“A unique experience” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station)

You added Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station) to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station)
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   123 W Louisiana St, Indianapolis, IN 46225   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #62 of 183 Hotels in Indianapolis
Los Angeles
“A unique experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

The hotel is in the downtown area and sort of centrally located to just about everything. Indianapolis is a great town to explore and there are quite a few things to see beyond it's downtown. If doing some exploring, try to use their simple expansive bus system by getting a day pass. The hotel is quite unique in it's location(an old historic train station) and decor (train station motif, complete with statues). The service was quite exceptional in my situation since my first room was located adjacent to the ice and vending machine room. It was quite noisy and when I asked to see if they had a better location, they were able to upgrade me to a room in the Executive Club area. Access to this area was great for evening hors d'oeuvres and breakfast in the morning.
The room was great with a comfortable queen bed in a huge room. The pillows and sheets were great after a long cold day of sightseeing. The bathroom was a great size and full of wonderful toiletries. Quite enjoyed my stay here and would love to do it again if visiting Indianapolis again.

Room Tip: For a truly unique experience in this hotel, try staying in one of the railroad cars. For those want...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Mike C, Manager at Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station), responded to this review, March 3, 2013
I am glad that you enjoyed a unique experience in our hotel. Thank you for sharing your experience with others.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
Decatur, Indiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013 via mobile

Missing the sleep amenities like the relax cd not very clean and getting run down and lots of things broken. Sucks that they took out the hot tub. The view out window a wall. Anyone can find better. Writing this as sitting in the room today Feb 12 2013.

• Stayed February 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station), responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear sherrycoil,

Thank you for your feedback of our property. We strive to provide the best possible service and experience and it is always great to hear from our guests on how we are doing. I am deeply sorry about the amenities not being at par with your expectations. Your comments will be forwarded to the ownership of the hotel to take into consideration for future upgrades.

Pam G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

We've been there twice - both in winter and summer. It is conveniently located downtown - and on a weekend - easy to find parking. There's valet parking; but you only need it for weekdays.

My wife and I stayed with our 10 year old and 16 year old. We highly recommend the train cars. There are a few restored trains - where you sleep in a train car. The room was a decent size; and the kids loved the atmosphere. Unlike the people complaining about noise and the trains passing by, in the train car, we couldn't hear a thing. The decor in the hotel is set with white mannequin-like figures throughout. Really gives a neat atmosphere. The desk people were helpful. Easy walking distance to anything fun in downtown Indianapolis.

Downsides: skip the restaurant; don't know why you'd go there anyway with such good choices not far away. Don't expect much from the pool. It is there; it is small; the kids used it briefly.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I am happy to hear that your family enjoyed staying in one of our pullman train cars. I am sorry that the restaurant was not to your satisfaction. We are always welcome to feedback to improve the offerings that we have on our menu. There are many restaurant choices in the area, but we would like to cater to the needs of our guests with our own restaurant. Thank you for your time.
Cleveland, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

If you in town for business and or need some quiet time this is not it.

1. Location is one, but maybe the only big plus for this hotel. Since it has a sky walk to convention center during winter it's s convenient.
2. Noise proofing is close to ZERO. On one side you have trains running all night, with shakes equal to small earth quake, and in the hall ways kids, if there is some sport event in town at the convention center.
3. If you do not have way of using your own Hot Spot device, forget about internet. Or... press the button and go to take a shower, then press another and make yourself some coffee. It's slower than dial up.
4. If you get a room on the upper floor, the elevator is the only way to and out, and those elevators running non-stop when hotel is packed, so there is a wait.

5. Worn out looking.
6. Pillows are so small... Probably for people with really small heads or kids. Ha, ha.
7. Service staff all were awesome.

If you will get one of the train cart rooms, be prepared kids and even adults will be trying to open door to look inside as all will be thinking it's an exhibit and not a hotel room.

According to my experience it will not be a hotel of my choice again. I would not recommend it to people I know.

• Stayed January 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station), responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Dear RT4,

Thank you for leaving a comprehensive review, highlighting not only the bad but also the good. I appreciate that you found all our staff to be awesome. Please accept my apologies for falling short of your expectations specially on the points you have mentioned. Rest assured that all your comments will be looked into and actions will be taken accordingly. I assure you that every comment, no matter how small, is taken very seriously. We hope to get a chance of hosting you again and show you how great our hotel is.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Brussels, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

And it was good, but sometimes (at night) a bit noisy because of freight trains passing nearby but I always take my earplugs with me! If you book a room, ask for a room near the street side (less noise). Breakfast is typical American style and after a few days it becomes boring because it's always the same...

Room Tip: Get a room at the front side (street) of the building
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your feedback. We do have an active train station adjacent to our hotel. Earplugs are available at front desk, which many guests have found helpful to muffle the sound of the active trains. The North side of the hotel is farthest from the active trains. If you are a sensitive sleeper, request a room on the North side. If there is a room availabe in that area, our staff is more than happy to accomodate your request.
Decatur, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

Stayed in a VIP Club room which was to include a small continental breakfast in the Club lounge. When we were ready to eat, there were no spoons, coffee was gone and hot items, which were in warmers were rock hard. On our second night we decided to order room service for breakfast the following morning and our tag was still hanging on the door when we woke up. I had to take the tag to the front desk myself in order to get our breakfast before we were to depart. The location was great for walking to other attractions and restaurants and the valet parking was nice too. We were also disappointed to discover that the hot tub, which was still listed on the website, had been filled in with concrete, so no longer available. The room itself was clean, but the bathroom and bathtub/shower was in need of being remodeled. I actually found someone else's towel hanging on the back of the bathroom door when we arrived, so housekeeping missed it.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Mike C, Manager at Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station), responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your stay. I want to apologize for the issues you experienced with our food and beverage during your stay. Unfortunately, the hot tub was removed from our property due to its age and not being able to bring it up to current safety standards and government requirements. Lastly, I am sorry housekeeping missed the towel in the bathroom. The hotel will be undergoing a complete renovation beginning in March which will address the condition of our bathrooms.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013 via mobile

I am currently staying in this hotel for one night on business. I got a great deal on the room and the location is pretty good. There's not really a bad location in downtown Indy. This one certainly isn't the best. After waiting in a slow-moving check-in line I was pleased with the service I received at the front desk. It wasn't until I had already paid and been given my keys that the person mumbled something about this being a working train station so there "might be occasional slight noise and rumble". This was a pretty drastic understatement. I didn't mind it while I was relaxing in my room this evening but falling asleep proved difficult. On top of this, every little noise from neighbors and the old building seems amplified.

The room itself seems clean enough. Nothing fancy but even with the deal I got, not worth the price, especially factoring in the deteriorating bathroom.

Overall, the experience has been a let down. As a former resident of Indianapolis I admire the city and it is sad to see a building with such potential be so poorly maintained. This hotel is well past it's prime.

• Stayed January 2013
Thank you for your honest feedback. I am sorry that your experience fell below your expectations. While the active train station behind our faciltiy adds to the ambiance of the facility, we could do a better job communicating this to our guests upon arrival. We do advertise the hotel on our website as an active train station, but we tend to struggle with 3rd party websites communicating the same information since we don't have total control of the content of those websites. It is a good idea to go to the brand website and look at the specifics of the property prior to booking in case you have any questions about the property.

Been to Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station)? Share your experiences!