“Wonderful for our needs” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station)

Save Saved
You added Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station) to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station)
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   123 W Louisiana St, Indianapolis, IN 46225   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #68 of 183 Hotels in Indianapolis
Quincy, MA
“Wonderful for our needs”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

Traveling with my 11yo son. We went to the children's museum during the day and needed overnight accommodations. We booked via priceline auction and our bid of $60 was accepted. Front desk check-in was quick and friendly. We asked for a room by the pool and received a room right in the middle of the hotel, next to the pool. Perfect for us. Noise was a bit loud -- pool was crowded, but it closed right at 10pm and we were in it ourselves from 8:30-9:30 so it wasn't an issue for us. The spa had quite a bit to be desired, looked very dated. (the main reason that I gave this hotel a ranking of 4 instead 5) We did not hear the trains at all. I liked the uniqueness of the hotel. Wish I would have walked around a bit before we checked in, to see what the train cars were actually like. (they are on the 2nd floor). I would have probably asked to stay in one of those, however with the priceline bid not sure if that was an option or not. Lots of restaurant options within walking distance. Parking is not included and a bit pricey. However we found on street parking and did that. Room was very spacious (except for the bathroom), beds were comfy and room was clean. Free internet in the rooms as well. Also, breakfast is not included at this hotel. I would recommend staying at this hotel.

Room Tip: We were on the first floor right in the middle of the hotel and I liked it.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
Martinsville, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

Love the train cars. Our second stay here, love the nostaligic feel and look of the Crowne Plaza Union Station. From the statues to the train cars, everything is wonderful. It is clean, comfortable, quiet and private. Short walk to Circle Centre for shopping and dining.

Room Tip: Choose a train car, they are slightly more expensive than the traditional room, but well worth the e...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

We stayed here during our recent trip to Indianapolis. The executive level room was large and spacious. Beds were comfortable. Furniture is a bit worn and the arm chair was stained. Tub drain ran slow. Even though others have said they heard noise from the train it was never a factor for us. We did hear it and it did awaken us at night but only for a couple of minutes. Our room was by the pool and we appreciated how the staff would close it down promptly at 10:00 so we could get some sleep. Our only complaint is that the continental breakfast and managers reception included with our Priority Club was poorly stocked. We had to continually call the desk and ask for more items as the staff would only refill one thing at a time rather than restock completely. This was annoying and unpleasant since you would have to wait for staff to return with each item. I felt like I was doing their job for them by noting what needed to be stocked.

Room Tip: Make sure you have plenty of time for breakfast or reception since you will wait a long time for foo...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Santa Fe, New Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

Stayed two nights for a wedding in the family. Atmosphere, nostalgic train station, downtown location - wonderful. Staff and service what one would expect from a good hotel (excellent). I didn't stay in a railroad car room, but the concept was intriguing. However, despite being warned, I was awakened several times by the train noise, and other visiting family members whose rooms were closer to the back of the hotel, got no sleep and asked that their rooms be moved. If you are a light sleeper, be sure to get a front room. The breakfast was less than I expect even at a chain motel and as a diabetic, I would have appreciated a selection that was not all carbs, even a hard cooked egg would have been welcome. It was jarring to learn that none of the downtown hotels maintain an airport shuttle and I had to take a taxi. Airport transportation should be de rigeur at any big city first class hotel, unless there is good public transportation. My relatives who drove in were equally surprised to learn that parking was not included in the price.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station), responded to this review, July 27, 2012
Dear SantaFeNana,

Thank you for posting a review of our property. I appreciate the compliments on the staff and the level of service provided. I am glad that you liked our hotel location. Regarding the noise from neighbor room, please accept our apologies for the inconvenience this may have caused. We try our best to ensure all guests have a great stay and undisturbed sleep overnight. I am sorry that the breakfast selection did not live up to your expectations given your specific dietary needs. It is our goal to consistently ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to provide rates that are competitive in the area.

