“Great Hotel (A little room to improve)” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Indianapolis

You added The Westin Indianapolis to your Saves list
The Westin Indianapolis
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   50 South Capitol Ave., Indianapolis, IN 46204 (Downtown Indianapolis)   |
Ranked #39 of 183 Hotels in Indianapolis
Middleton, Idaho
“Great Hotel (A little room to improve)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2014

I spent a few days at this hotel during a business trip to Indianapolis. The location is a little bit away from downtown Indianapolis (use Google Map), however, that could be a positive and a negative. The positive is that you get away from the clutter and noise of downtown but are still very close. The negative is that it's a little further than walking distance to get to places located in the center of downtown. A quick $6 cab ride will get you most places, but I would hate to walk to downtown in the heat or worse yet, the snow. Cabs were readily available and the staff was very attentive, friendly and top notch. The hotel looked new and modern and the room was very clean and comfortable. The bed provided a very comfortable sleep, the waterfall shower was great and the robe and complimentary bottle of water was a nice touch. The buffet was very good, offering the basic eggs, bacon, potatoes, etc. but could have used an omelet or waffle bar for the price. The hotel also had $4 sodas/snacks in the mini fridge and to rent a movie was about $15, which was a little overpriced. Internet and parking were also a little overpriced as was room service; $25 after service charge and tip for a slice of chocolate cake and a soda. I guess there was no real value to speak of over the other surrounding large chain luxury hotels, but overall, the stay was very pleasant and I would recommend to the business traveler or convention goer.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 stars
WestinIndyGM, General Manager at The Westin Indianapolis, responded to this review, August 30, 2014
Thanks for the great review and the great feedback about your breakfast buffet experience. We'll pass that information along to the Shula's team so that they can use it to improve the guest experience.

Urbana, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2014

Every year we make the trek out to Indianapolis to attend Gen Con. Our ideal stay includes a spacious room for 3, adequate access to food at many hours, and some location that is within easy walking access of the convention center. The Westin Indianapolis provided these things at a reasonable cost. Their deluxe king room accommodations included a comfortable king size bed with reading lights, a fold out sofa, a comfy chair (sans rack), and a desk with chair. We don't generally use the TV in the room because we're all about board games, so I vaguely recall that there was one and it was a fair size. One incredibly pleasant surprise was the newly added refrigerator already available in the room. This made bringing along some healthier food to snack on much easier. I do enjoy the showers at the Westin properties, and this had the usual rain shower head and wand, and there was adequate counter space, but I do feel that the bathroom was a little on the cramped side. This must be a side effect, I figure, of the amount of space allocated for each room.
The staff was all very attentive and amiable, and our requests were filled promptly. Unfortunately, I didn't have time to try out their pool, time being short and all, but I plan to stay here again and I will certainly have to do so this upcoming time.
There are a few things that I would love to see change, personally, but they don't really detract from the standard experience much at all. One is that I would much prefer a sofa table to an ottoman, even if the aforementioned ottoman was sufficient for gaming. The other main thing is that I would be ever grateful if they would extend their food service hours during the Gen Con days so that I can easily find a meal as soon as I end my volunteer shift at midnight. Shula's, their in hotel steakhouse, had a rather tasty breakfast (we ordered off the menu, not the buffet).
tl;dr I like this place bunches, and I will certainly come back again.

Room Tip: We thoroughly enjoyed the view from a higher floor.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thanks for the great review and the fantastic feedack about the room. We tried hard to reconfigure the bathroom during our recent guest room renovation. The biggets opportunity we have is with the placement of the heat pump for the room. Since we couldnt move that, the thing we were able to do is reposition the vanity, which gave us more storage space and a place to put the towels and other terry items.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2014 via mobile

Staying at the Westin this year for Gen Con has been the best experience I've had over the five years I've attended the convention. The staff were amazing, extremely helpful, and informative. Our room was always stunning, clean, and it was a relief to be able to come back to it as a haven from the Con madness. Ease of access to the Indianapolis Convention Centre is the main reason I book this particular hotel and I was impressed by the short amount of time it took to get from my room to the centre. Our view was amazing and I also appreciated the Starbucks coffee in the room, as well as the lobby. Solid partnership there. I will definitely be returning next year.

