“girls weekend 2014” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station)

You added Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station) to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station)
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   123 W Louisiana St, Indianapolis, IN 46225   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #61 of 183 Hotels in Indianapolis
INDY
“girls weekend 2014”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2014

Beautiful Hotel. Stayed in the train cars. They were so fun. A little pricey but worth it once. :). Downtown Indianapolis is a great place. We had endless things to do and hundreds of good places to eat. There is a starbucks right across the street. that is a big plus for me.

Room Tip: stayed in the train cars. Expensive but worth it one time. :)
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Trina W, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station), responded to this review, August 29, 2014
Thank you for choosing the Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown Union Station as your place to stay in Indianapolis! We appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel. Trina W. General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2014

LOCATION: The hotel is located at the southern end of downtown that runs north/south. It abuts a very wide railroad overpass running east/west. The Lucas Oil Stadium is just on the other side of the overpass as is the Amtrak/Greyhound station. The convention center is across the street and the beautiful St. John the Evangelist Catholic Church a long block to the north. To the north on both Illinois and Meridian Streets you will find restaurants galore.

THE HOTEL: The hotel is part of once what was the Union Station complex although it is still active in parts for transportation functions. The layout is quirky, unusual but interesting. White statuary is displaced through the common areas. The hotel is essentially in an atrium that seems to contain the noise.

THE ROOM: We had a spacious, gorgeous room, beautifully decorated and very clean. It had a very nice desk chair and a comfortable easy chair with ottoman. The wash basin was separate from the room containing the toilet and tub. The tub had a good shower head with good water pressure. We did have a refrigerator contrary to what one recent reviewer stated (it was contained within a cabinet).

THE BUT: We were forewarned from reading previous Trip Advisor reviews re the noise factor from trains and the swimming pool. The hotel swimming pool is in the atrium. We stayed on a Saturday and the pool was busy with screaming kids. Since we were on the first floor near the pool, the noise did get irritating after awhile. The pool doesn't close until 10 PM. As to the trains, the abutting railroad overpass is quite wide and I surmise there are several active tracks. Some of the train rumbling seemed rather muted and hardly noticeable; I presume it was on a more distant track. On the other hand, in the wee hours of the morning there was an extremely loud rumble causing vibration. I'm assuming it was on the nearest track. However, if you're a "railroad foamer," this just may be your cup of tea.

THE HOTEL RESTAURANTS: The hotel has two restaurants with different names although I'm certain food comes from a common kitchen. My partner and I ate lunch there followed by four of us having breakfast the following morning. Both times we ordered from the menu. Both times it took an extremely long time for our food to get out of the kitchen despite the place being rather dead during our lunch visit. You may wish to avoid if you're in a hurry unless you take advantage of the buffet if offered at breakfast (it was on Sunday). The service is courteous, the pricing decent as is the food.

Room Tip: Avoid swimming pool area to minimize noise.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Trina W, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station), responded to this review, August 27, 2014
Thank you for choosing the Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown Union Station as your place to stay in Indianapolis! Rest assured that your feedback will be taken into consideration in our efforts to continually monitor and improve the quality and services we offer. We appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel and hope to see you again soon! Trina W. General Manager
Douglaston, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

First time staying at this hotel. Stayed here for a Gaming Convention (GenCon). The location couldn't have been better! Directly connected to the convention center through a walkway. Check-in went smoothly, they even were able to give us a room closer to the convention center. We were warned about the train, heard it sometimes, but not enough to bother us. Rooms were clean and welcoming. The a/c worked wonderfully.
Location was also great for walking around downtown Indianapolis. There's a restaurant in the hotel but many nearby as well. Lucas Oil Stadium is right next door. There was a game one day, but it didn't affect the hotel. Did not have a chance to use the pool but it looked lovely. Decor is beautiful due to it being an old train station, there were even two long trains inside the hotel with rooms situated in those cars! Only thing that was weird were the all-white statues of people waiting to take a train but it was part of the decor and understood.
Valet/Concierge was great to get a taxi to airport.
Can't wait to stay again!

Room Tip: Ask to be moved closer to the convention center if needed.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Trina W, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station), responded to this review, August 20, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We hope to be your place to stay the next time you are in Indianapolis. Trina W. General Manager
Brownstown, Pennsylvania, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2014

The nicest person at this hotel was the valet. I made the reservation many months in advance for a convention I was attending. I had stayed here about five years ago and was very happy with my stay. After staying at other hotels the past four years and not being happy with the rooms, service, etc., I decided to come back. Boy am I sorry I did!

Upon check I confirmed that I was in a handicap-accessible room. I was told yes, even though it was located on the second floor. This always makes me leery since elevators are disabled in emergencies and stairs are not possible. She handed me multiple pieces of paper and requested my initials and signature in different locations.

One of the forms was a release acknowledging that the hotel is part of a working train station so trains would be going past at any hour. Having stayed here before I was fine with this. The last time I stayed here I was on the first floor near the front of the hotel. This time I was on the second floor (the same level as the tracks) in the room farthest from the front desk and closest to the tracks. The trains literally shook the whole room! I thought the room was going to collapse around me.

