“Fantastic Getaway Weekend” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Alexander

Save Saved
You added The Alexander to your Saves list
The Alexander
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   333 S. Delaware Street, Indianapolis, IN 46204 (Downtown Indianapolis)   |
Ranked #2 of 185 hotels in Indianapolis
Muncie, Indiana
“Fantastic Getaway Weekend”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

I have admired The Alexander since its opening earlier this year, and at last had a reason to stay. Our experience was fabulous! Our corner suite had an amazing view of the cityscape, including Lucas Oil Stadium and other landmarks. Every creature comfort was anticipated, we wanted for nothing. The staff was courteous extremely helpful, from the first encounter with the gentlemen at the valet parking, to a warm reception by the lobby desk staff, and from the housekeeping personnel to the Platt 99 Mixologists & Market Buffet Chefs and attentive waiters. The Alexander -- and Indianapolis in general -- was a very welcoming and friendly place. As adults, we appreciated the "grown-up" ambiance and the general absence of the fussiness of small children in the hotel. We took in many of the local sights, from the holiday lighting of the Monument Circle, to a Blue Ribbon Carriage ride, a visit to the 'Matisse Paints the Town' exhibit at the Indianapolis Museum of Art, and a creative culinary treat at Mesh on Mass Ave., to name a few, everything was spectacular. To add to our delight, after being out for the day, we returned to find the hotel was decked out in holiday splendor. What a treat! Our object was to depressurize from previous weeks of stress and our mission was absolutely accomplished.

Room Tip: Corner king suite has floor to ceiling windows with great views.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Michelle D, Guest Relations Manager at The Alexander, responded to this review, January 4, 2014
AndrielsThoughts,

Thank you for visiting us at The Alexander and for taking the time to write a great 5 Star review on Trip Advisor! Sounds like you really did the full tour of downtown Indy and the hotel! What a fun trip to the city and to top it off with christmas lights upon return to the hotel. I was so glad to read your comments about each department of the hotel and how great of an experience they helped to provide for you. I do hope you enjoyed your holidays and look forward to seeing you again in the future.

301 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Denver
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed here twice now and not impressed. I know a lot of European colleagues like the hotel but I do not. Bar service is one of the slowest I have seen. I am here now and there are four people working and about fifteen people are here. It took 20 minutes to get a drink. I just don't get it. I have been here twice to stay and once for drinks and servers are not only slow but snotty. This ain't New York people.

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Jeanette49,

Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us again after your first trip. I do sincerely apologize for the flaws in service that you encountered with the bar and lack of bellmen available. I know that you have spoken with the bar manager, but I would love to hear your feedback personally. Please feel free to contact me at 317-624-8224.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the Alexander twice - so far. Looking forward to the third time. The room was modern, clean and spacious. I stayed in the regular room and the jr. suite. The staff went out of their way to be helpful. I appreciate the additional "perks" that were given to returning guests. For example, they had a nice plate of snacks and a bottle of wine waiting in the room. The hotel is gorgeous. I had breakfast at the Marketplace - fabulous for a "free" breakfast, and dinner at Cerulean. I am a frequent traveler and enjoyed The Alexander - a lot.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Lucianddesi,

Thank you so much for sharing your comments about your stay. We certainly appreciate your feedback and look forward to serving you again in the future.

Bloomington, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

Attended a wedding at the Alexander in November 2013. Service was great and the staff was very responsive to the guest needs. Rooms were big enough and the bathrooms were very clean. Very modern looking hotel. The front desk was a little slow but nothing to worry about.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Sycamore83,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your comments about your experience on Trip Advisor. We greatly appreciate your feedback and are glad to hear that you enjoyed your experience with the wedding. I do sincerely apologize however that you encountered a wait with the front desk staff. I would love to hear more about your experience so we can improve for the future. Please feel free to contact me directly at 317-624-8224.

Louisville, KY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

I went to the Alexander with a group of 10 people. We booked two two-room suites and a regular room. Despite our early arrival, the kind lady at the front desk checked us into our rooms (check-in is 3pm) and pointed us in the right direction.

While the regular rooms are nice, they are nothing special. However, the two-room suites were magnificent. The main room contained a nice kitchen (with full-sized fridge), a great flat-screen tv, a private balcony and a comfortable/contemporary living room area. Each of the two bedrooms was quite large and comfortably appointed. I was surprised (and delighted) to find a private bathroom in EACH bedroom. Very nice!

