of cold cereal, some donuts (one variety only) and yogurt. What was really disappointing and misleading was the setup for a hot breakfast buffet, complete with plates, but no food. Apparently there were bagels and toast available, but you had to ask and you were given whatever they chose for you (I got an everything bagel, which was fine because I love them, but was not offered any choices). To sum: the hotel interior is really nice, rooms are decent, waterpark access is convenient (but park is mainly geared toward children), and do not plan on eating onsite. The only highlight? The front desk attendant (I think her name was Precious) was very helpful and was concerned and upset that we were promised a "breakfast buffet" and only got cold cereal and yogurt.

Room Tip: There are no blackout curtains you can draw, so ask for an interior room.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
CCH M, Manager at Caribbean Cove Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Thank you for your review of the Caribbean Cove Hotel. We take all reviews seriously and it helps us in making the experience better. Customer service is our number one priority and it begins at the front desk. I apologize that your were promised an hot breakfast buffet and only a continental breakfast was available. we usually have a hot breakfast buffet on Saturday and Sunday's do to our high occupancy. This review was passed on to the front office manager and the food and beverage director.

management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Indianapolis
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

It really depends what you are looking for when you stay here...in my case I was looking for the cheapest possible rate in the Indianapolis area (at least a 3 star rating) for a 5 night stay. Free parking, easy access to 465, indoor pool, jacuzzi. I was given a room on the 4th floor facing Michigan. I had no issues with noise, the room was basic but clean, comfy bed, heat worked perfectly fine, decent water pressure/hot water. Best way to describe this place is an older Holiday Inn - and consider everything else it offers as a plus...I did not utilize the waterpark but it seems like a good place to spend a family weekend and if you can score a deal well even better. If I could I would rate it 2 1/2 ** but not quite 3 - hallways are smelly dingy & I did not like that the outside entrance does not lock anyone can walk in anytime of night, doors do not lock in the evening as is posted.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
thank you for your review of the Caribbean Cove Hotel. We take all reviews seriously as it helps us make the necessary changes to make the experience better. I am happy that you had a good time at our hotel and your review is being forward to all managers at our property.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

After two horrible reservations through hotels.com that had to be canceled I found myself without a place to stay in Indianapolis with my 3 year old. I arrived at Caribbean Cove and was greeted by Deanna, who was absolutely lovely. She was quick, knowledgable and gave my son a free pass to the water park. What a pleasant surprise to actually find someone who still knows what customer service is and cares enough to actually make an effort to practice it.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review of the Caribbean Cove Hotel. Customer service is our number one priority and it begins at the front desk. This review will be forwarded to the management of the hotel.

Columbus, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

This was one of the worst places I have ever stayed in the U.S. The only reason I went was because I purchased a coupon for it. We arrived, Friday and was supposed to stay until Sunday. I was so frustrated I left Saturday night. The hotel is old, with old decor. The water park is small but enough for small kids. Not much for adults.

Friday night we asked for extra blankets. It took 45 minutes for us to receive those. I called the front desk twice and just went down there myself after 30 minutes. The next day we went downstairs for the complimentary breakfast. There was a line. A hostess was there but not giving any information as to how long the wait would be. I asked her and she seemed confused on what to say. When we finally got a seat after about 20 minutes (the people in front of me waited 20 minutes before I got there). Most people got the complimentary breakfast so all the server had to do was get drinks. WHY was the server slow as hell to get drinks?? I told her that I wanted the menu because I didn't want anything on the complimentary bar. It took 20 minutes she still never came back to take my order. I called the manager over to complain, he apologized and took my order. All I had was scrambled eggs, bacon, potatoes and 2 pancakes. Can you believe that took 20 minutes to make!! The pancakes were horrendous, I didn't even eat them. The manager came over and apologized for the wait, he had the head cook come out and apologize. No one offered me a discount or a comp on this lousy service!

In the hallway to our room some of the wallpaper was ripped open with clear mold spores on it. No lie, about 10 of them. Right out in the open! How pathetic is that! We went to the pool Saturday afternoon, they were out of towels. I asked if new towels were coming, the guy said "I think so". New towels took 1.5 hours to come.

