“Very convenient” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station)

Save Saved
You added Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station) to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station)
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   123 W Louisiana St, Indianapolis, IN 46225   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #66 of 183 Hotels in Indianapolis
Canton, Georgia, United States
“Very convenient”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

Although my stay was short, the service was excellent. There is no more convenient hotel in downtown Indianapolis. The rooms were clean and nice. The staff was exceedingly helpful. The bar, unfortunately, was not as nice as i would have liked, so we went elsewhere. All in all, I look forward to visiting again soon.

• Stayed April 2013
Mike C, Manager at Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station), responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. I am glad to hear the service you received was exceedingly helpful. Our renovation will be addressing the current look and feel of our lounge. I am sorry that you didn't have a positive impression of our lounge.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Indianapolis
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

I stayed there for a great Hotwire rate ( love, love my Hotwire! ) and I had done my research on betterbidding.com and knew that this was one of the Hotels that I might get. This was the only option that made me nervous as previous reviews here noted that it could be noisy. But I took a chance and yup! this is what Hotwire booked me into. Oh well, it was for only one night and since I am local it was not like I had hours to drive the next day.

This property is in a great location. Close to the Lucas Oil Stadium, close to Circle Center Mall, close to bars and restaurants. The self parking is easy to get in and out of , better than most garages downtown.

The employees are great! Very friendly and I was happy that they gave me my room at 11 instead of the posted check in at 3, I did not request it but they offered. This let us throw the luggage in the room, park the car, and start our day. ( I originally went to the hotel desk to inquire about the self park and they gave me my room right then and there! ).

The room was one of those that have not been renovated but it was acceptable if a little tired looking. One thing I did not care for was the double beds. We were 2 to a bed so Queen would have been nicer. The bathroom is in dire need of help, it was clean but old...old tile, old fixtures, and the toliet seemed to like to clog. I could have used a plunger in the bathroom to fix matters...

Our rooms were on the north side of the property, overlooking the rail car rooms and we did not have any noise at all....nothing...which was a huge plus. I think the rooms on the south end are closer to the train station so it may be best to avoid that area.

The hotel was clean, our room was clean, and the current renovations did not disturb our stay. We just need a place to lay our heads after celebrating my daughter's 21st..and the hotel fit the bill nicely.

I will add that if I had paid rack rate I would have probably been peeved due to the quality of the room but since I did not I am happy with the value. I could not have stayed in a Motel 6 for what I got from Hotwire for this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing straight North, towards Circle Center Mall...we had no noise issues with train...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback. Many of your comments are items that are being addressed as part of our renovation. Because of customer feedback like yours, were are replacing some of our double bedded rooms with double queen sized rooms. Also we are revitalizing our bathrooms with a more modern look and feel. Thank you for the positive comments regarding how you were treated by our staff. We understand that service is as important, if not more, than the product that we have to offer.
Bloomington, Indiana, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

This was our second weekend stay at this hotel in the last year. We loved it. The hotel is currently under renovation and we're looking forward to seeing the rooms once they're updated. I love the feel of the hotel with statues throughout the hotel, and the steel girders overhead. We love walking past the train cars holding some of the hotel rooms. We learned during this stay that there's an ice rink were the local minor league hockey team plays just across the street. We look forward to many more stays at this hotel, especially after the rooms are renovated. I do hope that one day they'll put a hot tub back in!

Room Tip: We had a corner room near the pool on the ground level. It sounded like the group of kids in the po...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your honest and positve comments regarding your experience at our hotel. We are very excited about the current renovation that is underway. We are also repairing many of the statues that have been removed the last few years that had been vandalized. We look forward to your return visit the the transformed Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown!
New Port Richey, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

I stayed here for business from April 15-19 of 2013. Unfortunately, I did not have the option of choosing my own hotel because this is not the hotel that I would ever choose to stay in.

The hotel itself is a neat concept...hotel inside an old train station with train cars as some of the rooms. Generally the hotel was clean, however, I did not venture to anywhere other then my room, the bar, and the gym.