We walked around the hotel - enjoying the art and getting a feel for the hotel's layout. None of us had eaten anything yet that day, so we quickly set out to find lunch. Unfortunately, we arrived at the hotel just after 2pm and there is absolutely NOTHING to eat between 2pm and 5pm at The Alexander. (To be fair, the impatient guy at the front desk did recommend hors d'oeuvres at the bar... but that didn't open until late afternoon either.) Unless you're hungry for frozen yogurt or Qdoba, you won't even find a restaurant nearby! By the time we were done searching, I would have settled for a vending machine! Finally, after a great deal of hassle with the guy at the front desk (who clearly didn't want to recommend anything outside of the hotel property), we gave up and decided to order pizza. There were no pizza recommendations at The Alexander either... so we had to Google it. Thankfully, we found Hot Box Pizza and had a delicious meal delivered to our suite. If you are at the Alexander between 2-4pm, Hot Box is one of the ONLY places that will deliver to you. ...but they were excellent, so I highly recommend them!

After our concert at Banker's Life Fieldhouse, we came back to The Alexander in search of dinner. Sadly, we arrived at 11pm and - again - there is absolutely NOTHING open at The Alexander after 11. I called the front desk to ask about other delivery options, but nobody answered. I waited and called again - still no answer. Finally, I walked down there and they gave me a flyer for "Indy All Night" - a local pub food restaurant. We were starving, so we eagerly ordered and waited 1.5 hours for them to deliver our food (It was a busy night after the concert.). Finally, we were able to go to bed (around 2am).

(In fairness to the hotel, I should mention that they do have a room service option. During the day, the room service menu offers a ton of pricey options - $22 for a cheese burger, etc. However, after 11pm, they only offer "late night snacks" which does not include hot food.)

The next morning, several of our group went to breakfast at the café. It was also quite pricey for a buffet ($21 per person). The food was not very good - especially for the price - and several of us decided to walk down to a local coffee shop for crepes. I would highly recommend doing that.

On our way home, we each discussed our late-night experiences at The Alexander and the stories were pretty interesting. Two of our group were verbally assaulted by a woman who the Manager identified as "the daughter of the owner." (Apparently, she was so lost in her drunken stupor that she didn't find her gratuitous displays of affection with one of the other quests who - she admitted - was not her husband at all embarrassing. Two of our group wanted to spend some time at the bar (Plat99) after the concert, but they were promptly and rudely informed that the bar closes at midnight. ...and you've already heard about my dining troubles.

I will say that the hotel is gorgeous and the two-room suites are absolutely fantastic. The convention spaces are gorgeous and a couple people at the front desk were very helpful. The Alexander has tremendous potential, but they need better management and an entirely new catering scenario before I will give The Alexander 4 stars.

Room Tip: The two-room suites are very large and comfortable for 4 people.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
JamesDerbyCity,

Firstly, thank you so much for sharing your comments about your experience. I am glad that you enjoyed the two-bedroom suite. I would love to speak with you personally about your negative experience with the hotel and our dining options. Please feel free to contact me directly at 317-624-8224.

Brooklyn, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

I stayed on a Saturday night when two weddings were being celebrated. So I could hardly manage to find my way to the front desks, only to find that the staff was overwhelmed with giving directions to each wedding reception. I then figured the hotel's regular restaurants and wait staff would be overwhelmed as well, and asked for suggestions for a nearby restaurant. The suggestions rom the young lady (who kept calling me "my dear") were The Old Spaghetti Factory and the Cheesecake Factory. Really?? No plug for your own restaurants, no recommendations for other fine dining establishments comparable to the stature of your hotel? Also, when I needed help with directions, the staff assumed that I knew all the streets around and rattled off turn east and west. Please ask them to slow down so that we poor out-of-towners can absorb the information!

The room was comfortable, but frankly, I found the bed to be so cushiony I could hardly turn over. I also wasn't thrilled that the shades had pinholes so that I enjoyed the lights from the parking lot across the street all night.

The art in the lobby was great and it would have been fun to sit in the bar, but after a delightful meal from the restaurant that I found for myself on Open Table, I retreated to the room.

I wanted to enjoy the best of Indianapolis, but I'm not sure I found it.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Connie T,

I appreciate your feedback about the recommedations given to you from one of our front desk associates. I can assure you that is not typical of our service and certainly not the verbiage that we wish our staff to be using. Please contact me at 317-624-8224 so I can discuss your experience further. Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to seeing you again.

Bargersville, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

Stayed one night while exploring a day in the city. We found the bed in the King Suite to be one of the most comfortable beds we've ever slept in. We had a nightcap at Plat 99, the hotels mixology lounge, and found their signature cocktails on the sour side but their craft beer selection and classic dirty martini were good. The front desk staff was friendly and professional. We tried Sunday brunch at The Market Table on their recommendation and were pleased to find variety and really fresh made selections prepared right on the banquet line. We will definitely keep The Alexander in mind in the future.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Michelle D, Guest Relations Manager at The Alexander, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Indywriter18,

Thank you so much for staying with us here at The Alexander. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the comfort of our rooms and the fresh selections at Market Table for brunch. Our mixologists can always make you a signature cocktail based on your flavor profile. Next time stop in, and we will create the "Indywriter18" cocktail of your choosing. We certainly look forward to seeing you again!

The Alexander, A Dolce Hotel

Been to The Alexander? Share your experiences!