“Love the view!” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Rick's Cafe Boatyard is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #96 of 1,921 Restaurants in Indianapolis
Good for: Scenic view, Doing business, Romantic, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 38th Street
Bloomington, Illinois
“Love the view!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2014

I went to Ricks at the recommendation of a co-worker. I didn't know what to expect, but I was pleasantly surprised. The ambiance of this place is great. It could be on the east coast shoreline, but it isn't! The staff was friendly and did their job well.

I went for lunch, and had the chicken and sausage gumbo and 1/2 of the club. The gumbo was delish! The club...eh. It was okay. BUT THERE IS MORE! We had the fried calamari appetizer and it was probably the best I've ever eaten -- EVER. I'd go back just for that calamari. It was really good!

I want to go there again for dinner. I really enjoyed this experience!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

“Sunday brunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2014

This review is for Sunday brunch. We chose inside seating and were seated along the windows giving a nice view. However, the air conditioning vents are all along that window ledge, so it was uncomfortable with air blowing on us. The brunch menu ranges from 8 to 14 dollars. I have always ordered the Chesapeake crab cake with poached egg on top. The server brought me the egg/Canadian bacon souffle by mistake, so I tried it also. Both items were tasty and the poached egg on my crab cake was poached to perfection. This was my third visit and so far, the service has been pretty good. I think I will be going back to try the salmon on the brunch menu.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Eat in the Carolina's in Indy!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014 via mobile

This truly looks and feels like you're on the beach in Hilton head or somewhere in the Carolina's. Awesome outdoor patio and a great live music ambiance. It is a bit pricey, but for the view and experience, it's worth a nice night out. We had the trout pate which was very good, the crab cake sand which which really could have been shared it so big, and the creole filet with crab cake which the filet had excellent flavor and the crab cake was wonderful too, and I'm a steak guy.

We took the little kids and with so much going on they were kept busy at the table and had a nice meal out with us. Will go back again and tell others about our great dinner. Service was also very good and the food came out very quick, which was great with small kids.

Visited August 2014
Northwest Illinois
“Nice location for lunch on the deck”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

Had a nice lunch on the deck overlooking Eagle Creek Reservoir on a beautiful Thursday afternoon. Lunch options range from $10-14. Two of us had the fish and chips which were good (yummy fries) and daughter had the tuna melt (looked and was very delicious), and one had seafood pasta. Generous portions. Beautiful views watching sailboats cruising around in the sunshine. We had good service, but it wasn't busy at all at 2:30 p.m. in the afternoon. I know others have struggled with service at times.

I would go again for the ambience and the food but try something else on the menu.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Wonderful View of Reservoir”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014 via mobile

...but the food is overpriced and just okay. If you are going to pay over $30, you want great! When did Rick's start catering to older clients? Where was the young crowd?

Tonight's experience included a fun Motown review band and breezy weather. The views from the deck would have been enhanced if there were not so many tables and stools crowded together. Besides they need scouring as the white tables and stools are riddled with mold stains.

Servers had difficulty delivering correct orders to their customers. We were approached by a gal who said she was a representative for a liquor company and did we want to try her product. No clothing nor badge identity but she kept working on some small electronic device (not a phone) that she held in front of her. Felt odd. She did not stay long at Rick's.

On the plus side, there is valet parking and a little cart to carry customers to and from their far away parked vehicles.

Visited July 2014