“Stay in the Train Cars!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station)

You added Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station) to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station)
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   123 W Louisiana St, Indianapolis, IN 46225   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #62 of 184 Hotels in Indianapolis
Fort Knox, KY
“Stay in the Train Cars!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

Pay the extra few dollars to stay the night in one of the real train cars! The conversion of the cars creates a unique experience for guests. We enjoyed the narrow but well-appointed "room" and it was extremely fun in a child-like way to climb on and off the car whenever we entered or exited the room. Have fun, embrace something different and stay in a train car!

Room Tip: Disabled guests should avoid train car rooms, very narrow and you must climb onto and off of the car...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Mike C, Manager at Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station), responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience. The pullman traincars are the standout experience that you can only get when you stay at our hotel. There are no other Unique hotels in the city that compare to staying at the active Historic Union Station.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
Watertown, New York, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

A fellow LT and I stopped in Indianapolis for the evening on the way from Ft Leonard Wood, MO to Ft Drum, NY not knowing exactly to expect with the hotel & train station all in one. I am a platinum elite priority club rewards so when I checked in they upgraded me to a suite and gave me 2 tickets for a free drink at the bar. The suite had an insanely small bathroom for any hotel room let alone a suite but it didn't really bother us. Room was older, but very clean. What we loved about this hotel besides the coolness of a railroad running through it is it's proximity to the bar district and lucoil stadium. It was only a 4-5 block walk to all the bars which were primarily situated in the same area. Kilroy's was awesome even after 11 on a Monday night. I would definitely stay here if I ever make it back to Indy. Can't beat the convenience of the awesome downtown location!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your positive comments. Our hotel is situated in a very convenient location to many of the fun things the City of Indianapolis has to offer our visitors. Not only are we blocks from popular restaurants and venues, we are also just a 10 minute drive to the Children's Musuem and about 5 minutes from the Indianapolis Zoo.
Farmington, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

What a cool place to stay. This is a refurbished train station and is done in a masterful way. They actually have 8 full length train cars with two rooms per train car. The hotel was nice enough to give me key and allowed me on my own to check out a "train" room. They are very cool and unlike anything I have ever seen before. I did not have one of these rooms, rather I had a standard hotel room which was quite average. My biggest complaint with my room is that there was no safe in the room. Other than that it was fine. The hotel is the absolute best possible place you could stay if you're attending a sporting event at the Lucas Oil Center. They have a connecting walkway which drops you right at the foot of the stadium. I was there to see the NCAA bball tourney and it was a fabulous location. I recommend this hotel because of its proximity to the stadium and because of the novel design and use of real train cars - it is very cool. I also had room service two nights and a Sunday Easter buffet - all of which was excellent.

Room Tip: Have fun and pay a few extra bucks to sleep on a train.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. Indianapolis hosts many sporting events every year and we are happy to be in such close proximity of Lucas Oil Stadium. As you stated, we don't have in room safes, however, we do have lock boxes available at the front desk for guests that are interested in securing their valuables while they are enjoying our city.
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I love this hotel. This was the second time I have stayed there and this time was for a conference. They are right in the middle of a renovation which is good because it is a little bit worn. But still a great place to stay in Downtown Indianapolis - close to everything fun to do. It is a very good place for a conference as it has a huge area of rooms and all right off the lobby. Everyone there from the valet to the restaurant to the front desk and housekeeping as well were very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your positive comments. We are very excited about the renovation that is in progress to bring the condition of the hotel where it should be. Our guests will love our unique hotel when this process is complete. Thank you for your loyalty.
Eldon, Missouri, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

My national convention was held here in early April. There is construction going on throughout the hotel inside and out. When we arrived our rooms weren't ready -so we went to eat a late lunch (which was fine). When we returned they said they were ready and when we went to out room there was a pile of trash and laundry outside our door! There service at the onsite restaurant was terrible! I woke up with a horrible pain in my back and thought I would skip the opening at my conference to try to get some sleep -3 different hammers were hammering for hours!!!!! So no extra sleep for me. The furniture was run down and dirty and our bathroom floor was filthy. On the plus side you can walk to the downtown area and see the beautiful downtown area. I would not stay here again!

• Stayed April 2013
Thank you for your feedback. I apologize for the cleanliness of your guest room. As you stated, our hotel is currently under renovation and addressing the issues in regards to the rundown furniture and fixtures in our guest rooms. I am also sorry to hear that the service that you received in the restaurant fell below expectations. Your feedback is vital for our staff to improve in the areas that you mentioned.
Chicago
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

we booked this property as the last night of a special vacation so we' d have a treat on the last night of our trip. we booked an old pullman train car that was fairly expensive. the train car itself was a bit musty but fine. we were disappointed to open our train car blinds and find a pile of trash immediately under our windows. It as piles of old discarded phones, trash cans, ice buckets. really disappointing. Yuck

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I apologize for the view outside your guest room. Our hotel is currently under renovation. The area you mentioned is being utilzed as an overflow storage area for many of the guest room furnishings. It is our goal to keep the renovation as low an impact to our guest experience as possible. Unfortunately, we are unable to hide all parts of the renovation as it is progressing. Your feedback has helped us take another look at that specific area of the hotel to see if there is anything more that we can do.
Saline, Michigan, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

The hotel is within walking distance of everything downtown. The rooms are average, the staff is very courteous and helpful, the public areas are well maintained. There are two trains that run the lenth of the hotel, and the trains contain hotel rooms. I didn't stay in one of these, but it is a cool idea. Parking is expensive, but I suppose this is the norm for a downtown hotel in a big city.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Mike C, Manager at Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station), responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience. Our hotel is currently being renovated to bring our product up to the new standards for Crowne Plaza Hotels. I am happy that our staff was helpful and courteous to you during your stay. We understand that service is just as important as the product that we offer. Soon both will be elevated to exceed our guests expectations.

Been to Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station)? Share your experiences!