“Westin Indianapolis is okay” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Indianapolis

You added The Westin Indianapolis to your Saves list
The Westin Indianapolis
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   50 South Capitol Ave., Indianapolis, IN 46204 (Downtown Indianapolis)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #33 of 183 Hotels in Indianapolis
Honolulu, Hawaii
“Westin Indianapolis is okay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

We were there for a conference on May 20 - May 24. Weather was very nice at high 70 to mid 80. Night time was a bit cool at high 50 to low 60. The second day we were there there was a hail storm in the late afternoon. During the day it was nice and sunny though. That was a total shock to us who are not used to this type of dramatic weather change. The rest of the stay in Indy was nice.

Okay, about the hotel. It was clean, outside and inside. Free wifi at the lobby, Fee if use in hotel room. Check in was easy and quick. Professional staff, but could use a little more smile, I think. The room we were in has a safe (free of charge), hair dryer, coffee, closet. The bathroom is way to small. If you open the door and swing it all the way, it blocks you from entering the shower. And because the toilet is right by the shower, if the door is swing half way, you won't have room to use the toilet. Having two people using the bathroom is crowded. This is the first time we ever experience a small bathroom that just does not match the rest of the hotel. The bedroom is fine. Bed was comfortable. But the AC unit in that room was way too noisy. Every time it starts it would sounds like a car engine starting.

There is a gym and a pool on the same floor, I think it was on the third floor. Decent size gym with free weights and cardio machines, bike and elliptical. Water was available so are towels. No attendant on site. The pool was a bit shallow with 4.5 feet deep. No life guard on duty. That one afternoon we decided to go to the pool, there was a father with two kid, probably 9 or 10 years old, playing football in the pool. Splashing water all over the glass wall, chairs, towels on the chair. The father didn't seem to care. They were having fun. We cut our pool usage to about 15 minutes. Usually we spend at least half an hour in the pool and get a good workout. But not this time. I read the signage and nowhere on the sign says they cannot play football in the pool so I didn't say anything to the father. There was a few signs that says no diving and guess what the father is the first one to dive into the pool. Some role model.

The hotel has a gift shop, a Starbucks, Shula's Steak House (yup, its that famous undefeated Miami Dolphin coach Don Shula). If you hang out the do not disturb sign so they don't have to clean your room, you get 5 dollar credit (one per day) good toward gift shop and Starbucks. Not sure if good for the steakhouse.

Overall, the hotel is okay. Would I stay there again. Maybe. I probably would check other hotels nearby first though.

Room Tip: I would ask to change room if the ac in your room is too noisy.
Green Features: By not having them clean your room and you reuse the towels, you help the hotel save on water and detergent which benefit the hotel and the environment. Ultimately, we all benefit from it.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
WestinIndyGM, General Manager at The Westin Indianapolis, responded to this review, May 30, 2014
Thanks for the great feedback, you certainly covered all the bases.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
Waterford, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

My son and I arrived early on a Friday for the Mini-Marathon held each year in the downtown area. The ease of registration, finding our room and the amenities were wonderful. The hotel has all the qualities of being "the downtown hotel" of choice for Indianapolis.

Room Tip: Our room was great as it looked over the convention center vs. the street that the runners started o...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
WestinIndyGM, General Manager at The Westin Indianapolis, responded to this review, May 15, 2014
Thank you for the great comments about your stay and experience on Mini Marathon weekend. We truly appreciate that you chose to stay with us and that you shared your experience.
PA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

