“Average is the right rating: good location + LOTS of pricey extras.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Indianapolis

You added The Westin Indianapolis to your Saves list
The Westin Indianapolis
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   50 South Capitol Ave., Indianapolis, IN 46204 (Downtown Indianapolis)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #33 of 183 Hotels in Indianapolis
Virginia
“Average is the right rating: good location + LOTS of pricey extras.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011

Overall, the hotel is a fine conference hotel, but really nothing special. Typical higher-end property: big lobby, conference rooms: normal size room, TV. The bed was pretty comfortable. Rooms were pretty clean (although the hallway needed vacuumed badly through our stay).

The biggest issue was the constant nickel & dime. Parking was $28 with no in-&-out (meaning: if you run it up to $28, leave and come back, the price starts over). Valet was $32/day. Internet was $9.95 per day per device. In-room mini bar: just stay away (really - don't touch it). The finishing touch: take up a little of the counter space with a nice bottled water (read the tag - it's $4). Luggage cart? "Since they're so busy today" they'll bring one up with a bellman. Sigh...

They DID have a pretend-Starbucks (you know those - Starbucks sign, hotel employees - watch to make sure they make the drink right) which opened VERY early - a definite plus. Also, great location - easy walking distance (and gerbil-tubes connecting) to affordable, nice restaurants, Circle Center mall and Colts stadium.

I probably wouldn't stay here again - lots of other options in and near downtown Indy.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
WestinIndyGM, General Manager at The Westin Indianapolis, responded to this review, November 8, 2011
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your comments. I am very sorry that your over experience in our hotel was not what you had anticipated. I apologize for the inconveniences that you encountered. I do thank you for your positive comments regarding Starbucks hours or operation and our location. Please know that we are thankful to have been given the opportunity to host you and sincerely hope that we are able to do so again in the future.

Thank you for your honest feedback!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
evansville, in
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011

Westin Indy is my home away from home. Great service, friendly staff and the best beds in the industry. A bit pricey, but you get what you pay for. I have spent over 200 nights in the Westin Indy in the last 10 yrs and it is always my first choice.

Room Tip: Away from elevators on top 2 floors
South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

Stayed one night at the Westin in Indianapolis. Once we found the hotel (rush hour traffic, one way streets, kept missing the entrance), the hotel was very nice. We had a package which included parking, club level (evening snacks, breakfast) and internet access all of which was a great deal! Our room was clean and nicely appointed and the bed was comfortable. The staff in the club lounge were very nice and accomodating. The Pedways to the mall, convention center and other areas downtown were a great feature!

Room Tip: If you get a good rate, the club levele is a great value.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Woodmere, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2011

Hotel is nice and the rooms and Beds were comfortable. Nice gym. Starbucks on property. Hotel is in a great location.

Johns Creek, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2011

Except for the Engineering Staff (Barbara and Mark) who was truly sympathetic with their apologies (and offered free internet and free pay per view for the inconvenience,and tried to fix the problems), forget getting any sympathy from the front desk and of all places the executive administrative assistand (Gail H).

For a $179/night, what you get is a toilet that does not flush, telephones that don't work, poor room service, and poor communications at the front desk and empty, unsympathetic "apologies" form front desk and Executive Office. In addition you have to pay $10/day for internet at this rate.

I complained 3x about toilet not flushing. 1st engineer temporarily fixed the problem but said if it occurred again, inform the front desk that the mechanism has to be changed. When it happened a 2nd time I told front desk what engineer said.about replacing part. When it happened a 3rd time, the front desk said they had no record of any replacement request.

I asked to be transferred and they were able to find one and gave me a room that did not have a King bed (which is my original reservation) that had both phones inoperable so I had to call front desk through my cell. They did not even provide room service for the day.

I complained to the Executive Office to be transferred to the king bed and she had the gall to ask me if I had a Preferred Guest and how many more nights I was staying. When I asked what difference does it make if I did not have a Preferred Customer, she got defensive and grumpy. She said she would find a room. Since I had to run to a meeting, she said she would call my cell to see what she could do. As soon as I got of the elevator from their 3rd floor office to the Lobby (within 2 minutes), I got a call that there were no rooms available. Sure sounds like they really put an effort to accommodate a regular (non-Preferred Status) guest!!!

Room Tip: Do not stay in this hotel unless you want to be "pickpocketed" out of $179/night
Trenton, TN
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2011

This hotel is nice except for the rooms, bathroom was dirty, toilet didn't work just right. Do not touch the stuff in the other thing that looks like a fridge, it will cost you. There are no vending machines to get drinks. We ordered drinks through room service (bad idea) 2 cans drinks, 1 water and 2 glasses of ice cost us $18.00. So be prepared bring your own!!!! Beds are too small. Great location and personnel were extremely nice only good things I can say about this hotel.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
WestinIndyGM, General Manager at The Westin Indianapolis, responded to this review, October 26, 2011
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry to hear that you were displeased with your experience at our property and I apologize for the inconveniences that you experienced during your stay with us. Thank you for taking the time to inform us about the issues that you encountered and for your kind words in regards to our location and associates. I’m sincerely sorry that your room did not meet our standards and I truly hope that we will have the opportunity to host you again in the future.

Thank you!
Southern California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2011

I stayed here for a conference being held nearby. Everything in the downtown area is within walking distance and the Westin is centrally located. This is a typical Westin so the beds are very nice and room furnishings pretty good. The bathroom, though, is very small and feels very cramped. The public areas of the hotel were very nice including a large lobby, a Starbucks downstairs, free wifi and a very friendly staff. It also has a club lounge but you either have to pay extra ($40?) or get upgraded as a platinum SPG. I'm gold so I got nothing. Even the SPG floor was full so they relegated me to a lower floor. Sometimes I wonder whether it's worth being a gold SPG - I can get the same benefits without all the stays. Anyway, although I asked for the upgrade to the club level, it was politely denied. The Westin has an aboveground covered walkway that can take you to other parts of the city through a maze of tunnels. It's great when the weather is bad. Overall, it's a decent hotel in a nice location. However, it's getting a little old and they are a little stingy with upgrades.

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your feedback! I appreciate you taking the time to let us know what aspects of your stay that you enjoyed and what aspects you feel could be improved upon. I am so happy to hear that you were pleased with our location, rooms and staff as well as with our public areas. I apologize that the size of the bathroom did not meet your needs and that you felt overlooked as one of our preferred guests. Please know that we greatly value all of our SPG members and I sincerely apologize that our appreciation was not relayed to you appropriately. I do hope that we will have the opportunity to host you again when your travels bring you back to Indianapolis.

Thank You!

Been to The Westin Indianapolis? Share your experiences!