“Hotel expects guests to just endure massive rennovation” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station)

You added Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station) to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station)
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   123 W Louisiana St, Indianapolis, IN 46225   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #63 of 183 Hotels in Indianapolis
Wilmette, Illinois, United States
“Hotel expects guests to just endure massive rennovation”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

I just got back from staying at the Crowne Plaza Indianapolis for a meeting. My room was okay but noisy. All the common areas were in bad shape. Construction everywhere. Temporary carpet on floors which was easy to trip on. Smelled of paint and dry wall, dust from construction. Air conditioning not fully functional in common areas. Always noisy. Pool not available. Hotel's response to guests is just to post "apology" notices around the hotel. Room rates not discounted nor any special coupons given to guests to make up for inconveniences. Instead, when I checked-in I was just told a list of things to expect such as train noise, construction noise, etc. Basically, hotel expects guests to pay full price and then just be good sports about all of the construction.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Mike C, Manager at Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station), responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. I am very sorry that you had such a poor experience due to the renovation. It is not an easy process renovating a hotel while still in operation. We are addressing all issues, such as carpeting, air conditioning, etc, that you referred to during the renovation. It is not our goal to have our guests just endure the renovation. It is our goal to cause the least inconveinence possible during the renovation and accomodate our guests needs. I would like an opportunity to discuss further if you would be willing. Please send an email to indycrowne@genhotels.com to my attention. I look forward to hearing from you.

Rooms Division Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
Ann Arbor, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

Crowne Plaza Hotel - 123 W. Louisiana Street -Indianapolis, Indiana August 31- September 2, 2013
I just had my worst hotel experience ever and I have been renting hotel rooms for 40 years including many in third world countries so, that is a very hard to achieve rating a WORST EVER rating. 1) no air conditioning in hotel room for both nights just for starters 2) untrained staff trying to make a bad situation better actually, made it worse 3) loud construction beginning at 8:00 am Sunday morning. 4) direction to rooms mismarked
I could go on and on and on but I think you get the point and I would rather sleep in my car (would of at least been able to get some sleep) than to ever stay in a Crowne Plaza Hotel again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Mike C, Manager at Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station), responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Thank you for sharing your feedback. I am extremly sorry that you had such a poor experience at our hotel. The comments that you have made are critical issues that I would like to have to opportunity to investigate further if you are willing. Please send any additional feedback to indycrowne@genhotels.com.

Clinton, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

First thing they tell you when you check in: the hotel is under construction, plus its next to an active railroad, so it will be noisy. *sigh* "When do the trains come through?" I asked. They are freight trains so not on any particular schedule. *sigh*

I stayed here 4 nights for a recent business trip. The arrangements were made through corporate travel, so I had no idea about the construction or the trains.

On the plus side, the staff was so so helpful, and they did a good job keeping the place clean during construction. You'd never know there was anything going on until you went further into the hotel. The rooms are clean and reasonably spacious. I was not really inconvenienced by the construction, as it was done during the day while I was working. Note that the pool is currently closed though. The place is cute, with old Pullman train cars, evidently available as rooms.

On the negative side: noise and vibration from the railroad. When I first checked in, I was given a room on the backside of the hotel, close to the tracks. I stepped into my room just as the train was passing, it was incredibly noisy and the room was shaking. I went back to the desk and asked for a room at the front of the hotel, they switched me and it was much quieter (although I still had to push a chair against the window to stop it from vibrating when the train went by). If there had not been another room available I would have changed hotels.

So really just be forewarned, if you are a light sleeper, this place may not be for you.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I am happy to hear the positive comments in regards to our staff. I am sorry that the active train station impacted your stay in a negative way. We are a historic building and our staff make an effort to make sure all of our guests are aware upon arrival to this fact.

South Bend, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

My niece and I stayed at Crowne Plaza Union Station for one night and had a great time. Unfortunately this hotel was in the middle of a huge renovation and was quite dusty and noisy during our stay. Just the lobby area. Our room was perfectly clean and newly renovated and overlooked the pool. Fortunately, we got an awesome Hotwire deal, so the inconvenience of the torn apart lobby was of little concern to us.
The hotel is huge- so big it can get eerie at night, especially if your room is a distance from the central elevator area. Or if your niece decides she wants a self tour of the grand ballroom at 1 a.m!
Train enthusiasts would love this hotel as there are 2 full size trains on either side of of the hotel- INSIDE - and several of these cars are remodeled into actual hotel rooms. Families and groups would also love this hotel.The pool was awesome and nicely heated. It's walking distance to everything downtown and in a very safe nice area- right across from Lucas Oil stadium.
The staff are really what makes this such an enjoyable place to stay. Everyone we encountered went out of their way to be friendly and helpful! Especially one if the guest service reps( maybe Peter?) He went out of his way to locate an IPhone charger for me to use, so I wouldn't have to walk way out to my car to retrieve mine! Above and beyond!!
Since the hotel is being remodeled anyway, I would recommend removing most of the white statues representing the Union Station of days gone by... A few in the lobby would be fine, but suspended from beams, and some strangely perched on top of the train cars- that was creepy.
I would recommend this hotel and will stay there again, just may wait until the remodel is done!

