“Deja-vu back in the Groove” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Acapulco Joe's Mexican Foods

Acapulco Joe's Mexican Foods
365 N Illinois St, Indianapolis, IN 46204-1732 (Downtown Indianapolis)
+1 317-637-5160
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Acapulco Joe's Mexican Foods is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,157 of 2,080 Restaurants in Indianapolis
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown Indianapolis
Description: Spicier than a Habanero pepper is our passion for great Mexican food. Despite having a deep love for the cuisine, simply cooking and eating it wasn't enough for us, and after becoming master chefs, all we wanted to do was share our food. Acapulco Joe's was established out of a desire to share. Since opening more than 50 years ago, we striven to bring the best of Mexican cuisine to all those who have been willing to try it. That's why we're Indianapolis' first Mexican Restaurant, we wanted to expose the north to the cuisine of the South. Within Mexican cuisine, we specialize in cuisine from the Western Coast. We're different from the average Mexican Restaurant, with everything from the way we prepare our food to the spices we source for authenticity. We invite you to come take that first bite and forget where in the world you are for a meal, let us take you on a culinary journey through Mexico.
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Deja-vu back in the Groove”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

I had the pleasure of dining at Joe's yesterday and it was a deja vu experience of the glory of the past. The past when all items on the menu were prepared fresh and hot and anticipated by the palate. I left very pleased with the experience and will be. The owner Grant is quite pleasant and friendly as were the staff I ecountered. I consider the amount of quality food I received a great value.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Midwest
“An Indianapolis Institution--3 1/2 Stars”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

We had lunch at Joe's on a Saturday afternoon in August. The food was delicious and the portions were generous.

One member of our party declared that the salsa was the best she had ever tasted. The warm chips did not disappoint.

Our food took a long time to arrive, but it had to be an isolated glitch because other diners were getting their food promptly.

There is nothing fancy about Joe's, so don't expect to be wowed by the atmosphere, but be prepared to leave full and happy!

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Los Angeles, California
“Not the real deal”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

This restaurant is full of character. In the back of the menu it has the story of how the owner migrated from Mexico, came about the restaurant and became a US citizen. The service was good but the food was not as good. The chips were hard and the salsa was very watery. I believe the food was made to adapt to the taste of the area so it diverted from its authentic Mexican flavor.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Bloomington, Illinois
“Good food and reasonable prices”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

I met my daughter in Indy at Acapulco Joes. We choose this place because it is close to her apartment and we both like Mexican food. The food was very good as was the service. The portions were large and we both had leftovers to take home. I will definitely return.

Visited July 2013
Indianapolis, IN
“Heavy, Greasy Midwest Food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

I know this is a popular restaurant, but I find the food really unappealing. It's a Hoosier version of "Mexican" food, that is so heavy and running with oil and grease that the one time I ate there, I felt ill for a good 24 hours. And if the food is that greasy, imagine the interior of the restaurant --the entire place could use a really good cleaning.