“I wish I had left sooner.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Extended Stay America - Indianapolis - West 86th St.

Save Saved
You added Extended Stay America - Indianapolis - West 86th St. to your Saves list
Extended Stay America - Indianapolis - West 86th St.
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   8520 Northwest Blvd, Indianapolis, IN 46278 (Formerly Homestead Studio Suites)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 10% Today!
Ranked #109 of 183 Hotels in Indianapolis
Grand Ledge, MI
“I wish I had left sooner.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

My company put me up at this hotel for several months. The staff here and the location are really the only positive things I can say about this Extended Stay. The staff was always very friendly and welcoming. The location is convenient to the highway and many restaurants are nearby.

It's inexpensive for a long term hotel, but as they say, you get what you pay for. I wish my company had paid the extra $10 a night for the hotel I am now at much sooner.

The not so good is that the hotel is quite warn down and in desperate need of fresh paint, carpeting and other updates. As soon as you get beyond the lobby and walk toward the elevator you'll see how dirty the carpeting is. Watch closely as the elevator doors open and you might spot some bugs quickly scurry away.

Enter your room and like mine, you might find the table or something else had been chewed on by a pet that stayed there before. You'll also probably find pet hair on the carpeting and other surfaces. I spent hours the first night I was there cleaning the pet hair from the room, which was better than the first room that I rejected because the hair was overwhelming.

The bed had a dip in the middle and really did a number on my back in the months I was there. The hallways regularly smelled, sometimes from people cooking, other times from trash in the trash room and still other times from people smoking in their room (which is not allowed).

I should note that I moved to this hotel from the Extended Stay off Michigan as an upgrade. This location was indeed better than that, but not by that much.

They've made some minor updates since they rebranded from Homestead to Extended Stay, but it's all superficial so far. Much more work is needed, though. The staff seems to care, so I'm sure they'd love to see the updates too.

• Stayed February 2013
Adrian V, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Indianapolis - West 86th St., responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I sincerely apologize that Our facility was not up to standard, we will address the issues immediately . In response to your feedback, I am very happy that our staff provided you with great Service. I am grateful for the feedback you provided so we are able to continually improve our hotel. If you have any additional feedback, please reach out to me at jshirley@extendedstay.com. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience at our hotel the next time you're in town.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

I am about to complete my 5th month here at the Extended Stay America-West 86th Street in Indianapolis, IN. I wanted to give an update to previous reviews I have given over the past months.
Service is such an important thing these days. I want to commend Jason Shirley, Kristy and Kimberly at the front desk for their professionalism and making me feel very much "at home" during my stay here. While I plan on finding an apartment to rent once Spring arrives and the weather is more conducive to looking for one, it is great to know that I have my nice one bedroom suite here.
Over an extended stay of five months things do come up now and then. Whenever I have gone to the desk to talk to Kristy, Kimberly, or Jason, I have always been treated kindly and my issue has ALWAYS been resolved to my satisfaction--without needing to push for a resolution.
Jason, in particular, is one of the most responsive managers of an "inn" that I have ever encountered in my years of travel around the USA and into South America.
I highly recommend this location when you are in Indy and need somewhere to call "home."

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Adrian V, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Indianapolis - West 86th St., responded to this review, March 5, 2013
I would like to personally thank you for taking the time to write such wonderful things about your experience. Our hotel is totally committed to the satisfaction of every guest who walks through our doors, which is why it is so rewarding to get feedback like yours; it tells us that we are delivering on that commitment. Our business is one in which the staff gets to know our guests, who sometimes stay with us for weeks or months. We believe that building a professional, courteous, and accommodating relationship with our customers will continue to bring them back for future stays. Of course, I was disheartened to read that your shower curtain wasn't replaced and that you weren't 100% satisfied with your stay. You certainly have my sincerest apologies.

