“Authentic Italian in a historic district” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Reservations
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Authentic Italian in a historic district”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

I have reviewed Amicis before, and I won't repeat myself. However, we have eaten there several times since my last review, and I continue to be amazed by those who claim that 1. the building is run down or dirty; 2. the service is terrible (or that "they don't care if you come back"), 3. the prices are too high, or 4. that the food is terrible. As regular customers, we go back on a regular basis because we have found NONE of those criticisms to be true. The building is 150 years old, and it shows; however, it has ALWAYS been clean. As I said in another review, if historic buildings are not for you, please do not go. There are plenty of pseudo-Italian restaurants with fake Roman ruins in brand new buildings. As for service, it has always been exceptional. Even after my first visit, years ago, they greeted me by name at the door! I haven't gotten that kind of personal treatment anywhere else in Indy. The prices are a bit higher than some of the competition, but they always have discounts available, making them very competitive . Contrary to the critics, I have found the food to be delicious. The owner is Italian, and his interpretation is different from that of the chains. That's a big plus for those of us who prefer creative chefs rather than boilerplate. One reviewer claimed that there was an "overpowering taste of cinnamon" in every entree. I beg to differ. There is a subtle taste of cinnamon in one dish that I know of, but that relates to my point about creativity. It's very simple: don't go there if you want a new building and a standardized menu. But if you value great service and the ambiance of a historic building in a historic neighborhood, this is for you. Just don't criticize Amici's for not being something that a. they do not claim to be, and b. they have no desire to be. Their regular customers agree wholeheartedly!

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Indianapolis, Indiana
“Would Not Go Back”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

We had been to Amici's several years ago and decided since it was a Groupon we would give it another shot. Big mistake. The place is extremely dirty. I understand what ambiance is, but this is pure neglect. Our food was not good. There were four of us and we had different entrees. There was an overpowering taste of cinnamon, which I am very fond of, just not in my Italian entree! We were a bit concerned that the table next to us who had 8 people did not eat the majority of their food. They also had an issue at the table that apparently did not get resolved by the manager, as they left very unhappy. We expressed our dislike of the weird combination of cinnamon in all entrees (almost like hiding/disguising something!) but the response from our server let us know that they really didn't care whether we like it or not.
DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME OR YOUR MONEY!!!

• Visited August 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Indianapolis
“Terrible Service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

Tried to make a reservation and they are closed on Mondays. Showed up on Tuesday and there was a sign on the door saying you must have a reservation. Inside there were 2 customers only. When asked if we could just sit outside the response was no as they had limited food and it was for people with reservations only. What? Just very dissapointed and suprised at the response of the employee.

• Visited June 2012
Fishers, Indiana
“Amici's”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

I thought for a moment that I was dining in a friend's home in Italy as my wife and I sat and enjoyed our dinner. The sausage lasagna that I selected was very good, yet my fork continued to wander to my wife's plate of linguine that the chef had specially prepared for her.

Overall, a very enjoyable experience.

• Visited June 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Carlisle, Indiana
“Don't waste you money.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

The building is old and paint peeling with an interior that reminds you more of a Mexican restaurant. The entire place needs cleaned. The food was just "OK" but nothing special. We won't be back.

• Visited April 2012