• Stayed August 2013
Thank you for your feedback. I am glad that you had a positive experience. We will be excited once the renovation is concluded and our new product will be enjoyed by all of our guests. In regards to the ghost statues, we have repaired several that have been damaged over the years and will be putting them throughout our hotel once the renovation is complete. The statue on top of the traincar goes with another statue that has recently been repaired. Once in place it will make more sense what is actually occurring. The history of this hotel is unique and very important to the staff of the hotel and the city of Indianapolis.

Rooms Division Manager.
Stewartsville, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

This Hotel while somewhat normal has special railroad pullman cars set up as bedrooms with heavy reference to various celebrities. the hotel also have white statues of people of a bygone era doing different things and striking unusual poses.

Room Tip: Check the hotels notes to choose the right for you pullman car
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for the high rating that you gave our hotel. The statues, Pullman train car guest rooms, and our history are what make our hotel unique to other hotels in the area. The staff of our hotel take pride in our history and enjoy sharing fun facts with our guests.

Batesville, IN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

We did the family fun pack and did the zoo on a Wednesday, stayed the night and did the Children's Museum on Thursday. The room had been recently updated and was really nice. Kids were able to swim and hotel restaurant was very convenient to have with 3 small children. Short walk to the mall. Great value, 2 adult and 2 children tix to each the zoo and museum, plus one night stay saved us over $50 dollars during the peak season. Highly recommend for a last minute quick trip :)

• Stayed July 2013
Mike C, Manager at Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station), responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. I am happy to hear that your family had a great experience at our hotel. Our Family Fun Adventure package is a great value to families traveling to Indianapolis to visit the Children's Museum and Indianapolis Zoo. I am glad that we were able to create a good experience during your visit.

Vienna, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Crowne Plaza Indianapolis for one night in August 2013. We thought the hotel was fine and we would probably stay at the hotel again after the construction is done. The pros and cons of our stay were:

Pros:
• The front desk staff, both at check-in and checkout were friendly and helpful. In fact, during checkout when my girlfriend told the woman behind the desk that she liked the spa products left in the room, she went and grabbed her a couple extra. Super nice of her to do that.
• The bellman that helped us on check-in was great. He got us ice, which we found out was about as far away as you could get and still be on the same floor and arranged for housekeeping to bring us up amenities that were missing from our room when we got there.
• The valet parking attendants were quick and professional.
• The king bed was comfortable and we slept well.
• The room was spacious and comfortable.
• As the hotel is the old train station, they have old train cars that have been converted to rooms. We didn’t stay in one, but I saw into one and they look very nice.
• The location of the hotel was fantastic. As others have mentioned, it has a covered walkway to Lucas Oil Stadium and the Convention Center. It is also within walking distance to anything in the downtown area – we saw a concert at the Banker’s Life Fieldhouse, where the Pacers play, the night we were there.
• We were given two free drinks at the bar, which helped after a long drive!

Cons:
• As I mentioned, there was a lot of construction going on in the hotel, which is good, I suppose, in that they are updating the property. It did, however, make the property seem a bit unwelcoming. I do, obviously, think when the work is done it will be much better.
• So, while the room was comfortable, the layout of the hotel itself, again being an old train station, is a bit unusual. Specifically, all the rooms, as far as I can tell, seem to look into the interior of the building. Even the train car rooms only have windows that look out onto the interior of the building. We didn’t mind, but if you want to see outside during your stay it doesn’t seem this is an option.
• We had stayed at a Holiday Inn the night before and had gotten a fridge brought up to our room at no charge. At the Crowne Plaza, a more expensive hotel, we were told that a fridge would be an extra $20/night. Luckily, as mentioned above, the bellman was great about bringing ice.

All in all, we enjoyed our stay at the Crowne Plaza Indianapolis and would probably stay there again once the renovations are done. Because of the construction, however, I can only really give the hotel 3 stars at this point. And while I don’t really see this ever being a 5 star hotel, in my humble opinion, of course, I do think it will be a solid 4 once everything is done.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to provide specific feedback from your stay. I am happy that we provided a great experience for you despite the construction at our hotel. We are looking forward to the end of the renovation process and having an updated hotel to share with all of our guests. Guest feedback has been very important to this process as we are addressing items that guests have been communicating need improvement.

Been to Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station)? Share your experiences!