“Amazing Good, Wonderful Server and Bartender - Horrid Hostess” 3 of 5 stars
Review of St. Elmo Steak House

St. Elmo Steak House
127 S. Illinois, Indianapolis, IN 46225 (Downtown Indianapolis)
(317) 635-0636
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
St. Elmo Steak House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 2,029 Restaurants in Indianapolis
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown Indianapolis
Cross street: Maryland
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Amazing Good, Wonderful Server and Bartender - Horrid Hostess”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Two friends and I were in town on business and visited this restaurant on a whim from the bartender at the local JW Marriott on November 7th at 7pm. She said we should stop in have the Shrimp Cocktail and a drink and then head over to Mo's where the atmosphere was a little more laid back - so we did. After entering the restaurant and ordering a drink with shrimp cocktail (and pause, the shrimp cocktail is amazing) we decided we were going to stay for dinner. I proceeded to the hostess stand where a straight haired blonde lady stood and I inquired to the time of a table. She looked at me with the most disgust on her face and tone of voice, as if how dare I not make reservations at this restaurant. To say the least, I was highly offended - and it pretty much ruined my night until we were lucky enough to get a table in the bar area from some nice gentlemen leaving. It got even better when we had the most personable server, Melissa - she did a great job and was so pleasant and enjoyable to talk to. The service was truly extraordinary. When we left, Melissa even chased me down because I had left my credit card. I

The only hard thing about writing this review is that I would have loved to have rated it 5 stars, but that crazy hostess ruined it for this restaurant.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Indianapolis, Indiana
“Not impressed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Did not like sitting on top of other people and feeling like I was sharing a table with strangers. Not an intimate environment at all. Prefer Ruth Chris over this place.

Portland, Maine
“Great food, great service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

I went here by myself while in Indianapolis on business. The staff was extremely accomodating from the minute I walked through the door. I ate at a small table in the bar, with the bartender as a server and he was phenomenal. When I arrived, it was early so he was not busy, but by the time I left, he was hopping, but he never neglected me in the slightest. I had the shrimp cocktail since that's what they are famous for and it did not disappoint. If you have a head cold, go to St. Elmos and have the shrimp cocktail. The sauce will clear those sinuses right up. But it was AMAZING! Rather than have a full meal, I had the tenderloin chops appetizer and it was wonderful. Perfectly seasoned and cooked.....it was spectacular. Couple this spectacular dining experience with a couple of glasses of fine wine, and you have a winning evening. If you go to Indianapolis.....don't walk, RUN to St. Elmo's and you won't be disappointed. Worth every penny.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Cleveland, Ohio
“Great steaks!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Decided to try St. Elmo's on a recent trip to Indy while in town to catch the Browns/Colts game. I had heard many good reviews and I was not disappointed! Service was excellent with the waiters all wearing suits and bowties. Food was great! I ordered from their special Sunday menu, which was a great deal! I had the shrimp cocktail, filet, potatoes, green beans and cheesecake all for $35! This is an awesome deal, being the the filet itself is normally over $35 without any sides. Will definitely return if visiting Indianapolis again!

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Indiana
“Excellent Steak!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We each had the filet and they were both done to perfection!! Very tender and tasty. The only complaint that I would have is that we asked our waiter to recommend a nice wine in the $40 - $50 price range and the one that we got tasted like an $8 bottle of wine. I know that there is a huge mark up on wine but I guess I expected more. They do have an extensive wine list so I guess if you want a flavorful wine you will have to spend more than that. I would definitely go back and just order something else to drink.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere