“Haah Chihuaua!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Acapulco Joe's Mexican Foods

Acapulco Joe's Mexican Foods
365 N Illinois St, Indianapolis, IN 46204-1732 (Downtown Indianapolis)
+1 317-637-5160
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Acapulco Joe's Mexican Foods is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #978 of 2,028 Restaurants in Indianapolis
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown Indianapolis
Description: Spicier than a Habanero pepper is our passion for great Mexican food. Despite having a deep love for the cuisine, simply cooking and eating it wasn't enough for us, and after becoming master chefs, all we wanted to do was share our food. Acapulco Joe's was established out of a desire to share. Since opening more than 50 years ago, we striven to bring the best of Mexican cuisine to all those who have been willing to try it. That's why we're Indianapolis' first Mexican Restaurant, we wanted to expose the north to the cuisine of the South. Within Mexican cuisine, we specialize in cuisine from the Western Coast. We're different from the average Mexican Restaurant, with everything from the way we prepare our food to the spices we source for authenticity. We invite you to come take that first bite and forget where in the world you are for a meal, let us take you on a culinary journey through Mexico.
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Haah Chihuaua!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

Iused to go here all the time, but a trip to the ladies' room after enjoying a rather delicious meal was ruined when I heard a dog bark coming from the kitchen.

Lyles, Tennessee
“Worst Mexican food EVER!!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012 via mobile

PROS: Convenient downtown location, the cheese quesadilla was good, our waitress Maleah was good

CONS: The rice tasted like the Old El Paso microwavable rice and it was absolutely horrible, the salsa is on the table in a freaking squeeze bottle which iis really gross when you think about how many hands have touched that bottle .... YUCK! Also the chips were not even chip they were bake taco shellls that were broken in half. The decor was severly dated and it looked generally dirty. I will never ever go back or refer my dog to eat here. I will not be surpised if I get food poisioning.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Didn't know you could do it, but quite bad cheap Mexican food.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

went here with a Groupon, & still wish we hadn't. The food was terrible, bland, & took forever to get service. Even the drinks weren't good. How can you mess up cheap, easy Mexican food??

Visited October 2011
Jamestown, Indiana
“old times remembered”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

We have been going to Joe's for over 35 years (even in the old building with Joe). People either love or hate, Joe's. If your looking of new shiny Americanized Mexican food your out of luck. Joe's is located in an old building with bare wooden floors (its just an old time restaurant). The salsa is good, just hot enough to make it interesting (served in a squeeze ketchup container to stop double dipping). I recommend the Burrito or the deluxe dinner. If they aren't out of chili rellenos get them. The have meat and are deep fried, great taste. We have tried Mexican restaurants across the country, some have better salsa and some have a better special but for day in and day out you cannot beat Joe's.

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Cape Coral, Florida
“If I could give it zero stars, I would!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

1) Our waitress never smiled, not once.
2) Salsa in a squeeze bottle should be against the law. How many germs do you think are on those?! Ewwww. And the chips are like soft credit cards - might break a tooth crunchy
3) The food was flavorless, the cheese wasn't melted in the enchilada and they served my son what looked like 6 hour old kraft mac and cheese. Fries were what you get in the grocery store.
4) Terrible ambiance. Reminds me of an 80's Mexican restaurant.

It was so bad that the waitress saw my disgust and took my food off our bill after I told her it was really bad.
People: do not accept paying for bad food! Send it back or get a refund and tell the manager how bad it is. I will NEVER go back.

• Visited July 2012