“Amazing!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #451 of 1,921 Restaurants in Indianapolis
Cuisines: Mexican
“Amazing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

Great service and huge portions! Steak fajitas are the best! I only had a lunch portion and I'm stuffed! Ask for Olga! She's speedy and always has a smile!

indianapolis
“We really enjoyed our experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We visited the location on High School Road. The service was good. The food was not the 'standard' that you get at other local Mexican restaurants. They offered a free bowl of a tomato based soup that had potatoes and carrots that had a lot of flavor. The chips were hot and crisp The salsa had lots of chunky onion and fresh cilantro. The portion sizes were ample. The only complaint that I have in regards to the meal was the iced tea. It had a very strange flavor to it. They have a jukebox that plays music VERY loudly which was a little obtrusive. Luckily only two songs were selected while we were there.

• Visited February 2013
Clinton, Washington
“Take my word for it--it's good!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

My husband and I were car shopping on the west side of Indy and asked someone at the dealership for a recommendation of where to eat around there. He said with a big smile, "What are you in the mood for?" I said, "Mexican!" He drew me a map to Taqueria El Maguey. We went there and it was a cute place I thought, with the ladies in the back working the dough for the dishes. I ordered fajitas and they brought enough for two or more people. It was loaded with shrimp, beef, chicken. Another bowl with guacamole, lettuce and tomatoes and onion also accompanied my meal as well as a plateful of refried beans and cheese. My husband ordered a chicken dish. He ate it all. Their salsa and chips was delicious. The server could have been a little more attentive and faster, but we plan on going back and tasting more dishes. The cost totaled 26.14 which included a Coke and water. We liked this place a lot!!

• Visited July 2012
Indianapolis
“Hope you speak a little Spanish...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2012

Great, authentic Mexican food, but our waitress did not speak any English. Fortunately, my daughter is a Spanish/English teacher and she got us through the ordering with no problem at all. Other than tat, the service was excellent and the food was outstanding. The atmosphere leaves a little to be desired, but the overall experience was well worth the visit.

• Visited February 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Hoover
“A fabulous authentic Mexican Restaurant in Indianapolis”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

Sometimes, you get the best tips from folks you meet on flights into the city in which they live, and this was one of those instances. During my January 10 flight from ATL to IND, I began chatting with the gentleman sitting to my left (Alex R.), a native of Mexico who had immigrated to the USA many years ago and now owns his own business in Indianapolis. We touched on my love for authentic Mexican food, and he told that Indy has a great local place: El Maguey.

I was staying at the JW Marriott (downtown), and El Maguey is a $21.50 taxi ride each way, but making the trip with a friend cut the fare in half, and it was cab fare well-spent.

The restaurant does not look like much from the outside, sitting in a meager strip mall, but when you walk it you see a true Mexican-style setting, and the menu to match. All I can say is WOW, this is the real deal. Very little in the way of Americanized stuff; instead, an emphasis on what I ate in rural Mexico, even down to the Mexican-style hot chocolate (thick) that is only available from late-Fall into the early Spring.

My fajitas were terrific, served with corn tortillas and piled high. The side items were fresh, the re-fried beans were about the best I've had outside Mexico and the price was reasonable. Two people could have shared this dish and been happy.

My friend went for a combo plate that matched a burrito with some other traditional Mexican items and he was delighted. The chips were served very warm and the salsa had the kind of "kick" that true aficionados appreciate. The guacamole was chunky and had the right flavor, with the nice hint of garlic and lime juice and plenty of chopped tomato and onion to give it that rich taste.

I highly, and I mean HIGHLY recommend this place, and can't wait to spend another $21.50 to get there!! Hopefully, next time there will be four of us in the cab and we'll cut that price in half again!

• Visited January 2012