Once again, I and the entire staff at our hotel thank you for your very kind words, and we'd love for you to continue staying here at Extended Stay America. Please don't hesitate to rely on me for your future stays at 317.334.7829 and ask for Jason Shirley and I will personally make your reservation for you here or at any other Extended Stay Hotels(sm) location.
Indianapolis Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

I have visited and stayed in this Property during December 2012 and came back in January 2013 The reception was great the rooms were clean and excellent in fact I had to ask for the same suite when I came back in January 2013 stayed went and came back on the 21st January 2013 and was put in the same Suite clean excellent rooms.The property has the Best receptionist and attendants and staff. The Management is Excellent .You feel at home and in a safe secure environment . People like the Manager the attendants at the front desk like Kimberly Kristi Aston etc are great workers at the front desk congratulations for all your efforts to keep us comfortable.Working business travelers have this place convenient for their stay.this is bernard

Room Tip: The rooms are great with well spaced suites and studios I prefer higher floors are specious and qui...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Adrian V, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Indianapolis - West 86th St., responded to this review, January 29, 2013
I would like to personally thank you for taking the time to write such wonderful things about your experience. Our hotel is totally committed to the satisfaction of every guest who walks through our doors, which is why it is so rewarding to get feedback like yours; it tells us that we are delivering on that commitment. Our business is one in which the staff gets to know our guests, who sometimes stay with us for weeks or months. We believe that building a professional, courteous, and accommodating relationship with our customers will continue to bring them back for future stays. Thank you Bernard for the kind words and know you are always welcomed to stay here and we welcome you back for future stays.

Once again, I and the entire staff at our hotel thank you for your very kind words, and we'd love to see you here again at the. Please don't hesitate to call on me for your future stays at 317.334.7829 and ask for Jason Shirley and I will personally make your reservation for you here or at any other Extended Stay Hotels(sm) location.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

We were disappointed in nearly every aspect of our stay. The staff was unhelpful, UNPROFESSIONAL, and at times rude. On several occasions they spoke negatively about other guests in front of me while I waited in the lobby. They did not have some services that were advertised and were completely unapologetic about it. Many areas were dirty, and we weren't sure if the room was cleaned before we came and we KNOW the hallways, common areas were not. The bathtub stopper not only didn't work, but didn't fit at all and was completely broken. The kitchen amenities were very lacking - dishwasher didn't drain and pots & pans were awful. Hole in the wall between living room and bedroom so there is no blocking out the sound. "Continental breakfast" is TERRIBLE. Some days it is a muffin and a piece of fruit, and the other days it is a plain bagel and a piece of fruit. I have seen other hotels with a spread better than that upheld 24 hours a day in the lobby. The gym opens "whenever we get around to it," so it was never open before my husband had to be at work, and the breakfast as well didn't start until 7:00am so it is not very business-friendly.

Pluses are that there is a TV in the living room and the bedroom, and the couch is a pull-out bed (although it is TERRIBLY uncomfortable).

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Adrian V, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Indianapolis - West 86th St., responded to this review, January 21, 2013
I recently received a copy of your review of our hotel. Our company prides itself on excellent guest service, so it was gratifying to read your feedback about our staff. I would like to give you my most heartfelt apology regarding the part of your stay that was not satisfactory.

I am happy to be able to respond to you in this forum, as we never want a guest to feel like his or her concerns go unheard. I certainly understand your desire for more items on our Continental Breakfast menu. We recently just changed our breakfast to a Grab and Go Breakfast and have added more items since you stayed here.

Let me apologize again that your stay was not completely satisfying, and assure you that we will continue to listen to our guests in forums like this one or directly (please visit our website and click the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page). I hope we have addressed your concern satisfactorily, and that you would give us the pleasure of having you as a guest again at this hotel or any other brand locations in the future.
Littleton, Colorado, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

Clean rooms, pleasant staff, and good breakfast. We have been traveling more frequently for business, and found your staff and our experience to be rather enjoyable. The hotel amenities are accomodating to the business traveler, and basically had everything I would need to complete my assignments. I was fond of the staff, who were eager to help me out if I had a concern or needed a change in anything. Thanks again...I will highly recommend this hotel to our management and friends looking for recommendations.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Adrian V, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Indianapolis - West 86th St., responded to this review, January 14, 2013

Bloomington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

I stayed at this property and was surprised at how attentive the staff was. The check in process went great and I didn't even have a reservation. Kristy is a great asset to your company, by the way. I asked a housekeeper for a pillow and she was eager to help. Will definitely stay again when I am in town.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

First, I arrived with as part of a group that had a block of reservations. I had a confirmation number and was listed in the group, but the check in attendant told me that my reservation was for the night before. She told me there was no room available. Eventually she found a room but told me I couldn't have the discounted rate that the block was getting. At this point, one of my kids was crying and upset because we didn't have a room, so I didn't argue any further. I found out the guy who made my reservation (apparently incorrectly) was "terminated."