• Stayed August 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars
Wow, thanks for the wonderful review and the great comments about the hotel, expecially Starbucks. We look forward to GenCon every year, the people are fantastic, and the atmosphere is always exciting.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2014

I've stayed at the Westin several times over the years and always had a good experience. They recently renovated making it an even nicer stay. I had a great weekend and wish it could have lasted longer.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thanks for the great review and for your wonderful comments about our newly renovated rooms. We appreciate that you choose to stay with us and look forward to seeing you again.
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2014

Stayed three nights to attend Convention. The Convention Centre is across the road.....so a great location.

Booked a suite room, and was given corner room.

The bathroom could do with a remodel....but oaky fro a few days.

Went to eat at little bar next to hotel, what an awesome place. Right outside the hotel on the left.

The Club Room is in a room off the Lobby. Very strange, have never seen anything like this ins any hotel.The breakfast selection was very very limited, most likely better in the main restaurant.
I found the Club Room not to my liking.

The hotel is close to the center of town, and a very easy walk.

Would stay here again if in the area.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars
WestinIndyGM, General Manager at The Westin Indianapolis, responded to this review, August 29, 2014
Thanks for the great review and the great feedback about the Westin Executive Club Lounge. We truly appreciate the comments and will make sure we incorporate that into our service delivery.
South Bend
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2014

My new wife and I stayed at the Westin this last weekend and we could not have been happier! The hotel is newly renovated and is super clean! The location downtown is unmatched; near the Circle Center Mall and great dining. The staff was absolutely fantastic; we were treated like royalty. A special thanks to Henry at the front desk who was just great (Note to The Westin, you should promote this guy as he certainly knows how to take care of your guests!) Thanks again for a great weekend!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JeffSB
WestinIndyGM, General Manager at The Westin Indianapolis, responded to this review, August 28, 2014
Thank you for the incredible review. We really appreciate your kind comments and can't wait for you to come back again. Henry will appreciate hearing about your great experience.
Kokomo, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2014 via mobile

This was our first experience at The Westin and we would definitely return. The price was very reasonable for the convenient downtown location. We specifically wanted a hotel that was connected to the skywalk since we were in town on a hot, humid, stormy weekend to attend a Colts game and do some shopping at Circle Center Mall. When I called to book a traditional room I was originally given a rate of $139 plus fees & taxes. J mentioned I had seen a rate of $119 on TripAdvisor and was immediately given that rate. That being said, I'm pretty sure that resulted in our "lovely" view of the asphalt roof and brick walls - haha! - but we weren't there for the view so it was no big deal this time. I also requested an early check-in and was told that we could check in around noon although there was no guarantee. We checked in at 12:30 pm quickly & efficiently. There was no line and at least 4 desk clerks on duty. Since we were staying to shop the next day, we chose valet parking which is $35 but we were told we could have our vehicle brought up to the drive and leave it there while we shopped. Very convenient and very appreciated. The room was comfortable although there were only double beds. I didn't even know that size mattress was still made! With a husband who is 6'2" and built like a football player, it felt a bit cramped. Even the 2 kiddos who had to share a bed said it was crowded (ages 16 & 11). I was expecting queen size beds which seem to be the standard in most hotels. The beds were comfortable but the pillows were not - very flat & past their prime. The bathroom was small, but clean and the shower had a wonderful showerhead. We chose not to use room service since the prices were crazy. Likewise, we did not take anything from the stocked snack/drink bar. Sorry, there is no way in heck I will pay $4.50 for a pack of peanut M&M's that cost less than a dollar at the corner CVS! There is a small refrigerator in the room, but no microwave. Check out was super easy and we will definitely stay at the Westin again.

• Stayed August 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank limyers
Thanks for the great review and the great feedback about the room. We appreciate your comments and will make sure to act upon them.