“Under Refurb, but still a nice hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station)

You added Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station) to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station)
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   123 W Louisiana St, Indianapolis, IN 46225   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #62 of 183 Hotels in Indianapolis
Elberfeld, Indiana
“Under Refurb, but still a nice hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

We recently stayed at the Crowne Plaza Union Station in Downtown Indianapolis. We met family and stayed on a Saturday night. I'd read some reviews that the hotel was run down or shabby and that it was in the midst of a construction project and refurbishment. While we did find that they were in the middle of a refurbishment, the accessible areas of the hotel were clean and the staff was friendly and helpful.

Several people have mentioned in their reviews that the rumble of trains coming through was a problem, we didn't really see it as such. That said, if you are awakened easily, etc, ask for a room away from the train station side. The people in our group who stayed on the other side of the hotel didn't notice the trains at all.

We stayed in the Winston Churchill train car with our kids. We found it clean and neat. The photos make the room look smaller than it really is. The bathroom is tight, but everything was clean and well kept, despite the fact that this side of the hotel is yet to be remodeled. The beds were custom made for the train cars. At over 6' tall, I was able to sleep on the bed without my feet hanging off, but the beds are narrow. Having a fridge in the room was a plus, though we didn't use it.

The swimming pool was clean and not crowded. I liked that it was in a gated area in the atrium and not in a steamy, noisy, closed room like many seem to be going to. The whirlpool has been removed, but no problem. Plenty of chairs and towels around the pool.

I brought a couple of minor details to the manager's attention after we left and he responded very quickly.

The front desk staff recommended a good pizza joint for us and showed us a good common area to eat in.

We slept late, so we ate at Pullman's restaurant, just inside the hotel entrance. A $16/person breakfast buffet seemed steep, but we were pleasantly surprised to learn that children 5 and under eat free and older kids ate for half price. Selection was decent.

We will absolutely consider staying here again when in downtown Indy. The kids loved the train car and pool, but the overall experience was great.

Room Tip: If noise bothers you, ask to stay away from the train station side. If you want to feel them rumble...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Mike C, Manager at Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station), responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I am glad that you and your family enjoyed the uniqueness of our hotel and were able to experience staying in an authentic Pullman's train car guest room.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
Fort Collins, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

This historic hotel located in downtown Indianapolis was originally a train station. All the (bogies) coaches are divided into 2 suites each that were frequented by prominent people such as Amelia Earhart (the lady aviator) who almost made a trans global solo flight and died attempting it. Others were Ringling Brothers of Circus fame, etc. Each room has a distinct décor consonant with the famous person who frequented it. These suites are only $30 more than the regular rooms. This is more than made up for by the refrigerator located in the suite that can help you save on food expenses. Trains still run on one side of the hotel and some guests like the vibration and muffled "white" noise. Perhaps it helps them sleep??!!

Room Tip: Parking in downtown Indianapolis is atrociously expensive! But right next to the hotel is a garage t...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Mike C, Manager at Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station), responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience. We appreciate the history of our building and take pride in the stories that people share. The train cars are all themed from famous people from the 1920's era. At that point in time, our building was not a hotel but was a full operating train station. We have had some famous people, such as Abraham Lincoln and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle travel through the station when it was vibrant with activity. We do still have an active operating Amtrak station on the South side of our building that does cause the building to vibrate and shake on a daily and nightly basis. We want to be up front about this so that our guests know what to expect when they stay at our hotel.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

I stay at this hotel each time I come into town for the FDIC conference. The rooms are always clean and have always been ready on check-in. Even though there were renovations going on at the hotel it did not interfer with my stays. The hotel is in easy walking distance to all attractions.My only complaint is that the bathrooms are small.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your loaylty and feedback. I appreciate your comments regarding your stay. You mentioned the size of our bathrooms are small. We won't be able to change the square footage during our renovation, but we are moving a few items in the bathroom that will allow more space to move around.
Canton, Georgia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

Although my stay was short, the service was excellent. There is no more convenient hotel in downtown Indianapolis. The rooms were clean and nice. The staff was exceedingly helpful. The bar, unfortunately, was not as nice as i would have liked, so we went elsewhere. All in all, I look forward to visiting again soon.

