“Very Cool Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Alexander

You added The Alexander to your Saves list
The Alexander
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   333 S. Delaware Street, Indianapolis, IN 46204 (Downtown Indianapolis)   |
Ranked #4 of 183 Hotels in Indianapolis
GreenLeadersSilver level
Indianapolis
“Very Cool Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

The Alexander was pretty unique from the moment you check in. Interesting lobby, and very modern rooms - liked the use of key card to turn on lights. Comfortable rooms, although shower pressure lower than I would have liked. Room prices vary greatly by night, but we stayed on weekend when there was no Colts game, so thought was very good value. Location is good, although it was cold and snowy the night we were there and it was a little bit too far from downtown restaraunts to walk, but on a nice day, it wouldn't be a bad walk.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Michelle D, Guest Relations Manager at The Alexander, responded to this review, January 25, 2014
David O,

Thank you so much for coming to visit us! I greatly appreciate you taking the time to write about your experience. The Alexander was designed with the purpose to be a unique and inspiring hotel for our guests. I'm glad that you enjoyed the energy efficient lighting system we have and the modern design of the rooms. I do apologize for the issue with the water pressure. Please feel free to contact me directly so we can ensure we get this fixed for the future. Thanks again, and we look forward to seeing you back!

317-624-8224

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

The Alexander was the absolutely beautiful and relaxing hotel. What a gem that Indianapolis has! We enjoyed our 3-nights stay thoroughly. First, I must commend to the Guest Service/front desk staff, who greeted us with big smiles every time we pass by. They are very courteous, helpful, and friendly who started our stay at the Alexander pleasantly and showed no change of that during our stay. Second, the art exhibits and furnishings in the hotel lobby, at the restaurant, our room, and throughout hotels (even in the parking garage) were worth taking time to admire (which we did). The lobby is spacious and furnished with comfortable sofas and chairs with a fireplace. Amazing works of a few artists are gorgeously displayed while you can sit and relax there. Flipping pages of the magazines in one of sofas/chairs was also an option to relax. I spent a couple hours reading sitting on a large comfortable chair situated in a sunny hallway with a cup of Tea Forte in my hand (courtesy of the hotel). My daughter and I were in Indianapolis attending an event at the IUPUI Natatorium. We were looking to stay in a hotel closer to the IUPUI campus and we happened to find the Alexander. The price of other hotels near IUPUI and in downtown was more than I was willing to spend. The location of the Alexander was perfect to avoid staying in the hotels with others in the same venue and steering away from a large crowd in the other venue at the Convention Center in downtown. We were also able to avoid waiting in a line for our meals by going to the Market Table in the hotel. Not only we were seated right away but we had a scrumptious buffet-style brunch in relaxed and quiet atmosphere without waiting! Staff at the restaurant was very attentive, courteous, and knowledgeable. We were impressed with variety of items available there not to mention their taste. My daughter’s request for breakfast items (omelet bar and brioche French toast made upon request) was welcomed as we walked into the restaurant around 12:30pm. Importantly, price of the brunch was very reasonable comparing to those at other hotels in major cities. We tend to encounter similar noise problems in hallways, neighboring rooms, slamming doors, elevator chimes, or vacuuming from housekeeping even in so-called upper scale hotels. Yet, the Alexander provided us very comfortable stay assuring quiet nap during afternoon and sleep at night. Our room furnishing was simple and modern but functional in a spacious room with 2 queen-size beds. Comfortable and clean bedding assured us sound sleep in addition to superior sound proofing as mentioned above. Although entire one side of our room was a huge window showcasing panoramic city-view from the 6th floor, the double roller shades completely shut out sunlight assuring our beauty rest during day and early morning. Housekeeping staff was very accommodating to our needs not to disrupt my daughter's nap in the afternoon. Room service was excellent using local items/ingredients as with the brunch. The food was delivered correctly and on timely manner. The staff was again very courteous. As for parking, valet parking and self-parking were available. Since we are in and out a multiple times a day, we chose to use self-parking. There was a bridge to an adjacent parking garage from a hotel. It was an easy access in and out of the garage with a room key. The stay in another hotel would have been one more monotonous cookie-cutter stay for us while we were driving back and forth a few times a day and while we were canned in a boring hotel room' It was not the case at the Alexander. The Alexander surpassed our expectations and pleasantly surprised us in every aspect of our stay. We definitely recommend this hotel. We can’t wait for another opportunity to visit Indy and stay at the Alexander.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
HToyama,

Wow! I can't thank you enough for your great review and comments about the hotel. Your detailed account of your 3 night stay is so appreciated and will be shared with our entire staff! I'm so glad that you were able to find time to really delve into all of the artwork and also spend some time relaxing in our public areas with your tea. On behalf of the entire staff, we would like to we thank you and we hope to see you again soon.

