“Nice hotel with a few gripes” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Indianapolis

Save Saved
You added The Westin Indianapolis to your Saves list
The Westin Indianapolis
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   50 South Capitol Ave., Indianapolis, IN 46204 (Downtown Indianapolis)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #33 of 183 Hotels in Indianapolis
Alpharetta, Georgia
“Nice hotel with a few gripes”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2011

We stayed at the Westin Indianapolis hotel on Memorial Day weekend. We were in town to attend the Indy 500 race and this is where the hosting company booked us to stay.

The hotel has a business like feel to it, typical for hotels in downtown districts. The lobby is nice but not overly plush. There is a gift shop on the main level (ridiculous prices as you would expect) and many different conference rooms.

Our room was a standard king bed type room, we had a view of the Marriot next door and some rooftops (we were on the 9th floor). The room had a nice flat screen HD tv, looked like a 32 inch. There was a good selection of channels and the picture quality was good as well.

The bed was comfortable, the bedding is very heavy however so if you get warm while you sleep this will be noticeable. We had the thermostat set to 67 and we were still too warm with all the bedding.

There is a stocked snack bar/fridge in the room, don't touch it unless you like paying $5 for a bottle of water. We requested a fridge be brought to the room and it worked fine for drinks. There is a CVS drug store around the corner from the hotel, easy walking distance, where you can stock up on water, snacks, whatever.

The drapes did a good job of keeping the room dark while we slept. There is a desk area and also a small reading chair with ottoman. We didn't try the in room wifi because they wanted $10 a day for it, but the signal showed to be strong. I used my AT&T iPhone to get wifi to my iPad, got a good strong signal from our room for that.

Some gripes:

Very small bathroom, can hardly open the door without hitting the toilet.
No exhaust fan in the bathroom either, will get foggy immediately when taking a shower.
The valve to move water to the shower heads from the bath tub faucet was faulty and did not close completely, it was also very noisy.
There were no outlets by the bedside. There was a clock, lamp, and cordless phone but they all had cords that ran behind the bed. I like to plug in my phone by my nightstand and use it as an alarm clock and I couldn't do this. Minor but it was a pain.
I also couldn't get the fan to stay on, even when I turned off Auto and set it to high. It would stay on for a few minutes then cycle back to Auto and shut off. With no ceiling fan and the heavy bedding, you really need some airflow to be able to sleep comfortably and it was a challenge.

All in all it was a pretty good stay. The downtown area is nice and there are walkways to get you over to the mall area without having to go outside. There is an indoor pool that is decent and a small fitness area with treadmills and some weight machines. With a few tweaks this could have been even better but I would still recommend this in the right circumstances for people traveling to downtown Indianapolis.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
WestinIndyGM, General Manager at The Westin Indianapolis, responded to this review, June 2, 2011
Dear Dave,

Thank you so much for your comments. I am very happy to hear that your stay with us was an overall pleasant one and I appreciate your kind words as well as you letting us know what areas you felt could be improved. The opinions of our guests are of great value and you taking the time to share your thoughts in such great detail really allows us to know what areas we need to take a look at. I am sorry to hear that the temperature in your room was not ideal and that you had ongoing issues with the fan in your room/bathroom. Bringing our attention to issues is the only way that positive changes can be made and I assure you that we will look into the issues you have raised. Thank you for your valuable opinion and for staying with us to begin with. We hope to be able to host you again during any future trips you make to Indianapolis.

Thanks!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
West Palm Beach, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2011 via mobile

Looks very nice from the outside, but rooms smell funny, mold in the shower. Internet expensive. Front desk staff did not seem knowledge and in a hurry to get rid of you. Someone standing in line with me was told he could not get a receipt for his stay. Would not recommend to others.

• Stayed May 2011
WestinIndyGM, General Manager at The Westin Indianapolis, responded to this review, May 25, 2011
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. I am very sorry to hear that you had such an unpleasant experience during your stay with us. I would like to assure you that your experience is not standard and we will work to correct the issues that you have brought to our attention. We greatly appreciate your feedback as it is the comments made by our guests that help us to know what areas can be improved on in order to ensure more accommodating future stays. Please know that the appropriate departments will be informed and investigate the unacceptable issues in an effort to correct them. We would love to hear from you directly about your experience at our hotel. If you would be willing to give us more detail about your experience please contact our Director of Rooms at doug.dietrich@westin.com or at 317.231.3950.

I greatly hope that we will get the opportunity to host you again in any future trips that you make to Indianapolis. Your decision to lodge at the Westin Indianapolis is appreciated as is your review.
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2011

I fell outside of the hotel at the end of the drive. I couldn't get up immediately and a bellman named Gerald ran to help. Not only did he pick me up, but he walked me in holding my arms. He was a very humble and kind man. Once inside everyone was very accomadating.
I have stayed in this hotel many times. The service has always been good, but this was above and beyond.

Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2011

We stayed at the Westin for the Women's Big Ten Tournament. Every staff member went out of their way to make sure we had everything we needed and that our stay was a good one. The room was spacious and clean. The location downtown is within walking distance to many restaurants and shops and the mall.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Hoopeston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2011

I love this hotel! We were in Indy for a race at Lucas Oil and were within a few minutes walk to the stadium. Great location!
The room was great! We were in room 1008 which had an awesome view of the Capital Building. I had read reviews that it was has a small bathroom but I didn't think that at all. I was very satisfied with the size of the bathroom and the room.
We didn't use the parking at the hotel because there is a garage on the other side of the Marriott that was half the price.
I was very happy with this hotel and I would stay there again!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2011

I liked the Westin. It was a little walk to get to the good restaurants, but overall nice. Starbucks coffee in the room, as well as a Starbucks in the lobby. Check in was easy, and I had a nice room.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
NE Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2011

Overall a good stay. You have to pay for parking on top of the room. The desk staff wasn't really on top of things and the hotel is showing it's age. Overall a nice stay and very close the everything downtown.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family

Been to The Westin Indianapolis? Share your experiences!