BE WARNED that there is considerable construction going on! Also, only one elevator works.

Rooms: Very outdated and lacking. I had 2 double beds which were uncomfortable and the linens scratchy. The bathrooms were also outdated and disgusting (in my opinion). Water stains everywhere in the bathroom and throughout the room. You can also hear people pretty vividly through the walls.

Gym: nothing to write home about. Only aerobic machines and weight machines, no free weights.

Restaurant: the breakfast buffet was ok, again, nothing to write home about. To be honest, I would probably skip it all together and eat somewhere else.

Staff: They were all very helpful and nice. I don't have a single complain about the staff.

Overall: This place was terrible. For the same rate, I could have stayed in the Westin or Sheraton...but, like I said, I did not have that option.

Save your money and go somewhere else.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Mike C, Manager at Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station), responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Thank you for your feedback and your positive comments about our staff. Our hotel is currently under renovation to update the look and feel of our hotel. The condition of your guest room is the reason our hotel is under renovation to bring us up to today's standards. I apologize that this visit did not meet your expectations.
Northern MI
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

While the hotel looks nice and the whole train atmosphere is interesting, I was not pleased with the hotel. Our room was noisy and when it was mentioned to desk staff, i was told it was the train. It was not ... as it happened many, many times - it was more like a faulty air conditioner or something.
The hallways and lobby were warm and muggy (and it was only 70-80 out side in April). There was construction going on in the hotel but that didn't bother me at all as I was not in the hotel during the construction hours. They had a memo about what things would not be accessible - which explained where the working ice machines and vending areas were. Unfortunetly, the ice machine that was supposed to be working on our floor didnt' work either.
One of the elevators also stopped working during our stay.
I will not every stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Mike C, Manager at Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station), responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry about the noise that you experienced during your stay that was not related to the trains. Your feedback will help our staff ask the correct questions as regards to noise so as not to assume that the train caused the noise. I appreciate you posting the comment about the ice machine that was not working. This was fixed as soon as it was reported to our staff. I also want to apologize for 1 of the 2 main elevators being out of service. Unfortunately, this is a major breakdown that occurred that cannot be predicted when it will occur. It is currently under a lengthy repair job.
Fort Knox, KY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

Pay the extra few dollars to stay the night in one of the real train cars! The conversion of the cars creates a unique experience for guests. We enjoyed the narrow but well-appointed "room" and it was extremely fun in a child-like way to climb on and off the car whenever we entered or exited the room. Have fun, embrace something different and stay in a train car!

Room Tip: Disabled guests should avoid train car rooms, very narrow and you must climb onto and off of the car...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing your experience. The pullman traincars are the standout experience that you can only get when you stay at our hotel. There are no other Unique hotels in the city that compare to staying at the active Historic Union Station.
Watertown, New York, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

A fellow LT and I stopped in Indianapolis for the evening on the way from Ft Leonard Wood, MO to Ft Drum, NY not knowing exactly to expect with the hotel & train station all in one. I am a platinum elite priority club rewards so when I checked in they upgraded me to a suite and gave me 2 tickets for a free drink at the bar. The suite had an insanely small bathroom for any hotel room let alone a suite but it didn't really bother us. Room was older, but very clean. What we loved about this hotel besides the coolness of a railroad running through it is it's proximity to the bar district and lucoil stadium. It was only a 4-5 block walk to all the bars which were primarily situated in the same area. Kilroy's was awesome even after 11 on a Monday night. I would definitely stay here if I ever make it back to Indy. Can't beat the convenience of the awesome downtown location!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your positive comments. Our hotel is situated in a very convenient location to many of the fun things the City of Indianapolis has to offer our visitors. Not only are we blocks from popular restaurants and venues, we are also just a 10 minute drive to the Children's Musuem and about 5 minutes from the Indianapolis Zoo.

Been to Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station)? Share your experiences!