“I honestly can't think of why anyone would stay here.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Days Inn & Suites Indianapolis NW

You added Days Inn & Suites Indianapolis NW to your Saves list
Days Inn & Suites Indianapolis NW
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3910 Payne Branch Rd, Indianapolis, IN 46268 (Formerly Signature Inn Indy Northwest)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Plan Ahead and Save 15%
Ranked #118 of 183 Hotels in Indianapolis
San Francisco, CA
“I honestly can't think of why anyone would stay here.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2012

So I usually don't post negative reviews and I'll try to keep this factual, but this stay was so bad I felt compelled to post. A couple of notes. We were here over superbowl weekend. So we paid way too much for this room (although I can't think of a price I could pay that would make me feel good about the stay), and the hotel was sold out. Some of this might not apply as much if there were fewer people in the hotel.

Clean: The sheets and towels seemed clean enough, but the rest of the place was pretty gross. The blanket on the bed was really beat up, and there was a chair in our room that looked like it came from someone's dorm room. I'm not exaggerating. I added a photo of it which if you zoom in you can see it. The black mark at the top is ground-in dirt from people's heads. The arms and seat were stained with ground-in dirt and other unidentified things. Pretty disgusting.

Staff: Really friendly and helpful. To be fair, everyone in Indiana seems this way. It was a really nice surprise to find so many friendly people around you the entire trip. I would imagine most hotels in this area would have friendly, helpful people so while this was a plus, I'm not sure it would be unique.

Facility: Pretty run down in general. Dingy was the word that kept coming to mind. It has a pool which seemed unique for hotels in this area. We didn't use it.

Location: It is located in the north-northwest corner of the indy circle. It was an easy drive into the city (25 minutes on highway), but if it wasn't superbowl w/e you can stay in the city if you like.

Noise: Unbearable. Let's start inside the room. The refrigerator goes on and off about a dozen times in the night. When it starts up, it sounds like a car starting. Same with the heat or A/C. Once they are going they are just a very loud hum, but the on/off is pretty loud and they are not synchronized so you will have to deal with this from one of them about 20 times an night

Outside the room. In a hotel there is always the occasional noise from the hallway or the slamming of a door, but this hotel in particular seems to have the thinnest walls/doors I have ever encountered. Every noise makes it into the room. We had to call the front desk all three nights because our neighbor liked to fall asleep with the TV on. It doesn't have to be loud because once things settle down, we could still hear him breathing in his sleep. We were also awoken one morning to our other neighbor in his bathroom. It sounded like there was just a curtain between us. I won't get into details, but it was a really awful. Again, if you stayed here normally maybe you wouldn't have neighbors and would just have to deal with the inside noises and housekeeping.

The housekeeping folks come down the hall talking as loud as they can around 8am. They do this for about 15 minutes before they start cleaning the rooms. They will also ignore your do not disturb sign and knock on the door around 8:30-8:45 and if you don't answer, try to come in. We heard many other people yelling at them to get out.

In the end, you start to look forward to the refrigerator and heating noise to drown out all of the other stuff. The problem is they go off so then you hear it all again, as well as the loud noises when they start up.

Oh, and we also ran out of hot water on Sunday so there were no showers. Again, it was sold out so some of this might not apply on normal days, but why take the chance.

We travel a lot and stay in everything from motels in the sticks to 5-star places. I like to think we are pretty open minded and appreciate the context we are in, but with all of the choices for hotels in this area I can't think of a single reason you would want to take the chance on staying here. There has to be a dozen better choices you could pick.

This hotel needs a major upgrade to fix the dirty and noise issues. It doesn't seem like they have put any real money into this hotel for a decade.

Room Tip: A good room would be in the embassy suites or motel 6 on either side of this hotel.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
indydaysinn_11, Director of Sales at Days Inn & Suites Indianapolis NW, responded to this review, February 8, 2012
We certainly do apologize for any inconvenience you felt during your stay with us but do feel compelled to address the issues listed in your review allowing our side of things to be seen as well.
Yes, this was a very busy (sold out) time for a stay with us, which does change things a little, not in regard to service by any means, but noise volume definitely would be different as well as rooms that are not used as often on a normal basis were rented out to accommodate the large volume of people coming to our city. We do pride ourselves in the cleanliness we are offering to our guests for sure and I had no idea of the condition you found the chair in your room, I certainly could have had it removed and replaced for you. As you can see we are a rather large hotel, some rooms do not get used as often and without "issues" being brought to us, we are unable to fix them. I am glad you found our staff to be very friendly, we do have a very good crew and while you most definitely would find good crews at other hotels as well, that does not take from the crew we have by any means and we do have a unique crew, just as the other hotels do I am sure.

In regard to the facility we are constantly doing things to improve whether it's with the facility itself, training staff, or any number of things.

