“Had to Go There” 3 of 5 stars
Review of St. Elmo Steak House

St. Elmo Steak House
127 S. Illinois, Indianapolis, IN 46225 (Downtown Indianapolis)
(317) 635-0636
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
St. Elmo Steak House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 1,921 Restaurants in Indianapolis
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Doing business, Bar scene, Special occasions, Entertaining clients, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Dessert, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown Indianapolis
Cross street: Maryland
NJ
“Had to Go There”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2010

Years ago, when I attended many Indy 500s, there was always talk of the legendary St Elmos. Last week, at a convention in Indy w/ my wife, we felt we had to go. Shared dinner w/ another couple.

Atmosphere has that old 30s-50s feel. Lotsa wood paneling, which my wife referred to as "Man Cave-like".

Shrimp cocktail was a spicy hot, but good.

I had the Porterhouse, which had a little too much marble for my tastes. Wife felt the same for her strip steak. Without sounding snobby, we've had better.

Waiter was very good.

I came away feeling that it was a "bucket list" experience, but I would have liked to have dined at the some other steakhouses in Indy for comparison.

$150 for the two of us, BTW, including dessert & drinks.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Indpls
“I'll Pass”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2010

A tip....order a shrimp cocktail. Enjoy. Then head over to Moe's for a good steak. St. Elmo's may have the "name" but, Moe's has the steaks.

“Traditional Steak Joint”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2010

Great cuts of aged beef, nothing fancy - but it always delivers. Service is attentive and professional. They are famous for their shrimp cocktail -- spicy! It's a masculine restaurant, has a great vibe, a huge wine list and if you love an independent steakhouse like I do, this place is for you.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Midwest
“Waaaay Overpriced, Shrimp Are Good.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2010

They make a big deal of dry-aged steaks, and the waiters are dressed up with white gloves, but if you ignore that hype, the food is just NOT worthy of this level of expense. Wife had the shrimp appetizer (very good) and the seafood mac-n-cheese which must have used old lobster. Daughter had shrimp appetizer (very good) and surf-n-turf with 'medium well' steak which was bloody and raw instead of pink. The lobster just had a bad taste and was tough. I had shrimp appetizer (yep, good again) and filet mignon, which was cooked to a nice pink color and was very good. With wine and tip (no dessert), we were close to $300. For that, we would expect everything to be pretty good! I'd still recommend it, but be careful what you order.
I hope they are not entering that phase of restaurants where they live mostly on their past reputation.

Brownsburg, Indiana
“Not the premium experience you'd expect”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2010

My husband and I went to St. Elmo's for a special night out.

The visit started off well as our coats were checked immediately and the hostess whisked us off to our table, which was set for four. The bus boy came and removed one setting and gave us each water.

The wine list was on the table, and I began perusing it. After a short wait, the waiter appeared and handed us menus. He noticed the extra place setting, but was quite awkward in removing it. He asked if we had dined here before. My husband said I had but he hadn't. The waiter then gave us a short patter that seemed to imply that we should already know everything about the restaurant. We ordered two shrimp cocktails, and the waiter kept acting like he almost didn't want to serve them to us. It was strange. We also ordered two drinks.

After we finished the shrimp cocktails (I love the strong horseradish), there was quite a long break before the waiter came to take our order. We asked for a 14-oz. steak to share. The waiter didn't prompt us to order any sides or salad, so we forgot to ask for mushrooms. When he came back with wineglasses, we requested mushrooms, and he said it would be no problem. (We didn't get any mushrooms).

When the steak came, they had not put it on two plates. We did that ourselves. We didn't see our waiter then for quite a long while, so were not able to request the mushrooms.

We eventually had dessert and coffee, but were not able to get refills on our coffee. We had exact change for the bill, and left before our waiter came back to collect the tab. Overall, not the premium service we expect when the tab is $200 for two people with tip.

The steak was great--cooked perfectly and we enjoyed the dessert. The wine we ordered was also very good at a reasonable price.