“Make sure your reservation doesn't get cancelled!” 1 of 5 stars

The Villa Inn
3.0 of 5 Inn   |   1456 N Delaware St, Indianapolis, IN 46202   |
Ranked #11 of 21 Indianapolis B&B and Inns
Cincinnati, OH
“Make sure your reservation doesn't get cancelled!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2006

I have not stayed at this specific property, but my wife and I stayed at the Looking Glass Inn in July 2005 for 1 night to attend the F1 Grand Prix in Indianapolis. This property is run by the same owners also manage two other nearby Indianapolis properties, The Villa and the Stone Soup Inn.

The Looking Glass Inn is a nice B&B in a good area close to downtown. I have no complaints about the accommodations or service we received during my stay.

In fact, we were open to the prospect of returning for another stay, but this is where our problem occurred.

We decided to again attend the F1 race in Indianapolis in July 2006. We contacted the Looking Glass Inn in December 2005 (six months in advance) and made a reservation, received a confirmation email, and had a deposit charged to our credit card. Several weeks later we received a call indicating they were canceling our reservation because they were deeming the F1 weekend a special event weekend and were now requiring a 4-night minimum stay at rates higher than they publish on their website.

We were very upset by this because we had a reservation and had paid a deposit. The owner was not very apologetic. She did offer to contact other hotels for us in the area, but ultimately did not follow up with us leaving us without a place to stay.

I would encourage strong consideration before booking with any hotel or bed and breakfast that treats returning guests this way. I will not consider staying at the Looking Glass Inn or any of their other properties again.

Stayed July 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Cincinnati
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2005

We went to the Villa Inn for a girls weekend. We had the most wonderful treatments. The staff was very knowledgeable and courteous. I had the best massage, facial, manicure and pedicure I have ever had. My friend and I were talking about when we could come back until.... we checked out. The proprietor is very unpleasant. See previous reviews. We had a coupon for a free shampoo and blow dry if you purchase one treatment, which expired two days earlier. We asked the owner if she would honor it since we had four treatments, stayed in her Looking Glass Inn, ate in the restaruant and spent over $900 in less that 24 hours. She refused. After checking me out and I signed my Visa receipt, she noticed she had not charged me enough for my pedicure, and asked if she could increase my charge by $10. She made the mistake, she should eat it, I felt I had spent enough and it was her error. So, after not having the blow dry and shampoo, my friend and I decided never to spend another dime at her establishment. She has not learned that the customer is always right. If she would have agreed to help us, we would certainly have returned and recommended the Inn to our Cincinnati friends.

• Stayed August 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2005

It was like walking into a big hug. The staff was hospitable and friendly. The rooms were huge and comfy. There were soft drinks, water, and snacks provided. It was quiet. Spa facilities and staff were the best. Chef provided an interesting menu. food was good. I'd go back anytime. Some of my companions were worried about the neighborhood. No problem there.

paulav
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2005

My 3 sisters and I had 3 rooms at The Villa Inn over the weekend and found it to be a lovely experience. We never had to leave the building to eat fabulous food, enjoy several spa treatments, get our hair cut, and enjoy delicious deserts on the private roof top terrace. The Inn itself is a splendid Mediterranean Villa; the rooms were all very different from each other, but all well equipped, first-rate, large and clean. Every room had a large Jacuzzi tub, iron board, cable TV, phones, alarm, ceiling fans, fire places, high-speed wireless internet, etc. The beds were comfortable. The AC worked very well in the 96 degree heat. Outside the room was a fully stocked frig with drinks, fruit and snacks. The staff were all very polite, friendly and helpful.
We had breakfast (included) in the morning with the choice of frittatas, or French toast with bacon and fruit, fresh OJ, coffee, teas, then the usual continental breakfast also, with the best blueberry muffins I have ever tasted. We had dinner in The Villa Inn restaurant, and all 4 dishes were exquisite. The price is also very good. I highly recommend the Mushroom pasta ragout. They use Indiana growers, so the mushrooms and produce were delicious. They have their own garden also of herbs, tomatoes, peppers right along the side of the building.
We took advantage of the many spa services and all of the treatments were fairly priced and the results were wonderful. We had hair cuts, brows waxed, stone, deep tissue and aromatherapy massages, facials, facial peels, pedicure, and it was all well worth it.
The only negative was that one of my sisters had a back injury the day before she was coming and could not make the trip. They have a strict cancellation policy and would not refund her any money, so she had to pay for the entire weekend on an empty room. With all the money we were spending, I thought a partial refund would have been the ethical thing to do as a courtesy to her.
The area is perfectly safe in a terrific downtown location. In 3 minutes you could drive to the canal and be right in the center of all the activity. There is great shopping, superb restaurants, great museums, and the canal has gondolier rides through the area. Indianapolis has so much to do for any age.

paulav
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2005

Do not hesitate to enjoy a meal at The Villa Inn. The splendid Mediterranean Villa is the perfect atmosphere to enjoy a delicious, romantic dinner or impress your guests. I had the Mushroom Ragout, made with a variety of Indiana organically grown mushrooms and it was superb. You can eat indoors or out, the service was excellent, thanks to our waiter, Chris. 4 of us ate dinner, had 2 bottles of wine, and the cost before tip was less than $40 per person.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2005

The facility itself was beautiful, however the customer service was poor and the amenities were highly over-rated for the price. Overall, it was a very disappointing experience.

A welcome letter and confirmation with directions were not mailed prior to our stay, nor were we greeted with a friendly welcome upon our arrival. One would think this would be a simple, standard welcoming practice for the Villa that has only 6 guest rooms to manage. The complimentary butler's pantry (included in the $280/night price) was not stocked with gourmet snacks and beverages as advertised. There were 3 single-serving bags of standard chips, 6 pre-packaged cheese/peanut butter crackers (that you could pick up at any gas station), a few bags of microwave popcorn, about 4 pieces of fruit, a very limited beverage supply and tea bags. A delightful breakfast, that was also advertised and included in the price, was sub-par at best. Only 2 breakfast options were presented. The one my husband and I selected was terrible.

I travel frequently and have stayed at a variety of small inns, unique hotels and spas. I choose smaller inns/hotels for a reason. I have always felt welcome - like the hosting inn, hotel or spa was happy that we made the decision to stay there and that they (the staff) were there to help provide a relaxing, positive experience. For the first time in my 10 years of traveling for personal and work related reasons, I honestly felt as if it was solely about the bottom line for this small hotel. They existed for one reason, to make money. As a business woman, I know this is true for every business, however perception is everything and it can set the tone for your experience.

I would not recommend this villa to anyone traveling to Indianapolis. My husband and I were in town for a wedding so we had an opportunity to visit with several other out-of-town guests. There seems to be a variety of charming inns available that people were very satisfied with, so I would recommend researching other options. We did not even come close to getting what we paid for and would not consider staying there again.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2005

I have been a "regular" at the Villa for a number of years. I find it to be the perfect retreat...for an hour, a day, or a weekend. I HIGHLY recommend it to those who are simply looking to be pampered and have a bit of time to relax.

Been to The Villa Inn? Share your experiences!