• Stayed April 2013
Mike C, Manager at Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station), responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. I am glad to hear the service you received was exceedingly helpful. Our renovation will be addressing the current look and feel of our lounge. I am sorry that you didn't have a positive impression of our lounge.
Indianapolis
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

I stayed there for a great Hotwire rate ( love, love my Hotwire! ) and I had done my research on betterbidding.com and knew that this was one of the Hotels that I might get. This was the only option that made me nervous as previous reviews here noted that it could be noisy. But I took a chance and yup! this is what Hotwire booked me into. Oh well, it was for only one night and since I am local it was not like I had hours to drive the next day.

This property is in a great location. Close to the Lucas Oil Stadium, close to Circle Center Mall, close to bars and restaurants. The self parking is easy to get in and out of , better than most garages downtown.

The employees are great! Very friendly and I was happy that they gave me my room at 11 instead of the posted check in at 3, I did not request it but they offered. This let us throw the luggage in the room, park the car, and start our day. ( I originally went to the hotel desk to inquire about the self park and they gave me my room right then and there! ).

The room was one of those that have not been renovated but it was acceptable if a little tired looking. One thing I did not care for was the double beds. We were 2 to a bed so Queen would have been nicer. The bathroom is in dire need of help, it was clean but old...old tile, old fixtures, and the toliet seemed to like to clog. I could have used a plunger in the bathroom to fix matters...

Our rooms were on the north side of the property, overlooking the rail car rooms and we did not have any noise at all....nothing...which was a huge plus. I think the rooms on the south end are closer to the train station so it may be best to avoid that area.

The hotel was clean, our room was clean, and the current renovations did not disturb our stay. We just need a place to lay our heads after celebrating my daughter's 21st..and the hotel fit the bill nicely.

I will add that if I had paid rack rate I would have probably been peeved due to the quality of the room but since I did not I am happy with the value. I could not have stayed in a Motel 6 for what I got from Hotwire for this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing straight North, towards Circle Center Mall...we had no noise issues with train...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback. Many of your comments are items that are being addressed as part of our renovation. Because of customer feedback like yours, were are replacing some of our double bedded rooms with double queen sized rooms. Also we are revitalizing our bathrooms with a more modern look and feel. Thank you for the positive comments regarding how you were treated by our staff. We understand that service is as important, if not more, than the product that we have to offer.
Bloomington, Indiana, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

This was our second weekend stay at this hotel in the last year. We loved it. The hotel is currently under renovation and we're looking forward to seeing the rooms once they're updated. I love the feel of the hotel with statues throughout the hotel, and the steel girders overhead. We love walking past the train cars holding some of the hotel rooms. We learned during this stay that there's an ice rink were the local minor league hockey team plays just across the street. We look forward to many more stays at this hotel, especially after the rooms are renovated. I do hope that one day they'll put a hot tub back in!

Room Tip: We had a corner room near the pool on the ground level. It sounded like the group of kids in the po...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your honest and positve comments regarding your experience at our hotel. We are very excited about the current renovation that is underway. We are also repairing many of the statues that have been removed the last few years that had been vandalized. We look forward to your return visit the the transformed Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown!
New Port Richey, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

I stayed here for business from April 15-19 of 2013. Unfortunately, I did not have the option of choosing my own hotel because this is not the hotel that I would ever choose to stay in.

The hotel itself is a neat concept...hotel inside an old train station with train cars as some of the rooms. Generally the hotel was clean, however, I did not venture to anywhere other then my room, the bar, and the gym.

BE WARNED that there is considerable construction going on! Also, only one elevator works.

Rooms: Very outdated and lacking. I had 2 double beds which were uncomfortable and the linens scratchy. The bathrooms were also outdated and disgusting (in my opinion). Water stains everywhere in the bathroom and throughout the room. You can also hear people pretty vividly through the walls.

Gym: nothing to write home about. Only aerobic machines and weight machines, no free weights.

Restaurant: the breakfast buffet was ok, again, nothing to write home about. To be honest, I would probably skip it all together and eat somewhere else.

Staff: They were all very helpful and nice. I don't have a single complain about the staff.

Overall: This place was terrible. For the same rate, I could have stayed in the Westin or Sheraton...but, like I said, I did not have that option.

Save your money and go somewhere else.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Mike C, Manager at Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station), responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Thank you for your feedback and your positive comments about our staff. Our hotel is currently under renovation to update the look and feel of our hotel. The condition of your guest room is the reason our hotel is under renovation to bring us up to today's standards. I apologize that this visit did not meet your expectations.

Been to Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station)? Share your experiences!