“Unique hotel close to everything” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station)

You added Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station) to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station)
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   123 W Louisiana St, Indianapolis, IN 46225   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #61 of 183 Hotels in Indianapolis
Satin John, IN
“Unique hotel close to everything”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

We stayed at Crown Plaza for a business trip. Although there was construction going on, the hotel staff was friendly and the hotel was clean. Nice rooms with modern decor. Close to everything! Walking distance to the mall and restaurants. Great trip to Indy, we wished we had more time. That being said, my husband and I decided to take our kids for a weekend over the winter and stay in one of the unique train car rooms.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Mike C, Manager at Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station), responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Thank you for the 5 star review! I am happy that you enjoy our new decor and the unique character of our property.

Rooms Division Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
Carbon, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

My wife and I decided to spend a night in Indianapolis for our anniversary, so pricelined a 3 1/2 star hotel for $60.00 and ended up with the Crowne Plaza. I had been here before for some business meeting but never stayed. The rooms are nice and appear to have been recently upgraded. The location is great down the street from Circle Center mall and one of our favorite restaurants in Indianapolis "Harry & Izzy's". The biggest issue that we had was the walls seem pretty thin between the rooms, our neighbor received a phone call at 6:30 am and we could clearly hear the marimba ringer going off almost like it was in our room. We also noticed earlier in the day when we were both watching TV we could clearly hear their TV. The train noise can be a problem but we really didn't notice it too much until Sunday morning when the window started to shake a little.

Room Tip: Stay as far away from the train tracks as possible unless you like train noise.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I apologize that you were able to hear noise from the guest room next to you. If you are willing, I would love to get the specific room number so that I can investigate this issue. Pleaae feel free to respond directly to indycrowne@genhotels.com with that information.

Rooms Divsion Manager
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

I stayed here because of the convenient location next to the convention center while attending a trade show for 5 nights. I would recommend requesting a top floor as the first room I was in was on the floor below and it was very loud from the rude people above me. I moved to the top floor the next day and no more problems.
The room was very nice. Evidently recently remodeled. The hotel lobby is also under construction. It was not a hindrance in any way. There are plenty of restaurants and bars within walking distance.
The staff was friendly and attentive for the most part and the food was unusually good for a hotel. The breakfast buffet was excellent and offered many choices. Room service was top notch and sandwiches in the bar were very good as well.
The internet was slow and somewhat frustrating. I find this to be true of most IHG properties I have stayed in.
All in all, I was pleased with the hotel, the food and a very convenient location.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Mike C, Manager at Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station), responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience. I am happy to hear that you had a great experience. I am sorry that the internet speed was not up to par. Your feedback on the internet speed helps us address an issue that impacts our guests like you.

Louisville, Kentucky
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Stayed here for a with my husband for a football game, I was in shock this place is old, scary looking, dusty and having renovations done on one side of the hotel. The actual room was okay decent enough to sleep in and shower. The restaurant/bar was closed for breakfast and this place was dirty and dusty, weird creepy statues and there is a actual train station that runs along side of it. No place to eat, drink, no coffee in the morning that is unacceptable for a Crowne hotel. This place is in need of a desperate makeover I don't think renovation would even help it would never stay here again.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your experience. I am sorry that our hotel did not meet your needs. We are located in a historic building that will always keep its character from the past. We are in a full renovation that is addressing many issues that need to be resolved to give us a more modern look. I am sorry that you could not find the coffee in the morning. Our restaurant opens for breakfast at 6am daily and also provides carry out coffee. The restaurant closes when the lounge opens daily at 10am. Lunch and dinner is served in the lounge.

Bristol, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

I stayed here while attending a conference. I was in Indianapolis for 4 nights and I stayed here on the 2 out of the 4 nights. I thought the hotel was nice, clean and the staff were helpful. However, the layout of the hotel has disadvantages, the wifi (although free) was unusably slow and the overall standard of the hotel was noticeably lower than the hotel I stayed in the 2 previous nights (for a similar price).

The Room: spacious and comfortable - no real fault with the room itself. My room was on the same evel as reception and was directly on a central communal area. The only window in the room looked out onto this central communal area. Residents observed the signs to be quiet in this area. However, some of the area had stone tiles and some of the area was carpeted. As a result, wheelie bags and the housekeeping trolley made a significant noise on the tiles but not on the carpet. I suggest carpeting the whole area adjacent to rooms. Travellers may want to check their room is far from the tiled area.

The train car rooms looked fun, but most of these were being renovated when I stayed.

The Staff: very friendly and helpful.

The Layout: the layout is quirky and fun. I mention above the problem with each room being directly on the central communal area. The walkway to the conference centre also went directly past many rooms.

The Location: good location close to downtown. Close to the train station, if coming by train. I did not get disturbed by trains (as others have mentioned).

Other Facilities: The gym was closed whe I stayed due to the refurbishments. It looked to be a small gym too.

Overall, a good hotel with a few minor faults. The major problem was that it was too expensive for what it was, and the other hotel I used in Indy was better for the same price.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your comments. I am happy to hear you had a good experience despite the unusual layout of our property. Our hotel is very unique as compared to all of the other hotels in downtown Indianapolis. Our property is a Historical Landmark that was converted from a train shed to a hotel in the mid 1980's. Because of its previous use, we do have a unique layout compared to most hotels as the majority of our guest rooms face an open atrium. Originally there were 12 active train lines that ran through this building during the early 1900's through both World Wars. There is a significant amount of history that you will find in our hotel that can't be found in many of the other hotels in the city.

Indianapolis, Indiana, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013 via mobile

Had a GREAT time! We stayed in Boxcar # 2 and it truly was fantastic! The guest services staff ( Precious and Robert ) were Wonderful! They made my Birthday an experience both special and memorable! There was a bit of construction going on but even they were friendly and respectful! Can't wait to go again!

• Stayed October 2013
Thank you for your positive comments and recognizing two outstanding employees that made your birthday special. I am happy to hear that the ongoing renovation did not take away from your experience.

Shelbyville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

Unique historic property in the very center of town! Easy access but expensive valet parking $30. Very clean throughout, currently under well managed renovation. One of the best indoor pools we have seen in years. Art statues throughout first floor. The 13 renovated Pullman sleeping cars are impressive sitting on the second floor opposite regular rooms, great atmosphere.

Rooms have been renovated nicely, the beds are comfortable but bedding stiff and awkward. Forget the rollaway! Ancient with springs coming through, unstable and cost extra $20 plus rollaway tax! Interior windows can be noisy. Expect real train noises at night, freight trains pass through the hotel!

The really unique setting provides an opportunity to overlook shortcomings See separate dining review,.

Room Tip: The blue pullman cars on second floor are next to the active train line, Interiors of the pullman...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing your experience. I am happy to hear that you had an overall great experience. I want to apologize for the discomfort of the rollaway bed. I appreciate you commenting on the rollaway as we are looking at all of our rollaway beds to check the wear and comfort level. It is feedback like this that helps us make improvements where neccessary.

Rooms Division Manager

Been to Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station)? Share your experiences!