“B.O.A.B ~ Great Atmosphere” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Clarion Hotel & Conference Center

Save Saved
You added Clarion Hotel & Conference Center to your Saves list
Clarion Hotel & Conference Center
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2930 Waterfront Parkway, West Drive, Indianapolis, IN 46214   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #112 of 183 hotels in Indianapolis
Indianapolis
“B.O.A.B ~ Great Atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

Nice hotel with an historic atmosphere. All the rooms have a refrigerator and microwave which was very convenient. I attended an affair located at the hotel and the staff was very friendly and helpful. During our stay, they were remodeling but it didn't interrupt or cause any confusion with our event. I am certain I will visit and stay at this hotel again. For the cost, amenties and service received, it's an excellent choice and I would highly recommend it to anyone needing a hotel while visiting this part of town in Indianapolis.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

95 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

This was one of the more adventurous hotel stays I have ever had. First the positives. The staff was very friendly and did their best to make me feel welcome. Kudos to them! Let's see...what else...hmmm...thinking...thinking...oh yeah there was a roof. Let us embarck upon a quick journey through this hotel. It is big, eerily big. Like The Shining big without the quaintness or the view but it does have a spacious deserted unlit pool area in the middle with a plexiglass roof for natural lighting. Walking into my room I was greeted with a muted musty cigarette smoke aroma followed by a coolness of residual humidity that wouldn't leave regardless of how high I turned up the AC. The bed was comfy enough. The next morning I awoke to learn that I should have brought my tankless water heater. It was a cold borderline mildly cold shower. The kind you take during the Summer to cool off. Did I mention it was 55 degrees or so that morning? Now that I am completely awake, I thought the complimentary breakfast would warm me up a bit. Thanks for playing. Remember the spacious deserted unlit pool area? Imagine that at 0-dark thirty, in this case 7:00am. Fortunately I brought my night vision goggles and I was able to locate the breakfast buffet or lack thereof. The other poor souls who ventured out were swatting at the dark air feverishly for food. I alerted them my presence and my technology. They were most grateful and we passed the time over store bought bagels and luke warm coffee. We said our good byes and parted ways. As I was leaving, I could have sworn I heard a ragtime ditty over the speakers. How apropos for this sinking ship.

Room Tip: Stay somehere else. Anywhere else.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
dperino, Manager at Clarion Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
I had to take a bit of time before responding to this.. Here are my thoughts: The Titanic was a luxury cruise liner and to be compared to that is really not such a bad thing. And since the Hotel is located in Indiana the chances of running into an Iceberg, even in the dead of Winter, are nil to none.
On a more serious note, I would love the opportunity to speak with you in person. Please feel free to contact me at 317.299.8400.
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

Nice hotel, The staff was great and very friendly. Very suited to our needs. Stayed here for a party and rented one of the conference rooms. The staff was very helpful and the hotel was clean. I would certainly stay here again and am going to in September.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
dperino, Manager at Clarion Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Thank you so much for your nice review of our Hotel. We strive so very hard to make every costumer experience special.
Elma WA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

They were updating the place, room was good, even with lots of teenages in the building from drum corps it was quiet and nice. Great view of waterfront, staff was friendly, breakfast needed to be better variety. I would probably stay here again if ever come back to IIndianapolis

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
dperino, General Manager at Clarion Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our Hotel and your stay here. Your feedback is very important to us and we are so glad that you would consider staying with us again, if you get back to Indianapolis. We would love to show off our improvements over time. Can't wait to meet you.
Burgess Hill, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

As a group of 4 friends on a budget we stayed 1 night on the way to Ohio and 2 nights on the way back to Oshkosh. If it helps, 3 of us are retired and we were on an Aviation/Museum themed holiday.

The staff were exemplary in their professionalism and friendliness.

The hotel is undergoing substantial refurbishment but that didn't affect us at all. The rooms we had were fine, well on a par with anything else we found during our 3 week stay in the USA.
I see some reviewers mention the smell of chlorine but I'd say that seems common in the motels/hotels we used and certainly didn't notice any other "smells".

Breakfast was a cut above most of the places we stayed and catered well to our "UK" appetites.

It is placed close to the Speedway and there are a godd selection of eateries a short drive away; the in-house restaurant mentioned in a guide was closed while we were there.

I'd recommend it to anyone,

Phil

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
dperino, General Manager at Clarion Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
Thank you so very much for haven taken the time to write about our Hotel. You have no idea how much it is appreciated and we are so glad you stayed with us. We very much enjoyed having you and hope perhaps you will come see us again.
Churchville
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

The price was good, but there are a few issues with bad smells and cleanliness. There is an indoor pool, so be prepared to smell a lot of chlorine when you are in the building. The hallway from the inner part of the hotel to the lobby smelled of something worse, maybe urine? I mentioned the urine smell to the front desk and they seemed surprised, but I can't imagine that they don't realize this (unless they have become used to it).

We stayed 2 days and our room was not made up the second day. We got back tired at about 6pm from a day site-seeing and found it exactly as we had left it at 9am. The front desk said they would send someone around, but who wants to wait around and have housekeeping in their room when all you want to do is relax and take a shower? They gave us towels and we just accepted this. I should mention that there did not appear to be more than a handful of other guests when we stayed there, yet they put us on the second floor (and there were plenty of empty rooms on the first floor) and couldn't clean our room.

I used the hot tub which was a little creepy since there were some flying insects and a clump of hair floating around; I assumed the chlorine would kill off anything infectious!

I had really hoped for more, but the price was reasonable.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your feedback about your stay. Please be assured that we take your comments very seriously and work to correct anything that may negatively influence your stay with us. The hallway carpets are almost brand new, but I had them all cleaned a couple of days ago in hopes that the odor is banished forever. Unfortunately not much I can do about the pool but hope that you will stay with us again. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance to you.
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

I am part of a group of 5 teachers who meet yearly in Indy with our children. We switched our usual hotel to the Clarion because it was less expensive. Now we will always book at this hotel. They were able to give us 5 rooms in a row pool side. The rooms were clean and two sets of them were adjoining. This was great because the kids could be in one room and the adults could hang out in the other room. The breakfast was free and yummy. Craig who worked at the front desk was very friendly and helpful. The rest of the staff (sorry I don't remember anyone else's name) were also friendly and helpful.The hotel is very conveniently located. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone going to Indy!! Make certain you use your AAA card for a great discount!!.

Room Tip: The first floor rooms poolside are great if you have kids!!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
We appreciate so very much the time you took to comment our Hotel and excited to know that you enjoyed your stay. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you in the future.

Been to Clarion Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!