“A Step Back in Time” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Historic Steer-In Restaurant

Historic Steer-In Restaurant
5130 E 10th St, Indianapolis, IN 46219-4308 (Formerly Harold's Steer-In Restaurant)
317-356-0996
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Dallas, Texas
“A Step Back in Time”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

I saw a lot of negative reviews on this place, but my son and I try to hit one DDD place each time we visit a city. We were all in the mood for breakfast food after noon, so we took a chance.

All of us really enjoyed our food. My wife had bisquits and gravy. She said the bisquits were fluffy and the gravy good. One of my sons had the chicken tenders. These were house made, not the frozen pre-fab deals. He said they were great. My other son had the gourmet grill cheese which he polished off quickly. I had corned beef hash and eggs. This was one of the best I have ever had. This was moist, pulled corn beef with hardly any potato. As a matter of fact it came with hash browns which didn't make much sense until it arrived and I realized it was almost all corned beef.

Why not 5 stars? Service was a bit slow. We didn't order anything unusual but it seemed to take a while to get our food. Also, I don't have an issue with dated decor, but this place is dirty. A little cleaning would go a long way. That said, I would come back the next time I am in Indy just for the corned beef hash!

• Visited April 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Indianapolis
“Steer on by this diner!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

We've lived in Indy for 34 years and I've never eaten at the Steer-In. My husband, who has tried it once before, suggested it for lunch.

The diner is old, and the musty smell and stale decor instantly transport you back six decades when the restaurant first opened its doors.

I was surprised, as other reviewers have stated, when I saw that the Steer-In touted itself as being highlighted on Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives. I'm usually impressed with Guy Fieri's food critiques, but I could quickly see this was going to be an exception.

My husband chose the breaded tenderloin, which he liked and thought it lived up to the local hype he'd heard about the sandwich. His fries, however, were undercooked and small in portion.

I opted for the cheese quesadillas, which were nothing more than microwaved tortillas filled with oily cheese. They were served with sour cream and a runny salsa. I asked for guacamole, which appeared on the menu, and was told they didn't have any.

My 7-year-old ordered chicken tenders, which had to be sent back because they were burnt, and a side of macaroni and cheese. The second order of chicken wasn't much better; the breading was terrible. The mac and cheese looked like it needed to be cooked longer.

My 4-year-old was the wisest: he settled for a Sprite. My stomach and wallet wished I had gone with just a Sprite, too.

When we paid and the cashier asked how everything was, my husband told her that neither myself nor our daughter liked our food. She didn't offer to adjust our $25 bill. She just said, "Well, we like to get feedback." Oh believe me, I will certainly tell everyone I know!

After eating at this greasy spoon only once in my 34 years, indigestion with a side of nausea are the only things I've missed out on. And I most definitely won't be going back.

• Visited April 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Overcharged and Threatened”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

Went for breakfast and it was horrible. Hash browns were still frozen sausage gravy was out of a can and they overcharged me. Spoke to Barbara and we agreed that she would make a donation to a charity and I would match it and move on. A week after she said she mailed the check it hadn't arrived. I emailed to check on it and she became irate and told me not to contact her again. Then I received and Email from Charlie threatening to physically harm me. All this over $10. I think this shows their true colors and not their act for the TV show

• 1 of 5 stars Food
“Older place, needs alittle help”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

I see the potential, but if locals are happy go for it. Stopped by on business, 3 cops eating there so thought should be good. They had specials but we ordered of menu. Bro had pork fritter & I had a special burger. Good....

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Indianapolis, Indiana
“More than an hour!?!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

It took more than 75 minutes for 2 sandwich platters. No matter how good it might be this is simply unacceptable.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere