“Wonderful experience” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Wonderful experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

Please read all of the reviews on here and take the negative ones with a grain of salt...you can't please everyone all of time. I have been here several times...murder mystery dinner, wine and painting,jewelry making...and had a wonderful experience each time. Food is good and the hostess Karen is very informative, energetic and passionate about the house and Indianapolis. I will be attending another Murder Mystery dinner soon and the friends I'm going with are looking forward to it as I am.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

“A murder with dinner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

Attended our second mystery dinner at the Propylaeum and had a great time. We were seated at a table for eight which meant there were six people we did not know. But by the time the mystery was solved we were all laughing and friends. Dinner was five courses and very well prepared and presented. There was also a bar for those who wanted beer or wine. The setting is a nicely decorated Victorian mansion that may be toured before dinner. This was a very pleasant way to spend an evening!

Saint Simons Island, Georgia
“Unique bridal shower”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

For a wonderful bridal shower venue, try the Propylaeum tearoom. We thoroughly enjoyed the shower we held there for 25 women. Host Karen told us a bit about this beautiful house before she and Roger served afternoon tea, with lovely tiered trays of sweets and sandwiches, a cranberry refresher in a champagne flute, a strawberry salad and two kinds of herbal tea. Best bet are the scones with clotted cream. We took a picture of each guest in an area of the house she liked best and will put these photos into a memento album for the bride. It was a fun and unique time! By the way, the price was right!

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Indianapolis, Indiana
“See the home and skip the meal!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

This place is lovely, and would seem to be the perfect place to host an event, or enjoy a meal. Looks in this case are very deceiving. The food is bad, the wine worse, the service non-existant, and the caterer loud and rude. You will be promised one thing, given another, and offerred no apology or refund. There are wonderful places to eat all around the city, and your best bet is to choose another place that delivers what they promise at a fair price. Will never go back.

• Visited March 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
INDIANAPOLIS, IN
“Indy Tea Service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

My spouse and I had a rare day off together on Valentine's Day and decided tea would be a romantic way to celebrate. Indianapolis has few options for English style tea but the Propylaem does offer a serviceable version. You can arrange in advance if you want tea before the regular 3:00 time.
The Propylaem was bulit in the late 1800's and the decor reflect's it's era in the furnishings and antiques. The tea room has lace tablecloths, mismatched china cups, and there was a fresh pink vased tulip on each table when we were there. We heard one relunctant male accompany his wife into the "frilly" room with some trepidation. My spouse supplemented the dainty servings with a regular soup and sandwich order.
The servers were friendly but there were a few odd gaffes. Such as the server not removing the used plate from the charger before setting down my spouse's entree plate. This made an unweildy stack of three plates, not to mention the unused clotted cream from the second plate squished onto the bottom of the 3rd plate. Kind of strange from a place that offers etiquette lessons.
The tea comes with a non-alcholic cranberry spritzer (weak on the cranberry flavor), a small serving of greens with a raspberry vinegarette, tea sandwiches, scones, and bite size pastries. The sandwiches were cucumher with cream cheese on white bread, chicken salad on a mini pretzel-type roll, and what was supposed to be strawberry cream cheese on about an inch square of white bread. Neither we nor the party at the next table could detect any strawberry flavor and personally I think of cream cheese as more of a complement to a sandwich as opposed to a filler. I took the scones for chocolate cookie dough at first. The were so crumbly it was hard to spead the clotted cream on them but the flavor was fine.
Three teas come with the meal. The first was cherry which tasted like kid's cough syrup to me but I'm not a tea drinker. My spouse said the 2nd tea, "Snowflake", tasted of orange and cinnamon, while the last almond tea was his favorite.
My spouse also had the grilled cheese sandwich which he pronounced as good and the chicken velvet soup which both he and I found very flavorful, if a bit on the salty side. I think they may use the receipe from the old Ayres Tea room for this.
After the meal we roamed about the house on our own but could have taken a guided tour if we were so inclined. In all, not a bad way to celebrate a quiet Valentine's meal together.

• Visited February 2013