“Unknown Jewel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Airport

You added Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Airport to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Airport
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2501 South High School Road, Indianapolis, IN 46241 (Formerly Holiday Inn Select Indianapolis Airport)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #56 of 183 Hotels in Indianapolis
Danville, Indiana
“Unknown Jewel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We were here last Saturday, what a beautiful place, indoor pool, starbucks, lovely rooms. We were at a catered event so didn't get to try the hotel food but everything was nice, clean and the staff were very helpful.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Renee H, Manager at Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Airport, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property. We are glad to hear you enjoyed the time you spent here. We hope the next time you visit you get a chance to try our restaurant!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I have delayed writing this review so I could be fair. We stayed in this hotel for a weekend for a seminar type event. I would agree that it deserved a three to a three and a half star rating. It was very neat and clean. The beds extremely comfortable and the rooms spacious enough. The decor of the public spaces were tasteful and simple. The pool always had ample towels and was a clean area. The carpets, flooring, and windows in the public spaces were immaculately clean. The housekeeping staff was well groomed and polite and efficient. The restaurant staff was friendly and accommodating. The folks at the front desk were friendly, but several times seemed understaffed as lines formed to wait for assistance. I have often seen a more uniformed appearance at the desk in other three and a half star hotels which may have given a better impression. We were very impressed that there was a special quiet floor where one could be assured that no circus or marching band would be assigned there! (according to the sign!!) How clever!! This was a model property.
Had this been our only experience this would have been an above average review. I hesitate to write about a bad experience because anything can happen and be human error. But since this was a review of OUR experience at this property, it is an honest review. Early the first morning, about 5 am, we were locked out of our bathroom by closing the door when someone came out. No one turned the lever but it was broken and malfunctioning. With no one in the bathroom, the door was closed and it was locked from the inside. We called down to the desk. They said they could not do anything until later when the maintenance came in. They indicated this had happened before and there was a special key or tool to unlock these doors, but no one had it until maintenance came in. They sent a housekeeper up with a coat hanger, ( at our request to try something) but since it was not a push button lock, no luck. They gave us a key to another room down the hall to use its restroom/shower until ours was fixed.. ( That bathroom door lock was also wobbly and loose.) So after only about five hours of sleep, and a morning fiasco, we had to get ready for our first meeting. Isn't it good we did not have a child locked in the bathroom with no one knowing how to unlock it? They assured us that maintenance would unlock it just as soon as they got in. Several hours later, before noon, I called to check on it and the desk said they thought it had been taken care of. The maintenance man came up to the room with the special tool, gave me a lesson on how locks work and said it was "no big deal. He acted like we did not know how to work a bathroom lock when in fact that lock was faulty and did become locked every few times you closed the door. He said he thought that we had checked out, so did not make it a priority to come up. We were scheduled to stay another day and had no plans to check out. But if I had not followed up and called again for this repair, it would have gone much later in the day. I just feel like a hotel room with no use of the restroom should be a priority for the service personnel. We had to go down the hall every time we needed to use the restroom or to shower and shave to get ready for the meetings. I don't think that was acceptable. It was better than packing up and moving rooms at five a.m. after only a few hours sleep so I am glad we did not do that. I don't think this is what everyone will experience at this hotel, but I think the front desk should have had the capability/ tool and training to open a door when locked especially if this was not the first time this had happened. So I am going to give it an average rating balancing between nice property and an unfortunate situation.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Renee H, Manager at Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Airport, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Hello,

Thank you so much for writing this review. The way that your situation was handled was not how we should have handled it and for that I apologize. We do use guest feedback to improve the service we provide. Thanks to your feedback we have made sure that all of our front desk staff has the proper tools to immediately take care of a problem such as this as well as the proper procedures.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

My husband and I stayed two nights with our son (5) and nephew (4). We had a great experience: clean room, quiet, free parking, indoor pool, fast service, and beautiful decor in lobby and rooms. If I had any recommendations it would be: better prices for breakfast, include a small safe or mini fridge.
Even though you are right near the airport, the sound is minimal (if in your room). The drive to downtown is 10 minutes away.
Overall we enjoyed our stay and would stay again.

• Stayed October 2012
Renee H, Manager at Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Airport, responded to this review, October 27, 2012
Hi,

It's great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us! I appreciate your suggestions and will bring this review to our guest satisfaction meeting. Thanks again for taking the time to write a review.
Indianapolis, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

This was my first time actually staying here but used this hotel for parking many times. This time decided to stay as we had a early flight and although I only live about 30 minutes away it was still nice to roll out of bed and go downstairs and grab the shuttle to catch our flight.

Check in was very pleasant and professional. The person checking me in gave me all the info I could possibly want about the property etc. Also, as a Priority Club Platinum was given and upgrade to and Executive Club room.

