“Apartment style living” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Candlewood Suites Indianapolis Dwtn Medical Dist

You added Candlewood Suites Indianapolis Dwtn Medical Dist to your Saves list
Candlewood Suites Indianapolis Dwtn Medical Dist
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1152 N White River Pkwy West Dr, Indianapolis, IN 46222 (Formerly Candlewood Suites Indianapolis City Centre)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #73 of 183 Hotels in Indianapolis
Boothbay, Maine
“Apartment style living”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

I was very impressed when I opened the door to my room in this all-suite hotel! I am accustomed to "mini-suites" where bed, couch and kitchenette are all in one space. This was virtually a one-bedroom apartment with a living room/kitchen and a real bedroom down the hall, as well as several size full closets. I had a conference rate of $79 per night for all of this space which was a tremendous bargain, if you ask me! The concept of this hotel chain is that they do not offer daily housekeeping service. If you want your trash emptied, you put it outside your door. If you need towels or sheets, you bring the dirty ones down to the front desk and exchange them. This is fine with me. Almost always, when I stay in a hotel that advertises the "going green" policy of not replacing towels daily, no matter where I put them, I find new ones put out anyway. At least this way, I am able to "go green" and the hotel can pass on the savings and keep rates low by not keeping a fleet of housekeepers on duty. I was amazed at how quiet this hotel was. The adjacent building is exactly the same as the hotel but for more long term stays and seems to be filled with I.U. students, so I was expecting some late night noise from their parking lot. But that never happened. The hallway was quiet every night of my four-night stay as well. There is no restaurant, food service or bar on the property, so planning ahead is essential. You can purchase cold drinks, snacks, cereal, milk and microwave meals from their mini convenience store, which works well since suites have a full kitchen. The hotel is rather isolated and you cannot walk to a good restaurant. You can order take out from nearby venues. There is an hourly shuttle service that guests may take for a nominal fee which will bring you to the downtown district a couple of miles away, so you can conveniently go out to eat and take a cab or the shuttle back to the hotel. Regarding amenities: the bed was great! It seemed a bit firm at first but was really comfortable and I did not notice any aches or pains that come from poor support in a mattress. I would prefer the washable duvets on the beds after seeing a hotel expose' on T.V. that shows what is left on hotel bedspreads and quilts. But I manage O.K. by making sure that the sheet is turned down to cover the top of the quilt. The bathroom was fine but I missed having a bath mat or non-slip surface in the tub. I was rooming alone and thought of a story a friend of mine told about slipping in the shower, getting a concussion and passing out with no-one there to help. Just a safety feature I would add.
Overall, a great stay and I would recommend this hotel to others traveling to Indianapolis.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Don H, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Indianapolis Dwtn Medical Dist, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a lengthy, and very favorable, review of your recent stay at our facility. The brand is in the transitional phase of getting rid of the previous bed comforters, in favor of a new standard bedding package.

I hope that if you should return to Indy, the Candlewood Suites Medical District is your hotel of choice.

Don Hilton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

Very clean, spacious room. Helpful and courteous staff. Free laundry facility provided. In-room kichenette was a big bonus
Quiet location and not too far from Indianapolis. A short distance from IUPUI.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Don H, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Indianapolis Dwtn Medical Dist, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Thank you so much for the recent review of our establishment. I am pleased to hear that we met and/or exceeded your expectations. If you should return to the area, I hope Candlewood Suites is your hotel of choice.

General Manger
Tyler, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

Recently stayed at this hotel while attending a conference in Indianapolis. The particular reason I chose this hotel was that it had two separate bedrooms and I was traveling with my two teenager kids.