Indianapolis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

It was very nice stay. I stayed DELUXE CALIFORNIA KING which was clean, wide and comfortable. I liked the bed, mattress and soft pillows.Breakafast at the Market dining was really nice; there are so many varity of items to choose in a buffet style and every food was delicious.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Tomoko A,

Thank you for staying with us. I was happy to read that you enjoyed the room and the California King style beds we have. I hope the breakfast left you feeling nourished and ready for your day. We look forward to serving you again.

Cincinnati, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

We stayed here New Year's Eve after a Pacers game at the nearby Banker's Life Field House. When we checked in, the staff didn't bother to remind us that our package included parking and breakfast, or that they changed our accommodation to a higher priced room (even though I had called earlier in the day and was told that we were not getting the upgrade). The rooms are very nice and the hotel is absolutely stunning. But there was a wedding reception going on that basically blocked our access to the wing of the hotel where we were staying , which was awkward to say the least as we traipsed through. We checked out by calling the front desk - and asked for the bill to be emailed, which never happened. When looking through my credit card charges, I saw that I was overcharged almost $100 from the quoted rate. I called and found out about all the extra charges and what the package should have included. After two tries, I got them to remove the redundant parking charges and restore the originally quoted rate, but I will never see those breakfasts. It's great to be chic and trendy, but if you can't administer a one night hotel package with parking and breakfast included, it's time to do some serious training.

Room Tip: The one bedroom suite with kitchenette is very nice.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
CinVinman,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your experience with The Alexander hotel. I can assure you, what you experienced with the room package and billing issues is not typical of our service. I would love to speak with you further about it when you have a moment. Please feel free to contact me at 317-624-8224 or via email at michelle.dollens@dolce.com.

On behalf of the entire staff, we do hope that you try us again so we can show you the type of service that we strive for with Dolce Hotels.

Danbury, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

This was my second stay here. When I first stayed here the hotel was brand new. The art is amazing. I found myself walking around just looking at the artwork and installations. My room this time was wonderful, some nice rugs were added compared to my first visit. Very reliable free internet access. Staff was very nice. The bar is excellent.
I recommend to have your bill printed at the end and not have it sent to your e-mail. I had an issue with the bill both times that then had to be resolved from afar. But that small glitch does not diminish my overall experience staying here.

girbit,

Thank you so much for coming back to stay with us again. It is always great to hear that our guests are noticing and appreciate the changes that we have made in our first year. The carpet runners in the room not only provide a bright, inviting walkway, but also dampen the sound from above which I see you noted in your first review. I sincerely apologize that you have had issues with your bill. I would be happy to speak with you about that so we can be sure this does not happen again in the future. I understand how important it is to have a clean bill for reimbursement purposes. Please feel free to contact me at 317-624-8228 or via email at michelle.dollens@dolce.com.

Look forward to seeing you again!

Redmond, WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

My husband, daughter and I stayed at The Alexander Hotel in the beginning of January 2014 for a two night stay. We ended up spending 5 nights in all due to the blizzard in Indianapolis. With that said, if I had to be stranded away from home, I can't imagine a better place to have been. This hotel is outstanding, it is beautiful, modern, full of interesting art, comfortable, great location and the staff was kind and helpful. They went beyond the call of duty to care for us and make our stay a pleasure. I would recommend this hotel to anyone planning a visit to Indianapolis. It was worth every penny. Also the breakfast was amazing and we spend most our time in the Plat 99 Lounge for drinks and food, which also hit the spot.

Katherine Redmond, WA

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
KKMMLL,

It was so great to have you here as well during the "snowpocalypse". Thank you so much for choosing The Alexander for your visit to Indy. We are sorry that you had to be stranded, but we also are glad that it was with us. Hopefully you can come back again when the weather is nicer and really get out and enjoy the city as well as the hotel!

Gosport, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

My niece and I stayed during the "blizzard of 2014". Our accommodations were top notch. My niece and I had to be downtown Monday morning and decided to arrive a day early due to the extreme snow and cold. First of all we were so glad to park in the garage attached to the hotel. The staff welcomed us and our check-in was fast. The room service was awesome, the bed extremely comfortable and the morning breakfast at the "Market" was amazing. My business meeting the next day was cancelled so I decided to extend my stay another night and rescheduled it for Tuesday. Again they gave us the "blizzard rate" of which was quite a deal. I was fortunate to spend the whole day at the hotel and enjoyed the art, visited with the staff and enjoyed our room. My niece and I were both pleasantly surprised and will be returning the next time we need to go downtown Indy again. You will not be disappointed if you get the chance to stay at The Alexander, Indianapolis. Thank you also to the wonderful staff, "you are the best".

Room Tip: Great view of Lucas Oil Stadium on the sixth floor.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Michelle D, Guest Relations Manager at The Alexander, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
marcia m,

I am so glad we were able to be your safe haven from the blizzard. Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your experience on Trip Advisor. Sometimes it's nice getting stuck due to a storm if you are in a good place! Glad that everyone made it home safely and we were able to create a memorable experience for you and your niece. Hope to see you back again!

The Alexander, A Dolce Hotel

Been to The Alexander? Share your experiences!