“Great Japanese Cuisine” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Noblesville, Indiana, United States
“Great Japanese Cuisine”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

Good food, good service, easy to get to. Small, quiet restaurant.

Visited June 2011

Orlando, Florida
“Traditional Japanese food, best in Indy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

Most Japanese restaurants these days specialize in Sushi and/or Teppan or have merged into one of those new-fangled Asian conglomerate restaurants that also serve Chinese, Vietnamese and Korean food. Sakura has sushi, but it also maintains a good selection of other Japanese dishes.

Went there very early on Mother's Day and was lucky enough to get a table without reservations or a wait. The hostess and server were very friendly (maybe because I am Asian?)

We had the usual edamame plus deep fried soft-shelled crab as appetizers. The crab was crispy and juicy and a generous portion to share. Salads that came with the meals were nothing special. The Miso soup was good.

Most places don't have Donburi on their menu but Sakura does! I had a big bowl of Una Don (rice and barbequed eel); it was tender and flavorful. Heaven! My dining companions had Tempura Sobe and Yaki Udon which they seemed to enjoy, too.

We came on the recommendation of my son's co-worker and I am happy to pass that recommendation on in TripAdvisor.

• Visited May 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Indianapolis, IN
“Great sushi for Indy!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

Our family was able to walk right in on a Saturday night and get a table. After reading other reviews, most weekends there must be a wait. The green salad was a nice surprise! It was larger than most side salads and is served with avocado in it. The spicy mayo dressing was very good. That was the highlight of the evening. The spicy Texas Roll was our favorite sushi of the six that we ordered. The service was good but not great, we did have to ask for forks for our salad after waiting several minutes. Indy doesn't have a lot of sushi bars, so considering that, this place is really good compared to what is in the area. We will go back, next time will will sit at the sushi bar and watch the three sushi chefs!

• Visited May 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Great Meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012 via mobile

Sakura was very good. Their sushi was delicious and tasty. The only thing with Sakura is that you need a reservation on weekends because it fills up quick!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Klamath Falls, Oregon
“Best??? Not even good for me.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2012

I am in Indianapolis for a conference and arrived at the start of Saturday dinner service. However, while the staff was Japanese-speaking, there was no "Irashaimase" in word or vibe. I had sake sashimi, unagi nigiri, and for testing, the "Hoosier Roll" which by description was spicy tuna with avocado (roll failed my "don't blow off the customer" test - it had very little tuna and oddly was not spicy). The sake was ample and fresh but not very oily. The unagi was in correct proportion but not broiled or sauced adequately. In addition, I had the shogayaki, which came with soup OR salad. Well, if I only get miso shiru, wouldn't a little tsukemono be nice? Apparently these folks don't agree. The miso was good, though. In fairness, the shogayaki description did say loin and though I hesitated, ordered anyway. Well, even with lean pork, I would expect a little more inspiration to avoid the "shaved leather" result which this dish achieved. My server and her service was great. However, when I got up to leave, the hostess looked at me in the eye and did not even offer a "Have a nice evening," or "Arigato gosaimasu!" Nothing; she just looked away. The experience ended as it began...sigh. As always, "best" is in the tongue of the taster and very relative. For $42, this was not a good value or even good for me. While not bad, it was average at best. I will not be returning.

• Visited March 2012