To address the noise issues you mentioned, I stayed at the hotel all weekend for the event and never received any complaints from my front staff as I would have addressed them the best way possible. However, during the Super Bowl it is also a different situation for the simple fact that people are there to achieve different schedules with the events down town and while it is definitely hoped that everyone would be considerate of others, people are coming and going at different hours and with 137 rooms, that certainly is a lot of people with different schedules. I am very sorry that this was a nuisance to you and I would have loved the opportunity to fix this to the best of my ability. Again, I was in house the whole weekend and did not notice the problem nearly to the extent you mention or I would have certainly handled it on my own.

As far as housekeeping is concerned, I think there must be a mistake. Our housekeeping staff does not even come in to work until 9 a.m. and they clean breakfast and then go down to the housekeeping room to get their carts ready for the day. I do think you probably did hear people about for sure getting ready for their day and walking through the halls, but housekeeping would not have been up and down the hallways until at least 9:15-9:30. I apologize if they tried to come in while your sign was on your door for sure, they definitely know not to do that and I will reinforce that point with them immediately.

As far as your refrigerator and heater are concerned, again, we have several rooms in our hotel and when there is not a huge event in town some of them go some time without being rented. This makes for a problem when no one is telling us of issues in the rooms as I am sure you can see. Had I known of these things, we had maintenance on hand all weekend as well to fix issues just like this. The hot water issue you mention was taken to maintenance immediately and was fixed as soon as he knew about it, so I do apologize that it affected you but it was handled immediately.

In closing I do want to apologize that you were not completely satisfied. I do hope you will take the time to call the hotel and let us know which room you were in so that we can fix the problems in your room for the next guest, as I assume the reason for the review is to bring light to a situation we need to fix, however, it was not brought to our attention during the stay so it would have most definitely been overlooked as we have had nothing but happy guests checking out with us. We had a hotel full of people and I heard nothing but positive all weekend and during check outs, so I do not want to let your situation go unresolved. Also, please note that the hotel has been in the process of upgrading, but it definitely does take some time to get to everything, but we certainly do pride ourselves in our hotel and try very hard to please our guests.

Again, I apologize for any issues you had and do hope that you will contact us with a room number so that any maintenance issues can be resolved.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Oakwood, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2012

My dad was having a procedure at St Vincent's and I found this hotel on google. I called to find out this hotel has handicap rooms and a St Vincent's rate. This helped us out so much due to bad weather that was coming into the area. The staff was wonderful!! I was informed by the manager that they work with several hospitals in the area. They have a breakfast and I thought it was wonderful! The part I loved the most was this was the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in for a hotel. I was expecting it to be a brick like most hotels. I would recommend this hotel to anyone and will come back to stay again.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2011

Found this on hotwire and got a good deal. The room was clean and the staff was friendly. There are a ton of restaurants in the area which is good. If you are looking for something safe, clean and a good value...I would reccomend this hotel and would stay again.

• Stayed December 2011
indydaysinn_11, Director of Sales at Days Inn & Suites Indianapolis NW, responded to this review, January 23, 2012
Thank you so much for the kind words! We look forward to seeing you again!
Carmel, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2011

Got a killer deal on this hotel. Clean and plenty good for a place to crash for the night.

• Stayed November 2011
indydaysinn_11, Director of Sales at Days Inn & Suites Indianapolis NW, responded to this review, November 23, 2011
We hope to see you again!
KY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

The room was a little musty smelling where it had been closed up without the air running. It just needs a little updating. We needed a room for a softball tournament and group of us ended up staying here. The price wasn't bad. The free breakfast was descent. Did not get a chance to check out the pool area but was told that it was nice. The attendant, Marcia, was very nice.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
indydaysinn_11, Director of Sales at Days Inn & Suites Indianapolis NW, responded to this review, September 13, 2011
Thank you so much for staying with us and taking the time to let us know what you thought of our hotel. We definitely take any suggestions and try to improve!! We hope to see you again!
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2011

I was involed in a automobile accident with severe back issues.One of the reasons we picked this hotel was because of the spa and heated pool for my back. The was ice cold and indoors and the spa was filthy with brown foam on the top complained to front desk she called the owner he came down and said he changex water. The water was dirty and hottub had dirt in the bottom of it.

• Stayed September 2011
indydaysinn_11, Director of Sales at Days Inn & Suites Indianapolis NW, responded to this review, September 23, 2011
I would like to apologize for any inconvenience you experienced at our hotel. We work very hard to keep the pool and hot tub in good working order and have very strict guidelines by which they are required to be maintained. I sincerely apologize if you feel that we did not meet your expectations this time and want you to know that we have addressed any necessary issues with our staff to prevent future issues of this nature.
Racine, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2011

Nice, clean, affordable hotel. The staff was very friendly and apologetic when our room wasn't quite available yet upon check-in. The pool was large and warm and the breakfast was very good. There are several nearby restuarants including some within walking distance. I would stay here again if I returned to Indy.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
indydaysinn_11, Director of Sales at Days Inn & Suites Indianapolis NW, responded to this review, September 5, 2011
Thank you so much, we are glad you enjoyed your stay with us!

Been to Days Inn & Suites Indianapolis NW? Share your experiences!