The good features of this hotel are
- It is huge for a hotel. We had two bedrooms, large separate living area, with sofa bed . Fully equipped kitchen. Each room has its own TV.. 3 TV in total.
- free wireless and packing
- two miles to downtown , shuttle to downtown at a fee of 5 dollars flat rate.
Bad features are :
- this hotel is treated as extended stay, so room service is only weekly. If you need new towels before the 7 day , you have to get them yourself
-no breakfast provided complimentary or otherwise
-no restaurant on the property

In summary, if you are looking for space for a big family. This is the right hotel for you but not right for a single person on business trip

• Stayed August 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Indianapolis Dwtn Medical Dist, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Dear 1Chris_N_11,

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Mishawaka, Indiana, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

Very clean, spacious rooms. Neat and all amenities included. Coffee available round the clock in the 24 hour store for free. Parking was a little inconvenient and the drive is a little hard to find if you're not on your toes. Excellent customer service. Quiet rooms and very private. Even having a studio room, we had ample room for all our things and to spread out.. Stayed here before in Nov. 2012 and were delighted. That was for a longer stay and this was an overnighter. I'd recommend this hotel to anyone. One drawback was it's lack of an easy way back to IU Hospital and to restaurants. But that is not something that would put me off in any way.

Room Tip: If you don't have a family, friends, or children with you, a studio is more than sufficient for...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Don H, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Indianapolis Dwtn Medical Dist, responded to this review, August 4, 2013
Thank you so much for your positive review from your return stay. I am glad to hear that you were once again impressed with the facilities and staff of our location.

I am curious to know as to what you found 'inconvenient' with hotel parking. Unlike many downtown locations, our hotel parking is complimentary to guests.

Hazel Green, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

There were 3 of us in a 2 room unit. There was no oven in the unit, but we were able to check out a toaster oven. The room was plenty big for the 3 of us to be comfortable for a 3 night stay. The staff was friendly. There was an impending snow storm headed that way and had we gotten stuck were informed there was a special 'stuck due to snow' rate (which fortunately we did not need). There was a shuttle to the convention center, but the hours it ran did not work out for us so we drove to the convention center, but it was not far so that was not a problem for us. Would stay there again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your complimentary response from your stay at our facility. We hope that if you return to the area, our location is your hotel of choice.

Lawrenceburg, IN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

Stayed at the CS the night before my son's orientation at IUPUI. We were given a special rate of $84.00. The lobby is small, very low ceiling, but the girl behind the desk was pleasant and we were checked in in a matter of minutes.

The room was massive: separate bedroom w/king bed, a huge living room w/pull out sofa, full kitchen, and one bath. For the most part, the room was pretty clean....just a few smears on the counter, and I had to clean a patch of snot off the bathroom wall. When we opened up the sofa bed, the mattress cover had some pretty gross stains on it, so we closed it back up and my son just slept on the sofa itself. The king bed in the bedroom was very comfortable, but the pillows were pathetic. I actually took a bath towel, rolled it up and put it under the pillow.

For the price it was fine. Good location, very close to the university.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review of our location. I regret that we were unable to 'wow' you with this most recent visit. Inspection(s) of rooms, prior to a guests' using, should have caught some of the cleanliness issues of which you mention. I apologize for these issues and have addressed your concern with our Executive Housekeeper for follow up.

Individual bedding preferences can differ greatly: pillow/mattress style, etc... Most guests of the facility love the pillows and often attempt to purchase for themselves. Obviously, your preference is more towards a denser pillow. If you should happen to visit again, please ask the front desk for a different pillow type.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

Hotel was great and clean. Great service from Vicki. From reading another review I saw Russell name mentioned. When he checked me in he seemed very short and not very professional. Some people have bad days. I don't think it was me because the next person got the same treatment. Almost like he was a robot and all you got was a checked in. Nothing else. Not even a smile.

• Stayed June 2013
Don H, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Indianapolis Dwtn Medical Dist, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Thank you so much for your feedback from your recent stay at our facility. I am pleased that the hotel exceeded your expectations. I do apologize for the 'robotic' way in which you were greeted upon check-in. Obviously, there are certain bullet points that our front desk staff need to address with persons arriving at our location; however, we attempt to do them in a fashion which is not meant to come across as 'robotic'. If back in the area we hope that you give us another opportunity to wow you from start-to-finish this next time.

General Manger

Been to Candlewood Suites Indianapolis Dwtn Medical Dist? Share your experiences!