On our way to the room, we encounter dogs in the hallway. Apparently, this hotel is pet friendly. Good if you have pets, bad if you have allergies or want to sleep without barking. We finally make it to our room and there is a large black bug laying dead in the middle of the room. I scoop it up and throw it away, hoping it's alone. The filter was out of the airconditioning unit, and when I was putting it back in, I found crumpled up wad of paper by the couch.

When we went to get towels for the pool, there weren't any available. They were to be done in about 40 minutes....along with the sheets for the pull out couch. When they were finally done, there were no pillows available. Somewhere along the trip to and from my room, we encountered more dogs. One person alone had 5. All of them barking at me and blocking the entire hallway as I tried to get through. In the 6 rooms towards our end of the hall, I counted 8 dogs. That made for a fun night as the barking dogs were taken outside to do their business.

Finally after getting the kids to sleep, I noticed a strong smell of dog urine which I hadn't smelled up to this point. I tried to tell myself I was imagining it, but it just kept following me it seemed. Then I realized it was because I had been walking on the carpet with my socks on. My socks smelled like dog urine.

All in all, it was not a good stay from the reservations, to the cost not being adjusted (due to someone else's error), to the lack of cleanliness and clean towels and linens. I would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Don't get a room by an outside door. Since the hotel is pet friendly, you will hear lots of open...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Adrian V, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Indianapolis - West 86th St., responded to this review, October 30, 2012

I am eager to respond to your issue. Please know that we strive to provide our guests with a relaxing home away from home experience. We do have systems in place to ensure that outside noise doesn't interfere with a guest's stay. Additionally, our hotels are constructed in such a way as to mitigate the noise from outside disturbances. In the event that you are disturbed by an outside event while in your room, a call to the front desk usually ensures a rapid resolution. In your case, we recognize that we failed to operate according to our standard practices, which caused the disturbance to last longer that it should have.

Been to Extended Stay America - Indianapolis - West 86th St.? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Extended Stay America - Indianapolis - West 86th St.

Address: 8520 Northwest Blvd, Indianapolis, IN 46278 (Formerly Homestead Studio Suites)
Location: United States > Indiana > Indianapolis
Ranked #109 of 183 Hotels in Indianapolis
Hotel Class:2.5 star — Extended Stay America - Indianapolis - West 86th St. 2.5*
Homestead Studio Suites hotels feature all the amenities you need to live your life when you're on the road. Whether it's for a day, a week, or a month you are sure to enjoy our suites' many features including: a fully-equipped kitchen with a full-size refrigerator; Free WiFi;heated indoor pool; fitness room; continental breakfast; ample work space, and plenty of room to relax. Guests staying for extended stays will especially appreciate our voice-mail system which allows personalized messages from our guests, and an on-site laundry facility. Homestead Studio Suites Indianapolis - Northwest is the ideal choice for groups traveling for business or pleasure. Indianapolis is home to many successful companies such as Eli Lilly; Brightpoint; Conseco; Duke Realty; Interactive Intelligence and many others. Additionally local attractions within a short distance of the hotel include: The Indianapolis Children’s Museum, Indianapolis Museum of Art, Indianapolis Motor Speedway, Indianapolis Zoo, Conseco Fieldhouse, Lucas Oil Stadium, and the Midwest Sports Complex just to name a few. So next time you are in Indianapolis, make the right choice and choose the Homestead Studio Suites Indianapolis - Northwest.Homestead Studio Suites hotels are part of the Extended Stay Hotels family. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Extended Stay, Travelocity, Orbitz, Priceline, Hotels.com, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Extended Stay America - Indianapolis - West 86th St. reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Homestead Indianapolis Northwest

If you own or manage Extended Stay America - Indianapolis - West 86th St., register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.