“Indy Tea Service” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
INDIANAPOLIS, IN
“Indy Tea Service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

My spouse and I had a rare day off together on Valentine's Day and decided tea would be a romantic way to celebrate. Indianapolis has few options for English style tea but the Propylaem does offer a serviceable version. You can arrange in advance if you want tea before the regular 3:00 time.
The Propylaem was bulit in the late 1800's and the decor reflect's it's era in the furnishings and antiques. The tea room has lace tablecloths, mismatched china cups, and there was a fresh pink vased tulip on each table when we were there. We heard one relunctant male accompany his wife into the "frilly" room with some trepidation. My spouse supplemented the dainty servings with a regular soup and sandwich order.
The servers were friendly but there were a few odd gaffes. Such as the server not removing the used plate from the charger before setting down my spouse's entree plate. This made an unweildy stack of three plates, not to mention the unused clotted cream from the second plate squished onto the bottom of the 3rd plate. Kind of strange from a place that offers etiquette lessons.
The tea comes with a non-alcholic cranberry spritzer (weak on the cranberry flavor), a small serving of greens with a raspberry vinegarette, tea sandwiches, scones, and bite size pastries. The sandwiches were cucumher with cream cheese on white bread, chicken salad on a mini pretzel-type roll, and what was supposed to be strawberry cream cheese on about an inch square of white bread. Neither we nor the party at the next table could detect any strawberry flavor and personally I think of cream cheese as more of a complement to a sandwich as opposed to a filler. I took the scones for chocolate cookie dough at first. The were so crumbly it was hard to spead the clotted cream on them but the flavor was fine.
Three teas come with the meal. The first was cherry which tasted like kid's cough syrup to me but I'm not a tea drinker. My spouse said the 2nd tea, "Snowflake", tasted of orange and cinnamon, while the last almond tea was his favorite.
My spouse also had the grilled cheese sandwich which he pronounced as good and the chicken velvet soup which both he and I found very flavorful, if a bit on the salty side. I think they may use the receipe from the old Ayres Tea room for this.
After the meal we roamed about the house on our own but could have taken a guided tour if we were so inclined. In all, not a bad way to celebrate a quiet Valentine's meal together.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Indianapolis, Indiana
“Disappointing”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

We attended the "Breakfast With Santa" today. This is a beautiful house and we enjoyed the opportunity to take a tour. Santa was really great too. The food was really bad. How do you mess up breakfast? The worst part was the lecture from the woman in charge about etiquette and sharing. It sounded negative rather than helpful and was out of line. They missed an opportunity to have a really fun and successful event.

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Greenwood, Indiana
“Highly Disappointing”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

Went last night to our first Murder Mystery Dinner. I was disappointed because the food was cold and tasteless and the noise level was so bad we could not hear one another converse. The room was stuffed with too many tables and you could hardly move without hitting someones chair. No actors and was not entertaining in the least. The one highlight was "leaving the place"!

• Visited August 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Indy
“Most enjoyable!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

Do not let the negative reviews keep you away. We had two couples. All four of us enjoyed the evening. This is a light hearted event that you have to relax and go with the flow to enjoy. It is not a Disney or true Broadway production. If that is what you demand then do not go. But do go if you want to have a fun evening of who-done-it entertainment. The old mansion is loaded with Indianapolis history and it brings back old memories. (Think push button light switches) You will get to know the others at your table and the food is good. Our only issue was how long it was so plan ahead for a full evening.

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Mystery Dinner was a blast!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

I bought 8 vouchers on Amazon Local for the Mystery Dinner to treat some of my employees. We had a wonderful time! I have read quite a few negative reviews and even though I would agree with some of the comments - it was loud and hard to hear the people at your table at times when we were reading the scripts, the food wasn't the BEST I've ever had at a restaurant - we had a GREAT time and I'm pretty sure all 8 of us would do it again. As a matter of fact, we are considering doing the Fondue 70s party in September. The staff all seemed very nice - one poor guy followed us all around to take pictures of us with THREE different cameras and never complained - he is studying to be a neurosurgeon (that's not your typical wait staff!). It is true that not all of the clues made sense (still don't know why one of us had a pet monkey!), but I feel sorry for people that feel the need to bash the whole experience because they didn't have the whole mystery explained at the end... My recommendation is to go with an attitude of having fun and being silly and you will enjoy every minute!

Visited June 2012