So when I went to checkout, there were 3 people ahead of me. Took exactly 30 minutes, to get to me. In that space of time one woman was loudly complaining to a supervisor about an issue, another couple came by and asked to speak to the manager and the first woman who complained came back to speak to a different supervisor.

Nothing about this place is efficient or effective.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review of the Caribbean Cove Hotel. We take all reviews seriously. I apologize for your disappointed stay with us. this review will be forwarded to all the managers and staff to read. We will discuss this and use the information provided to help create a better experience for our guests

1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

This iso ne of the worst Hotels ive ever stayed at. So yeah it was 4/20 when we stayed and we ran into a person in the lobby and had small talk and there was people a room next to them smoking Marijuana so they called the office because they have small children and plus all these room are NO SMOKING and the office told them " well it is 4/20 you know that right". Are you kidding me. This place either needs to be shut down or they need new workers. This is insane. Our room was NASTY. Beyond NASTY. our pillow cases had holes in them there was dirty all over the bathroom. The bath tub was stained up. The room looked like it hasn't been sweep in a week. The beds were uncomfortable. Just a horrible experience and ill never return. Now the Swimming was fun for the kids besides its so hot and muggy in there and they kept shutting the hot tub down, and kids were coughing when they were getting out of the water...

Room Tip: don't go here! its disgusting.
texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

We came to this hotel with a volleyball club. Everyone of us had different experiences..most worse than mine. The room size was good and when we got there it was pretty clean..other mom's not so lucky, poop in one toilet. The rooms have no covers on the beds, only sheets! The heater took until the next day to be 70. Needless to say we froze. The water park was extra and the pool area stayed busy until the wee hours of the night. So many people were checking in on Sunday that the lobby was packed. They were checking people in to rooms with people already in them. People walking into what they thought was their room only to find WE were still there for another day. Housekeeping didn't come until mid afternoon and one day not until 6pm. It seems to be fine for locals wanting to take small kids for the night but not to travel to and for more than a night or two.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Elsmere, Kentucky
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Travelers: Myself, husband, mom, 3 year old, 5 month old twins. We had two rooms.

Rooms: Average. Dated, but not horrible, especially if you don't plan to be in there much. One room began having a leak from the toilet above directly onto my mom's toilet. Her sink leaked as well. After our second day, I began to suspect mold due to our headaches, sinus issues, cough, etc. Trying to give it a day or two before I completely come to that conclussion since we just left. Hot water was set to way too hot for it being a hotel geared toward kids. A/C unit did work fine but was super loud. Add that to the noise from outside & it makes for a restless night for babies.

Hotel: Not a good fit for us with babies & toddler because "movie night" played right outside our door & the sound was near deafening until 11pm. We expected noise, we're no prudes. Just didn't expect the movie. Be prepared. The hotel is geared more toward children maybe 7-teen.

Service: We needed a mini-fridge to keep babies formula & drinks for toddler. You must request this and it is $10/day. That sucks. But they were prompt about getting it to us. Front desk was courteous but pre-occupied, minds elsewhere. While there, another man walked up and said he was getting ready to go into his new room & someone walked out. It was double booked.

Pool: Good, warm, crowded on Saturday but not on Friday. There were towels on Friday, none on Saturday. We brought our own because honestly, who goes on a swimming vacation without their own towel?

Food: We ate the pizza. Meh. We had some appetizers from the Sports Bar. Be prepared to use the restroom. LOL

Swim Park: Well....not fit for our 3 year old. There is a toddler area but the older kids run through that part to get to the deeper part, splashing & running over all the little ones. My daughter got head butted by a pre-teen who was sliding on the giant frog in the toddler area & just ran her over. Pool was cold & clorine will burn your eyes. Lazy river was too cold & wild for toddler. Didn't check on slides or towels because she was overwhelmed so we went back to the pool in the hotel.

Just don't expect much. It will not be the worst trip of your life, especially if you have middle aged kids. They will have a blast. The hotel just wasn't geared for very young children. My MAIN concern is the mold that you breath because I'd say ventilation hasn't been updated in a while and atrium is muggy.

Room Tip: 2nd floor has "catwalk" around atrium. Room 204 opens to a seating area on the catwalk wh...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to Caribbean Cove Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!