“Bed bugs” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Shadeland Inn

You added Shadeland Inn to your Saves list
Shadeland Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3525 North Shadeland Avenue, Indianapolis, IN 46226 (Formerly Rodeway Inn)   |
Ranked #166 of 184 Hotels in Indianapolis
“Bed bugs”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2014

I booked this hotel off of a hotel booking site I wasn't sure of the good review and bad reviews... Got there and drove around the building it was do NASTY broken windows people drinking in the parking lot and the place looked run down. The pictures are very deceiving... I called the site because I didn't feel like my kids would be safe sleeping there. They called the manager at the hotel who still wanted to charge me for canceling until I went inside and asked to see the room and they had bed bugs then the manager refunded me my money.

Stayed August 2014
rodewayinnindianapol, Webmaster at Shadeland Inn, responded to this review, September 4, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thanks for commenting even though you chose not to stay with us. I regret that you accuse us of having an insect problem when no such problem exists. I also regret that we could not serve you, but I hope you found pleasant and desirable accommodations elsewhere in town. Maybe we can serve you next time. We’re always getting better because of our continuous improvement process.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Portsmouth, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

Blankets had stains, tub had caulking falling off. Had to clean hair dryer. It had dirt and dust all over it. Gross!! Stay away. Pool was closed, it was empty of water. Breakfast was Sunny D. That's it. Front desk was behind glass. Towels were old and very rough. You get what u pay for.

Stayed July 2014
rodewayinnindianapol, Webmaster at Shadeland Inn, responded to this review, August 19, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thanks for your comments. I’m sorry we could not satisfy you during your recent stay. We take real pride in this hotel and most guests are completely satisfied. In fact, we satisfy hundreds every month. I apologize that we failed to meet your expectations in this isolated case and hope you will try us again. We’re always changing and improving with the goal of being better than ever before.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

I have love this place. Hotel staff was so nice. The front desk help me to check in and check me out very quickly. Housekeeper and room service people are nice too.
Room are beautiful, bed is comfortable. Pool table, game room. Led tv in the Room. This is awesome Hotel. I love it.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Indianapolis, Indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

Place is so dirty and not well kept, but what got me the most is how unprofessional the night auditor was!!! He had such a bad attitude I even said to cancel my reservation cause I didn't care for his attitude. After I said that he immediately worked on my reservation faster and made sure I stayed, so I did. He cursed at least 10 times out of frustration, yet it's his job to serve the guests well. Lets just say I would get fired if I EVER EVER talked to my guests this way. This place need to be OUT OF BUSINESS ASAP!!! I work for choice hotels and I just can't believe this place is associated with our hotel

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
rodewayinnindianapol, Webmaster at Shadeland Inn, responded to this review, June 11, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments. We’re proud to be a Choice Hotel and strive to live up to the company’s high standards every day. We take pride in the cleanliness and quality of our accommodations, too, but I’m sincerely sorry that you were not satisfied. While we satisfy hundreds of guests each month, I respect your decision to stay elsewhere. Please understand that we’re constantly evaluating and improving, so we get better every day.

Dayton, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

This has to be by far the nastiest and unkempt hotel I have ever seen! There were stains on everything...The shower curtain, chairs, wall and bed spread. Some of the staff was very rude.... Not to mention the power outlets have electrical burns and a prong was stuck in a ground plug outlet. Nothing that is claimed in the description online is accurate. No coffee maker, or WIFI, the pool is drained and wouldn't be maintained if it was. These owners care nothing about the appearance of the rooms or the comfort of the guests. I would sleep in my car before EVER stepping foot in that disgrace ever again!!

Room Tip: Run far away from this place!!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thanks so much for the comments. I sincerely apologize that we did not meet your needs during this stay. While we satisfy dozens of guests every week, we clearly did not satisfy you and respect your decision not to return. Please take into account, however, that we have made significant improvements and changes in the weeks since your stay and would happily welcome you again. We’re better than ever now.

St. Louis, MO
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

Through some offer from Choice Hotels I spent three nights there for $95 including tax and got about that much value, including tax. The place was under other brands before and now is a warehouse-like dump in dire need of renovation, but probably safer than it looks at first blush. The lobby too often has loud, sleazy-looking characters, and police and even paramedics are no strangers. But no one bothered me and the staff (what there is of one) seems to try. This place once had a pool, restaurant and business center, all shut down of course. My room could have been better, but honestly I have seen much worse at this level.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

I appreciate your comments. I sincerely apologize that we did not exceed your expectations. We take pride in the property and do what we can to maintain clean, comfortable and pleasant accommodations in a safe and friendly environment. Many guests are completely satisfied, and while I’m pleased that you had a decent stay, I’m truly sorry that you were not more impressed. We improve all the time, so please try us again.

Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

I've recently started booking motels, and will now start paying attention to reviews. In reading reviews dating back 7 years, I found th1at the Rodeway still has the same problems(except for bugs...didn't see any). As of August 2013, the front doors to the lobby are still in disrepair, the lobby still has no air conditioning, and the attached restaurant is still closed.
I stayed for 1 night in room 104 for a visit to the Indiana State Fair. The room was large, but quite dark once the sun went down, as there were only 3 working light fixtures with CFL bulbs. The carpet was dark and apparently clean, but showed wear and tear. I was nervous about walking around with bare feet.
AC outlets in the room were a shortage. The only one I could find for plugging in a laptop was behind the TV, which was already overloaded. I didn't check the TV since I just watched a Netflix movie before going to bed.
The sheets were clean and the bed comfortable. The shower worked, but there were signs of emergency repairs in the walls, not to mention the toilet making noise all night.
No coffee maker, no iron, the corridors are interior, not exterior(which I read online), but the refrigerator was in working order. Like most motels, the air-conditioning unit is very noisy. Not conducive to getting a good night's sleep.
Front desk staff were friendly and were happy to give me another key when I left mine in the room.
Overall, I don't recommend staying here, unless you are really really on a tight budget. Next time, I will spend a few extra bucks on other options.

Room Tip: The front rooms are very close to Shadeland Ave traffic, which is louder than the air-conditioning.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for this review from nearly a year ago. In the time since this feedback, we have used your comments and others to help us improve. We’re now a better, cleaner, safer place than ever before and satisfying hundreds of guests every month. If your travels bring you this way again, I hope you will try us again. We’re enjoying having you with us again.