“Best part of my trip” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Stone Soup Inn

You added Stone Soup Inn to your Saves list
Stone Soup Inn
2.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   1304 N. Central Avenue, Indianapolis, IN 46202   |
Ranked #8 of 20 Indianapolis B&B and Inns
reseda, ca
“Best part of my trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

Had a great stay. The welcoming atmosphere, clean and authentic style and wonderful hotel owner/manager (Tom) really made my stay in Indianapolis fantastic. I will certainly stay here again next time I visit Indianapolis. Tom is the best and they'll take great care of you at Stone Soup Inn!

Room Tip: The Lily room was very nice!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

Highly recommend this B&B. The accommodations are charming. Great location. Minutes drive to Mass Ave. Located in nice residential neighborhood. Breakfast was delicious and the service was spectacular. Will go again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Sarasota, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

We like period places and this one fits the bill as you are transported visually to earlier times. Pictures on the wall of people in the early 1900's will live on as they and antiques are everywhere.

We stayed in the Victorian Room on the second floor and were very comfortable with a large closet and plenty of amenities. This room has a shared bath but we were there on a Sunday and Monday night and noone else was in the adjoining room who would share. Other rooms have their own bathrooms.

The house is very clean and welcoming with common areas (lounges and porches) on the first and second floor. It is air conditioned throughout which is a blessing on hot summer days.

There are two 'sister properties' nearby that have a fitness center and a spa that is available to those at Stone Soup Inn.

There is off-street parking, a healthy breakfast and a very cordial innkeeper. Flowers abound on the outside and the neighborhood is quiet and secure. Prices are reasonable and we found it quite charming.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
San Antonio, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

The location of this B&B is awesome -tucked way in a turn of the century house in historic North Indy. Great walking areas, convenient to downtown either by bus that stops right on the corner, a short, inexpensive taxi ride, or a nice 30 minute stroll. The room was clean and check-in was smooth. Phenomenal water pressure. However, it really is the little things that matter - and this B&B needs to get a handle on those little things.......no soap in the bathroom for showering, no water in the snack center (although stocked with plenty of sodas), a better set up in the dining room (they have a huge room with a huge table that only seats six - and since they serve both buffet style, from the kitchen, and off the table, it really makes it awkward for folks who aren't at the table. This room could very easily accomodate 4 or 5 four person tables that would allow everyone to sit down for breakfast and not have to go outside. While personable, the innkeeper really needs to be cleaned up a bit - his hair was never combed and his clothes looked VERY casual and a bit drab - you got the idea he literally rolled out of bed and came to work. I had also been told the property would be more than happy to arrange a taxi for me, but when I inquired, was given the phone number to call (which is fine, I am self sufficient - but don't say you provide a service you don't). Additionally, there is a DVD Library (which really is a large VHS library with a few DVDs) but there is no where in the house I could find with a DVD player or a VHS player to actually use this amenity. There was no player in my room nor were there any TV's in any of the common area spaces, so you have to ask yourself what the point is. Overall, if you are looking for a place to crash at a reasonable price, go for it - but don't expect the basics. Additionally, while I also realize this is a historic home, it needs to be refreshed somewhat with more period items and decor, just really needs some TLC.

Room Tip: The blue room has the AC vent under the bed, so if it is open, you need to sleep on the other end of...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

My husband and I have stayed in dozens of B and Bs. The Stone Soup Inn was okay, nothing outstanding in either a bad or a good way. Our "loft" room (read: "attic") looked a bit Spartan, but the queen bed was memory foam and very comfortable, and the bathroom had a lot of space to spread your toiletries out on, which is always appreciated. Be warned, though, that the water pressure was practically nonexistent. Also, there were no extra pillows or blankets in the room. There was, bizarrely, what I took at first to be a little lap blanket thrown over the armchair, but it turned out to be just a couple yards of brown, upholstery-type fabric! What the heck?! We ended up throwing it over the curtain rod (which only had thin white cotton curtains) to darken the room. Which, I guess, is what it was for, but--gee, why not provide shades??

It is a pretty house, and the public rooms and porches are very attractive. Everything was clean and quiet. The breakfast was good. There's only space for maybe half the guests to eat at one time, though. We had to hover around downstairs waiting for someone to get up and leave the dining room, which really doesn't make anyone feel comfortable, them or us.

Room Tip: The second floor rooms looked very attractive. The attic rooms are less expensive, and ours looked...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Cleveland, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

The location was easy to find, clean, and comfortable. It is just a quick drive to downtown Indianapolis and Mass Ave (with lots to do). Breakfast in the morning is delicious and filling, and staff members were very helpful in assisting us with things to do in the city. Some details are outdated (for example, their "DVD library" is really a VHS library with a few DVDs), but that adds to the charm and character of the place. Overall, we enjoyed this lovely, quaint place to stay in Indianapolis.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
New Albany, Indiana, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

I set up a reservation through the front desk for a local event. I did this against my better judgement as when I initially called the receptionist put me on hold several times and disconnected my call before finally making the reservation. I had a question about their refund policy because the event that I made the reservations for was tentative, the performer has been making a lot of cancellations recently. I was told that if you cancel outside of seven days you get a full refund. About a week later I had to cancel my reservation because the event was cancelled and I saw that the amount refunded was different from the amount I paid. I called to ask why, explained what I was told and read the refund policy in the email (which reads that a 15% service charge is issued if cancellation is made within 7 days of reservation date) and was told that the charge was actually issued any time a cancellation was made. Not a huge deal, but instead of apologizing for the misunderstanding when I explained the person I spoke with had told me differently, the receptionist basically called me a liar by saying "THEIR people would NEVER say that," and proceeded to rudely explain how the refund policy is on the website and that the inn interprets the refund policy differently than how I read it. So why did the original receptionist say differently? I was getting nowhere with the receptionist so I posted a dissatisfied comment on their facebook page and instead of addressing the issue, acknowledging the poor customer service or apologizing, they deleted the comment and blocked me from sending them a message or leaving a comment.

Honestly, the service charge wasn't a big deal- the fact that she was blatantly rude, the original receptionist disconnected my call twice and the inn seems comfortable ignoring and removing bad reviews rather than addressing the problem is a guarantee that I won't go back and have recommended to any friends not to attempt the establishment. If customer service is this bad before you get in the door, I can't imagine what it's like when you're there. The entire reason I chose that inn over a big box hotel was the hospitality standards that are an expectation of this kind of establishment. Unfortunately, Stone Soup Inn doesn't seem to worry about bothering with proper customer service. This was my first experience with a bed and breakfast and will probably be my last as at least I know that I can expect proper customer service from a big box hotel. Sad that local businesses are letting big business do it better.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple