“A nice downtown hotel, but there are better” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Garden Inn Indianapolis Downtown

You added Hilton Garden Inn Indianapolis Downtown to your Saves list
Hilton Garden Inn Indianapolis Downtown
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   10 East Market Street, Indianapolis, IN 46204 (Downtown Indianapolis)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Family Fun Package
Ranked #18 of 184 Hotels in Indianapolis
Los Angeles, California
“A nice downtown hotel, but there are better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

I stayed two nites at the Hilton Garden Inn on business in July 2012. The hotel was walking distance to my biz meetings, so it was incredibly handy. Also, it is located right off of Monument Circle (I could even see the monument from my room), so it's additionally well-located to restaurants and sight-seeing.

The hotel is located in an old bank building and still has gorgeous engraved brass elevator doors off of the marble lobby. The rooms, themselves, are a little smallish, but nicely appointed. The bed is a sort of "Sleep Number" knock-off which has a dial on the side of the mattress that you can dial for levels of firmness. I couldn't tell much difference in the settings, honestly. There is a microwave and a fridge (in addition to the standard coffeemaker) which is great if you want to skimp on room service or the downstairs buffet. Standard-size bathroom with low, non-soaking style tub.

As an aside, a colleague I was travelling with checked into her "non-smoking" room and it reeked of smoke. She said that, clearly, someone had been smoking quite heavily in the room before she checked in. She asked to be moved and, luckily, her second room was better.

This is definitely a nice enough hotel & a good value for the price. However, after staying at the Omni, I would likely rebook there before staying at the Hilton Garden Inn, again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
indyilinds, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Indianapolis Downtown, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and hope you'll think of us along with the Omni the next time you're in town!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Champaign, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

We loved the hotel. Staff was great and the room was nice. Half a block from the circle monument. Loved eating and drinking downtown and walking to our room. You can't beat the location if you want to stay downtown. Many good places to eat and drink downtown. Would stay at again!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for writing! We hope you come back soon!
Indianapolis
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

I have been a loyal Hilton Honors member for many years and generally really like Hilton Garden Inn's. I have stayed at this particular HGI many times, and been please for the most part. My most recent stay at this HGI however was quite poor.

For starters when I checked in I informed the front desk that my wife would be staying with me, but that she would not be at the hotel until later in the evening and would need to pick up a key card. I asked the gentlemen at the front desk if this would be a problem and he said as long as she had her ID and had the same last name it would be no hassle at all. However when she arrived she was not asked for her ID, and given the run around about if they would be able to provide her with a key.

Our first night sleeping in the room it kept sound like someone was swiping a key card and trying to get into the room. Turns out it was the AC unit that was making a fairly loud noise about once every 20 minutes. It was very disruptive while trying to sleep because it honestly sounded exactly like someone was trying to enter the room.

The maid service was pretty terrible to be honest. The bed was made each day, but other than that no real attempt to clean the room was made. Once we came back to find the bed made, but the trash cans still full. The ironing board was still in the middle of the room (was running late one morning and didnt put it away) and the maid made no effort to even straighten it up.

Anyways..This hotel is in a great location, the price is decent, and it could be worse. However, next time I stay downtown, this wont be my first choice of hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
indyilinds, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Indianapolis Downtown, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback for your recent stay. I do apologize we did not meeting your expectations. I am happy to hear that you have been here before and know that the things that occurred were not the norm for our hotel. We take pride in not only meeting, but exceeding our guests' expectations. It is not acceptable that we failed you. I have personally sat down with each department to discuss the issues you experienced while here and to check on the HVAC unit for the room in which you stayed. If you have any discomforts or inconveniences at our, or any hotel, in the future, please be sure to address them with the staff so we have the opportunity to make it right and improve your stay experience. We truly hope that you will give us another chance to be your first choice when visiting Indianapolis.

Please contact our Assistant General Manager i of you would like to discuss your stay in more detail.
Evanston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

A mid-week business conference brought me to Indianapolis for the second time in 3 months. I was more than happy to again select the Hilton Garden Inn as an alternative to the property where the conference was being held - a larger newer hotel. I was able to check in early which was extremely helpful because of the midday start of the conference. The complementary breakfast coupons made it convenient to get a quick and nutritious meal to begin each busy day. My experience included a nice, clean room, easy to access free wifi, and very responsive room service. The staff, especially those in food service were very friendly and accommodating.

Room Tip: Great location if you are attending an event at the Fieldhouse.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
indyilinds, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Indianapolis Downtown, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Thank you for your post! We appreciate the kind words and hope to see you back a third time!
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

Stayed one night over the weekend. The rooms are plenty big enough, and having a fridge and microwave is convenient. It's in a historic building, but the rooms are modern. The cable was out in the morning. The receptionship took a little off the bill, and they were able to fix it while I was at breakfast. The hotel breakfast is better than average.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
indyilinds, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Indianapolis Downtown, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Thanks for writing. I apologize for the trouble with the TV over the weekend. We have a satellite service so maybe there was a little glitch with the reception there. I'm glad you were happy with your stay and we hope you'll think of us again the next time you're in Indy!
Chicago,IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

This was a very nice alternative (i have stayed at Conrad in past). The staff was very friendly, helpful and the location was perfect. This property is different from most HGI's because its in an older building that has been renovated...some cool features. The rooms are set up nicley and are good size. Breakfast in the morning was very nice and again he service was awesome. Only down point was the elevators were extremely slow, maybe because they looked "retro". Nice place and i would stay there again.

Come back any time!
Houston, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

This was better than I expected for a Hilton Garden Inn. Check-in was quick and my room (with two double beds) was quite spacious and clean. The location was very convenient. I walked to dinner the first night I was there. I ate at Adobo Grill and it was excellent (I had guacamole/chips and a butternut squash enchilada). There do seem to be a number of panhandlers around, so if you are not comfortable with that, be aware. It doesn't bother me, so it was an easy walk to Adobo. As another poster referenced, the Starbucks is right across the street from the hotel - very convenient for those who need their regular caffeine hits. The mall is also convenient to the hotel (for those who need regular retail hits).

The first morning during my stay I had breakfast in the hotel (located just off the lobby not far from where you check in). The service was very good - as was my breakfast of eggs, hash browns and coffee. Later, after a long day at my conference, I ordered room service for dinner and it was prompt and decent/good. Check-out was easy and there were taxis lined up across the street, so I had an easy return to the airport.

I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: I stayed on the 7th floor near the vending machine and elevator (you could see my room as soon as yo...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
indyilinds, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Indianapolis Downtown, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Thanks so much for your review! It looks like everything you noted about us was positive and we are happy to have provided you a hotel and service better than expected! I'm a huge fan of Adobo Grill; it was my first taste of fresh guacamole and it's only a block from the hotel. Come back soon!

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Indianapolis Downtown? Share your experiences!