I would rate this hotel stay as POOR for the following reasons:
INCOMING: Disjointed check-in location, out of the way and confusingly staffed. While I was reserved in a King room, I did not get one. Sort of like the Seinfeld episode, where Jerry "reserved" a car, but they did not actually "have" the car. When asked, the desk clerk said they do not guarantee the type of room you reserve. Well then, why ask?
THE ROOM: Again, not a King as reserved. The sleep quality was also deemed poor, I felt like I was in an incubator in that bed. The bathroom was laid out very poorly for a King room, not enough room to open the door and get in the shower at the same time, let alone use the toilet. I have not seen a "mini-bar" in probably 20 years, but there was one here, with a sign "this is not a refrigerator". Hmmm.
THE CHECKOUT: The elevator to the parking garage was not working on the day everyone was leaving the convention. Therefore you could not go down the steps if someone was going up, or vice versa. Most people had a lot of luggage, or trade show baggage, lugging it, and banging down the steps. Also, on top of the room rate, the highest offered for the conference, the parking was another $29 per day, or $35 for valet.
FINALLY: I can't really complain about the bill, as I did not get one. When asked at checkout if I wanted the bill printed or emailed, I mistakenly said "emailed". Big mistake. To date, I have still not received a copy. I should remember to always get a copy, at least for review, in light of mini-bar, hotel bar, restaurant, parking, and other amenities, plus I have no idea what city, state and local taxes were added.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
WestinIndyGM, General Manager at The Westin Indianapolis, responded to this review, May 14, 2014
Thanks for the great feedback TShell, we appreicate it and will use it to help us improve our service going forward. Our apologies for the parking garage elevator being out of service on your departure. Our awesome bell staff would have been more than happy to help you with your luggage or even store it while you brought your car around. Let us know if you have not recieved your folio and we'll get it to you right away.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

The hotel facilities and location are excellent, but the helpful and professional staff make my stays really enjoyable. The Green Choice option allows you to opt out of housekeeping in exchange for bonus reward points. This is a great feature.

Green Features: I love the Westin's Green Choice option, which allows you to opt out of housekeeping in exchange for credit at the hotel restaurant or bonus points added to your stay.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Thanks for the great comments Jon, we truly appreciate it. We hope to see you again soon.
Gainesville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

great location, beautiful downtown, river walk.
As Becca1484 states, I also had to wait until after 7pm to get into my room. If the Westin had bought me a glass of wine while I waited, I would probably have felt less bitter. But that was the only negative. Workout room was well provisioned.

Green Features: love the discount for declining daily room service!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
WestinIndyGM, General Manager at The Westin Indianapolis, responded to this review, May 13, 2014
Thanks for the great feedback and my apologies for the delay getting into your room. I will pass along your comments to the team, our goal is to be more accommodating next time.
Laramie, WY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

Excellent experience. Very clean! Would definitely recommend. There was a large conference that left the night before so most of us who were checking in for our conference had to sit around for about an hour until our rooms were ready then you had to stand in line again to pick up your key. A bit annoying with some people cutting the line. That was really the only issue the entire time there. It would be nice if he hotel restaurant had some healthier eating options on the menu, but if you like steak and burgers and Caesar salad you will do fine.

Green Features: Loved the $5 daily coupon for refusing house keeping services that I could use at the hotel's Starbucks. I normally refuse housekeeping so it is nice to have the added benefit.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Thanks for your great feedback, I have passed your comments along to the Manager at Shula's so that they can use them to help improve the dining experience going forward.
Huntington, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

We were in Indianapolis during an important weekend, and when we tried to check in at the scheduled 3 pm check-in time, we were told the rooms were not ready and had to wait. 2 hours later we finally got to check into our room, but there was about 100 other guests waiting for theirs. I feel that the hotel should have been more prepared that this, and it took time out of our schedule while we had to wait. The facility was very clean, however, and the rooms were also. I didn't feel like it was quite a 4-star, but it was still a nice hotel. I've stayed in other 4-star hotels in the city and they had a more luxurious feel to them than the Westin did. I didn't have any interaction with the staff, other than check-in so I can't comment on that, but they looked very professional and willing to help. I also did appreciate the Starbucks coffee included in the room.

Room Tip: I'm not sure which direction my room faced, but we had a view of another hotel so there wasn'...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Thanks for the great feedback, we truly appreciate it. Our apologies for the delay in getting to your room.

Been to The Westin Indianapolis? Share your experiences!