When I got to the room I had a question, so I called to the front desk. I was on hold for four minutes! Once I got my question answered I began to unpack. The first thing I discovered is that the room does not have a refrigerator, which in other hotels is standard. I need to have medication refrigerated so I had to deal with that. Instead of calling and sitting on hold again (which I ended up having to do to get the internet connected. This time the hold time was over five minutes.), I decided it would be easiest to go to the front desk.

Once I got to the front desk, there was no one to be found. I had to wait there until one of the valets spotted me waiting and go the manager from the office (located right behind the counter). I explained that I needed a refrigerator in my room. The manager cheerfully said that she would gladly get one brought to the room, but there is a $20 per night charge. I was shocked. I cannot remember the last time I stayed at a hotel where I didn't have a refrigerator provided at no extra charge (even Motel 6 gives me one for free and doesn't charge me $200 a night!).

I should have taken this all as a sign that I should not stay here because it just got worse. The toilet doesn't flush properly and taking a bath was impossible since the drain plug was removed. The bed is also extremely uncomfortable and the light switch just inside the door doesn't actually operate any lights (it turns off the outlet the TV is plugged into)! It was not easy going into the room for the first time without any lights to see where I was going (no assistance was offered in taking my luggage to my room).

The first night I barely slept, which meant at least I was up early when the cleaning staff knocked on my door (waking others in the room though). I learned to keep the Do Not Disturb sign on my door. Not that the cleaning staff had any respect for guests. They would block the hall chatting (in another language) while I would have to wait for them to let me pass. They also didn't bother being quiet, regardless of how many Do No Disturb signs were on doors. They would yell back and forth to each other from either end of the hall (so much for taking a nap since I am so exhausted from not sleeping).

The hotel looks clean in the lobby, but that is where it ends. There was trash in the halls and staff walking right past it without picking it up. Trash included used disposable gloves like those I saw the cleaning staff use!

The hotel is adjacent to the convention center and attached with a skywalk, but I will never stay here again. When I spoke to the Night Manager to explain that I was checking out a day early and why, his response was that he would make a note of it. He did not offer to try to make anything better or even offer an apology! They charged me $200 a night plus $30 a night for parking and I felt like I was an unwelcome burden on the staff!

Room Tip: Avoid rooms on floors other than the first floor.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
We appreciate you taking the time to write a review of our hotel. As a guest, your satisfaction is important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding experience at our hotel.

Please accept our sincere apology for the shortcomings you experienced and we regret the issues you encountered with the room you received. Rest assured that your feedback will be taken into consideration in our efforts to continually monitor and improve the quality and services we offer.

Though we would prefer you had a better experience at our hotel, we would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts and hope that you will consider us again on your next visit. Trina W General Manager
Arlington, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

In previous years, I stayed at the Hilton, and wondered what was up with this Crowne Plaza at the train station. I decided to book here this year. (Besides, Hilton is becoming very unfriendly with their use of HHonors points). This was a fantastic stay!

I was surprised to see that in addition to a normal concierge, and valet parking, there was indeed a normal check-in desk. It sure doesn't look like it from the outside. Let's be real, here: This is a downright ugly looking building from the outside, but don't judge a book... Inside, this place is all Crowne. The rooms are "normal," just like any other Crowne - except... Except for the rooms that are INSIDE THE TRAIN! Yes there is a train car inside the hotel, with rooms in it. I didn't get one of those, but what a cool concept.

The train station decor of this place leads to a some unique views. For example the main lobby, I would say, is the area behind the main desk instead of in front of it, as in most hotels. But even that is cool, just different. I didn't utilize the bar or restaurant, but they were there. Ditto for the fitness room.

The main plus for this hotel is it's location - right next to Lucas Oil Stadium - walkable, no car required. (It cost me $10 for a shuttle van from the airport, and I was good for all three days.) There are PLENTY (meaning NUMEROUS and UNLIMITED) great bars and restaurants within walking distance. That would probably suffice in the winter, too. I am told that Indy normally isn't as busy as it was the weekend I was there, but this Crowne was certainly a fun place at a fun time.

Highly recommended!

Room Tip: Couples, ask about the rooms in the train.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Trina W, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station), responded to this review, August 18, 2014
Thank you for choosing the Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown Union Station as your place to stay in Indianapolis! Trina W. General Manager
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

Pros: Nice location in downtown Indy, historic appeal, unique setting.
Cons: Pay to park, some areas could use some sprucing up, only one elevator, they other was closed for repair. This is a unique and historic place, set in the old union station. Hotel has actual train cars on original tracks that you can stay in. Walking distance from St. Elmo's and Circle Center Mall.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Trina W, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station), responded to this review, August 15, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. Your review is vital for improving the service and quality we offer to our valued guest. We apologize for the elevator issue you experienced. We hope to get the opportunity of welcoming you back in the future. Thank you once again for your valuable comments. Trina W General Manager
Saint Paul, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

I was in the executive wing - because of participation in loyalty program - and could hear train vibrations all night. No whistles; just track vibrations. HVAC kicked on and off all night and combination of the two kept waking me up. On the up side , The room was spotless, nice linens, bath gels and lotions. A very well kept property.

• Stayed August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. As an IHG Rewards Club member, your satisfaction is important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding experience at our hotel. We do apologize for the shortcomings you experienced. Rest assured your feedback will be taken into consideration to continue to improve the service we provide. We hope you stay with us again the next time you are in Indianapolis. Trina W. General Manager

Been to Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station)? Share your experiences!