Lera M
Westland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

We had another great stay! We love trains so this place is perfect. We had a train car room right up against the tracks and got stirred from our sleep a couple of times both nights. If you like trains - this place is great. If you don't wnat to be waken by the trains, ask for a room on the quiet side. Service is outstanding and the "white ghost" statutes placed around the hotel add a nice touch. The Crowne Plaza is located downtown and within a short (1 -2 blocks) walk of a lot of good restaurants.

Room Tip: If you like trains, ask for a train car room next to the tracks, if you need an uninterupted 8 hours...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
doc671
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

Stayed here 4 nights for a conference. Room was clean and comfortable with plenty of space to move around in. The shower had a hand held sprayer which didn't work very good but at least the towels were soft. I was warned ahead of time about the trains coming through the station and some reviewers didn't mind the noise but I found the rumbling and shaking walls disturbing. It might depend on which room you stay in as some may be quieter than others. My room and window faced the hallway so it was rather dark and the staff tended to make a lot of noise in the hallway. The Pullman sleeper cars were neat though if you didn't close the blinds, you were on full display for everyone to see. There was plenty of parking in downtown but rather expensive $22 a day. There was also no shortage of good restaurants around town so I would skip the hotel restaurant. The hotel staff was very pleasant but the staff at the door had no interest in helping guests load or unload luggage. Seemed to me that was their job but it was 90+ that week so I wouldn't blame them for wanting to stay out of the heat. Overall it was an interesting place to stay though I would probably choose a different hotel on my next trip.

Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station), responded to this review, July 24, 2012
Dear doc671,

Thank you for your review and your recent stay with us. I am glad that you found the room clean and comfortable. Please allow me to apologize for the inconvenience and negative impression you may have had because of the noise, poor service from our staff and the parking charge. Rest assured that these issues will be looked into. I sincerely hope that the next time you are in Indianapolis you will give our hotel another try.

Karen C
Salem, Indiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

I was excited about staying at this hotel because of the historical aspect, but found myself very disappointed. My son and I stayed two nights in a third-floor room. We did have an exterior-facing room with a great view of Lucas Oil Stadium, which was nice, and I loved the architecture throughout the building. Also, there was a very nice man at the front desk who offered us a map of downtown when we were heading out.

Now for the negatives. The room -- while spacious enough -- did not feel clean at all. The carpet was stained, and the bathroom did not seem like it had been cleaned thoroughly after the previous guest. The ceiling in the bathroom was incredibly low, which gave a claustrophobic feel to it -- I'm 5'7", and I could easily put my palm on the ceiling when taking a shower. The showerhead was very low on the wall, making showering uncomfortable -- again, I'm not unusually tall, and I had to bend my knees to wash my hair. I don't see how anyone over 6 ft. could have used that shower at all. After our first night there, our key cards stopped working, and the people at the front desk said it was our fault because we must have put them on the television which messed them up. We actually kept the cards on the nightstand, but whatever. That afternoon, the electricity went off, but thankfully came back on after a minute. That same afternoon the elevator messes up while my son was in it and took him up and down a few times -- with the door never opening -- before finally stopping on our floor. There also were very few outlets in the room, making it difficult us to charge both cell phones and Ipads during the night. The pool was unimpressive, and a couple of the machines in the tiny workout room were broken. The elevator floors were filthy as it looked like someone had been eating in there and left crumbs all over the floor . . . they were this way hours later when we were in the elevator again, so apparently it wasn't a priority for anyone.

I realize that none of these things are huge, but added together they made for a less-than-enjoyable stay for us. It was nice to see the architecture and the train cars, but I would never stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Dear stacey j,

Thank you for submitting your review of our hotel. I'm delighted you liked the architecture of our hotel and the view of Lucas Oil Stadium. I'm also pleased the service you received from our front desk staff exceeded your expectations. We work diligently to ensure our facilities are well maintained and we try our hardest to provide not just good value, but comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. I'm sorry for the shortcomings you have experienced during your stay and regret you were not satisfied with the conditions of the room you received. Rest assured that these issues will be looked into. We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and we hope to have the opportunity to serve you again.

Joel B
IHGCare

Been to Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown (Union Station)? Share your experiences!