“A fun evening” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Rathskeller

The Rathskeller
401 E Michigan St, Indianapolis, IN 46204 (Downtown Indianapolis)
317-636-0396
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #85 of 2,028 Restaurants in Indianapolis
Cuisines: American, German, Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Bar scene, Large groups, Doing business, Outdoor seating, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: Downtown Indianapolis
Dallas, TX
“A fun evening”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

We went to the Rathskeller for dinner and although we had reservations to eat in the restaurant, we decided to eat in the more open bar area instead. I had the schnitzel which was very good and my boyfriend had the mixed wurst plate (mixed sausages with kraut and potatoes). His food was very good as well. The restaurant was pretty quiet on a Wednesday night. Our waitress seemed as if she was having a bad day at first but once we started talking to her she warmed up a lot.

After dinner, we adjourned upstairs to the beer garden where a local band was playing. We loved the atmosphere of the beer garden. There was a large stage and lots of picnic tables set up to sit around and watch the performance. Full bars serving pub type food were open as well. My only complaint is that it closed so early (10p). We would have enjoyed staying a bit longer.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Dunlap, Illinois
“Delicious”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

If you enjoy good German food I highly recommend the Rathskeller. They have a variety of German dishes along with other options for the less adventurous. You will need a reservation if you want to eat in the dining room, which I recommend. I got the Rouladen and was surprised by how large the rolls were. You get a lot of food for your money, but beware it is on the expensive side. My fiance had the stuffed filet and said it was good as well. There is also a great beer and wine selection to accompany your meal. If you love a good meal the Rathskeller is a must.

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Bradley, Illinois
“Historical German Atmosphere”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

Let me first say that I am willing to give this place another chance. We came in on a Tuesday evening for a night cap. This place is so full of German history and I would love to see more of it when I'm not getting the stare down from the staff. Three of us came in and went into the bar area. There were a few patrons in there and they all immediately turn to look at us and I felt instantly unwelcomed by the staff and customers. They seemed be having a problem on who would take our drink order. We asked what they recommended and tried to make small talk but they wouldn't even crack a smile. I felt like the new kid in class. So in the mean time I walk down the bar which leads into a dinning area to look at all the historic artifacts. Its really interesting in there. So I wander back to show my husband what I had just seen. As I turn to take him back there someone came in and blocked off the area. I had been given the stink-eye while I was down there. I wasn't touching anything or hurting anyone. You couldn't help but feel unwelcomed is all I can say. That is why I say I will give this place one more chance. I know people have bad days, but the whole staff???? They need to learn to loosen up. So finally I hear my Son say 3 drafts of something and I hear the guy that finally stepped up to help say "that will be $27." OMG TWENTY SEVEN DOLLARS FOR THREE DRAFT BEERS!! I about fainted. But I will say these were HUGE and they were good and cold. So yes it was $9 a beer but you got a lot. We decided since we didn't feel too comfortable in there to go outside. Its a large area and a corporate party was going on. Its a lot gravel and an area of picnic tables. There is a couple of bars out there along with a band shell. Pretty cool! We were unfortunately in the view of two couples. You could tell they had way too much to drink and I so wanted to yell "GET A ROOM!!" She was straddling this older guy and while I am no where near being a prude....that was disgusting. This is a family app so I wont share it all. I would really like to eat there. Maybe next time I'm in Indy. Oh I only give Atmosphere an average based on the unwelcomed feeling. Otherwise the surrounding of artifacts is Excellent.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Mixed review”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013 via mobile

My staff and I were on an out of the office planning day. For lunch I took them to Rathskeller. We all loved the warm pretzel and spicy mustard appetizer. My pork loin sandwich with German potato salad was excellent. However two on my staff ordered brats and they were both disappointed...said that the brats were not flavorful, but bland. Another staffer had the Rueben and enjoyed it. Desserts were a hit...apple streudel and Black Forest cake. I will be back - not sure about my staff.

Visited October 2013
Rockford, Illinois
“Fun Business Event”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

We had a fairly large group attend the Rathskeller for a social business event. We had a great time and the staff was attentive. The food was good and was served buffet style. The private room we were in was upstairs and there was a museum-like series of historical information explaining the German influence on early Indianapolis. Very interesting - you've heard of the 49ers, but look for the poster explaining about the 48ers!

• Visited October 2013