“It's the little thing folks..........but great location” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Stone Soup Inn

Save Saved
You added Stone Soup Inn to your Saves list
Stone Soup Inn
2.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   1304 N. Central Ave., Indianapolis, IN 46202   |
Ranked #7 of 21 Indianapolis B&B and Inns
San Antonio, Texas
“It's the little thing folks..........but great location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

The location of this B&B is awesome -tucked way in a turn of the century house in historic North Indy. Great walking areas, convenient to downtown either by bus that stops right on the corner, a short, inexpensive taxi ride, or a nice 30 minute stroll. The room was clean and check-in was smooth. Phenomenal water pressure. However, it really is the little things that matter - and this B&B needs to get a handle on those little things.......no soap in the bathroom for showering, no water in the snack center (although stocked with plenty of sodas), a better set up in the dining room (they have a huge room with a huge table that only seats six - and since they serve both buffet style, from the kitchen, and off the table, it really makes it awkward for folks who aren't at the table. This room could very easily accomodate 4 or 5 four person tables that would allow everyone to sit down for breakfast and not have to go outside. While personable, the innkeeper really needs to be cleaned up a bit - his hair was never combed and his clothes looked VERY casual and a bit drab - you got the idea he literally rolled out of bed and came to work. I had also been told the property would be more than happy to arrange a taxi for me, but when I inquired, was given the phone number to call (which is fine, I am self sufficient - but don't say you provide a service you don't). Additionally, there is a DVD Library (which really is a large VHS library with a few DVDs) but there is no where in the house I could find with a DVD player or a VHS player to actually use this amenity. There was no player in my room nor were there any TV's in any of the common area spaces, so you have to ask yourself what the point is. Overall, if you are looking for a place to crash at a reasonable price, go for it - but don't expect the basics. Additionally, while I also realize this is a historic home, it needs to be refreshed somewhat with more period items and decor, just really needs some TLC.

Room Tip: The blue room has the AC vent under the bed, so if it is open, you need to sleep on the other end of...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

My husband and I have stayed in dozens of B and Bs. The Stone Soup Inn was okay, nothing outstanding in either a bad or a good way. Our "loft" room (read: "attic") looked a bit Spartan, but the queen bed was memory foam and very comfortable, and the bathroom had a lot of space to spread your toiletries out on, which is always appreciated. Be warned, though, that the water pressure was practically nonexistent. Also, there were no extra pillows or blankets in the room. There was, bizarrely, what I took at first to be a little lap blanket thrown over the armchair, but it turned out to be just a couple yards of brown, upholstery-type fabric! What the heck?! We ended up throwing it over the curtain rod (which only had thin white cotton curtains) to darken the room. Which, I guess, is what it was for, but--gee, why not provide shades??

It is a pretty house, and the public rooms and porches are very attractive. Everything was clean and quiet. The breakfast was good. There's only space for maybe half the guests to eat at one time, though. We had to hover around downstairs waiting for someone to get up and leave the dining room, which really doesn't make anyone feel comfortable, them or us.

Room Tip: The second floor rooms looked very attractive. The attic rooms are less expensive, and ours looked...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Cleveland, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

The location was easy to find, clean, and comfortable. It is just a quick drive to downtown Indianapolis and Mass Ave (with lots to do). Breakfast in the morning is delicious and filling, and staff members were very helpful in assisting us with things to do in the city. Some details are outdated (for example, their "DVD library" is really a VHS library with a few DVDs), but that adds to the charm and character of the place. Overall, we enjoyed this lovely, quaint place to stay in Indianapolis.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
New Albany, Indiana, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

I set up a reservation through the front desk for a local event. I did this against my better judgement as when I initially called the receptionist put me on hold several times and disconnected my call before finally making the reservation. I had a question about their refund policy because the event that I made the reservations for was tentative, the performer has been making a lot of cancellations recently. I was told that if you cancel outside of seven days you get a full refund. About a week later I had to cancel my reservation because the event was cancelled and I saw that the amount refunded was different from the amount I paid. I called to ask why, explained what I was told and read the refund policy in the email (which reads that a 15% service charge is issued if cancellation is made within 7 days of reservation date) and was told that the charge was actually issued any time a cancellation was made. Not a huge deal, but instead of apologizing for the misunderstanding when I explained the person I spoke with had told me differently, the receptionist basically called me a liar by saying "THEIR people would NEVER say that," and proceeded to rudely explain how the refund policy is on the website and that the inn interprets the refund policy differently than how I read it. So why did the original receptionist say differently? I was getting nowhere with the receptionist so I posted a dissatisfied comment on their facebook page and instead of addressing the issue, acknowledging the poor customer service or apologizing, they deleted the comment and blocked me from sending them a message or leaving a comment.

Honestly, the service charge wasn't a big deal- the fact that she was blatantly rude, the original receptionist disconnected my call twice and the inn seems comfortable ignoring and removing bad reviews rather than addressing the problem is a guarantee that I won't go back and have recommended to any friends not to attempt the establishment. If customer service is this bad before you get in the door, I can't imagine what it's like when you're there. The entire reason I chose that inn over a big box hotel was the hospitality standards that are an expectation of this kind of establishment. Unfortunately, Stone Soup Inn doesn't seem to worry about bothering with proper customer service. This was my first experience with a bed and breakfast and will probably be my last as at least I know that I can expect proper customer service from a big box hotel. Sad that local businesses are letting big business do it better.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Lafayette Indiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

Its all in the little things and how the host behaves. As in we could not locate a new roll of toilet paper in our room or in the bathroom in the hall. We resorted to taking a few rounds from the hall bathroom, not wanting to create the same situation for other guests assigned to that hall bathroom.

Breakfast was rather terrible. A casserole with underbaked eggs and cheese with way too much bread. Six place settings and seats at the breakfast table and 12 guests - six waiting in line. The coffee ran out. Guests were grabbing coffee cups off the table and taking coffee to their rooms during our breakfast. One old man was running the place. He made conversation by saying that all people who lived in Indiana were from Kentucky; that he was missing his bible study and golf game because his wife was not there to help him; and his daughter who owned the place was going through a nasty divorce. Oh, he volunteered the dispute between his daughter and her husband was all about money and ego. It was really more than I wanted to know. It appeared that this old guy was recruited at the last minute on the weekend to run things and was releasing his frustration by spilling his guts to the guests.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
BLOOMINGTON
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I stay here probably once a month or so for work. Location cannot be beat, food is very good, and the prices are competitive with most large hotels while maintaining a cozy, comfortable atmosphere. I am a big fan of the two shared bathroom rooms- the Victorian and the Craftsman. At $85 they are a steal, and perfect if you are traveling with a colleague. Free wifi, free incredible breakfast, free butler's pantry stocked with sodas, snacks, coffee, tea, cocoa. This place has become a home away from home in Indianapolis for both business and pleasure. Convenient to the restaurants, bars, and venues on Mass Ave, I really cannot recommend it highly enough.

Room Tip: The Craftsman and Victorian are good deals, especially if you are traveling with a friend or another...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Muncie
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

The Stone Soup Inn was simply amazing! It was close enough for us park our car there and walk to most our destinations. We had dinner a bit later at Bru Burger and were able to get a taxi for less than ten dollars! The Inn keeper, Nate, was more than helpful with all our needs! We will never stay at a hotel again as long as The Stone Soup Inn is around!

Room Tip: The Victorian is beautiful!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Stone Soup Inn? Share your experiences!