The room was much nicer than expected. Typically airport properties have some pretty basic furnishings etc. This room was very clean and well appointed with a fairly modern design. I couldnt reall find any fault with the room. Internet code was provided at check in and worked well.

I just popped into the club lounge to check it out and it was actually pretty nice. It is not going to compare to a club lounge in Europe or Asia but has some decent little snacks and soft drink on offer. For an Indianapolis airport hotel, about as good as it gets.

Location is actually not so bad if you want to stay at the airport but still want to go downtown for dinner or work. The hotel has extremely good access to I-465 and I-70 so you will be downtown in like 10 minutes. I dont see a taxi standing out at this property much when we are there but I am sure the front desk can call one for you pretty easily. The properties further to the west are probably better located for getting to the airport but you are probably only talking a few minutes difference so that different is minimal but those properties are not so easy to get downtown from.

We are pretty familiar with the shuttle and it leaves pretty much on schedule at the hotel at the top and bottom of the hour (:00 and :30) and quarter past the hour and half hour (:15 and :45). You can call if you like but think it will pretty much run at those times but maybe early in the morning or late at night it is best to call to make sure they know you are there.

For dining you are pretty much limited to the hotels restaurant if you dont have a car. As stated before though you can take a taxi downtown pretty easily and shouldnt be that expensive. Perhaps the hotel provides shuttle service downtown for a fee but did not inquire about it as we did not need it. I just wish properties would post their menus online so you can prepare for you stay better, especially for airport properties. Not like a link to a PDF file is so hard these days.

Overall, for an airport property this is above average in my opinion and think I will be staying the night before more often instead of just using the parking only.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Hi,

Thank you for your review. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us! Our desk is happy to arrange a taxi for our guests. We work with a local company to ensure our guest's get the best rates possible. Our shuttle also provides complimentary service within three miles of the hotel, this includes many fast food restaurants as well as a handful of sit down restaurants.

We are happy you will be returning!
Wakefield, Rhode Island
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

Our one night at the Crowne Plaza was very nice. Yes, it's near the airport so you will occasionally get a pretty loud plane going by but not so bad that it's much to think about. The front desk and check-in were quick and friendly. We did not eat there so I can't comment on the food or the pool. We were really just there for an overnight onroute to another destination. But it was clean, beds were comfortable, nice bath, free internet that worked, and the TV worked, so that was all we needed! No complimentary breakfast, but that's a minor drawback. Overall, very nice.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Renee H, Manager at Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Airport, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
Hi,

Thank you for writing a review of our hotel. We are glad to see that it met your expectations. We hope you will stay with us again when you can take advantage of the other amenities we offer.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012 via mobile

I travel a lot for work and have not stayed at a crowne plaza in many years but I can say overall I had a nice stay. The rooms were clean and the beds were very nice. It is true about the planes flying at night and you hear it more on one side of the building than the other. However, the first morning I was there I had breakfast at their restaurant. First I was poured a cup of coffee and it looked like the bag had burst in it. I asked for another and the woman told me that's what Starbucks coffee looks like and if I would have just ordered their coffee it wouldn't be like that. I drink Starbucks just about everyday and there is not stuff floating around in it! Then when she brought me the cream for my coffee I watched her grab it off the table near us that someone had already used. When the meal came it wasn't any better. We were offered the breakfast buffet to begin with but everything looked old so we opted to order off the menu. The only fresh thing on our plates were the eggs. The potatoes and bacon were obviously taken off the buffet table. All I could eat were the eggs which were extremely salty. As soon as I arrived at my worksite I became deathly ill. I had to go back to my room for the rest of the day and could not stomach food until late in the evening. Therefore I wasted a day of work which is the whole reason why I was there. I like the hotel and will possibly stay at one again but I will NEVER eat the food again.

• Stayed September 2012
Hello,

Thank you for sharing this information with us. We certainly our guests to enjoy their entire stay in our hotel. Please know that our Food and Beverage Department has been made aware of your experience and that we take things like this very seriously. This is not how we run our restaurant and I do hope you will consider giving our restaurant another chance.
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

On my recent trip to Indianapolis, this stay was great. The front desk staff was wonderfull. Tamara in Room service was great and helpfull. She advise me on the best offers for the evening on food and specials. The front desk staff is alway great. The Landing restaurant has not friendly at all. But the Tamara, and Melisa at the front desk is the best in customer service.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Renee H, Manager at Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Airport, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Hi,

We are please to hear that Tamara and Melissa made your stay extra special, we will be sure to pass this along to them. I am sorry to see that you didn't feel our restaurant staff was freindly, but please know I will be sure to pass this information along to the correct person. We want every part of your stay to be fantastic! Thank you for this review.

Been to Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Airport? Share your experiences!