“Just okay” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #109 of 183 Hotels in Indianapolis
Manhattan Beach, California
“Just okay”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

Although the hotel is clean and the staff was friendly, I was disappointed because I think the hotel needs some renovation. I saw a review that the hotel was under renovation about two years ago, but it must have been for the lobby only. The rooms are in need of renovation. For starters, the chair in my room basically had no more padding left and was uncomfortable. The bathroom ceiling tile was falling apart, and the toilet was not properly affixed because it rocked when in use. The sound from the television was terrible, and the fitness center was decent, but it was poorly lit. The housekeeping carts even need some help as they were squeaking very loudly. The hallways look as though they've been abused by luggage. Like another reviewer, I wanted to like this hotel more because the people there were nice and helpful, but compared to other hotels at this level, I was disappointed. I am sorry to say that I would not stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Carlson Hotels C, Online Customer Support at Radisson Hotel Indianapolis Airport, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
We are extremely unhappy to hear of the challenges that you experienced with the condition of the hotel and your room while visiting our hotel. It is our goal that each guest leaves satisfied with their stay. Please know that your comments have been heard and we are working very diligently to ensure that this situation does not happen again. We hope that the next time that time you are in our area, you will return to see that we have been able to make changes to exceed your expectations.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Decatur, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

Pros and cons will work...
Pro- hotel is quiet. I'm assuming because no one else wants to stay there.
Pro-Nice staff.
Con-Dingy
Con-Dirty
Con-NO HOT WATER. When complained, offered to move. A little late after the shower. Did not offer discount.
Con-The view. Nothing says romance like a disgusting roof with a dirty, green dome and leaves everywhere.
Pro-Could only hear a few planes.
Con-Bed was better than... sleeping on a piece of plywood.
Con-Questionable stain on sheet. Yum.
Pro-Close to downtown.
Con-Who doesn't love itchy sheets and comforters?
Con-Lovely holes all over ceiling. Loose ceiling tiles in both rooms.
Con-TV from the 1990's.
If you have the unfortunate desire to go to Indy, choose a different hotel.

Room Tip: One in a different hotel.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Stephen W, Manager at Radisson Hotel Indianapolis Airport, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments regarding your stay.

On behalf of our entire staff at Radisson we apologize for the concerns you shared about your experience at this hotel. I have addressed your comments with our team, and I assure you we are working diligently to ensure a similar situation does not occur again in the future.

Flushing, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

This was a very clean quiet comfortable hotel. I used the airport shuttle which was excellent and prompt. The hotel did NOT use any floral cleaning products which is a very important aspect of any hotel stay for me. I did not give it 5 stars as the hotel could use an update to the bathrooms. However since the bathroom is only used for a small portion of any hotel stay this is not that important.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

For those of you who want a brief review, I'll state the pros and cons of this hotel in my experience and save my detailed explanation and description for later.

Pros:
1. Location: It's an airport hotel. They are not here to sell you any fancy gimmicks or chic accommodations. They are here for two things, convenience and functionality. If you are on a prolonged layover or simply need that expeditious ride to the airport without the agony of traffic, this hotel is convenient. Obviously other choices are available, but the on demand, nearly always empty, complimentary van shuttle is particular to this hotel.

2. Service: Everyone from the Guest Services Manager to the waitstaff at the onsite restaurant, politely greets me with a smile and pleasantry whether dealing with me directly or simply in passing. It's clear to me that customer service has become the focus of this new team of management. I've had to change rooms twice now (the reason for which will be described later), and the staff at the front desk has been friendly, courteous, patient, and accommodating. Kudos to them.

3. Miscellaneous amenities. An all day coffee bar partnered with complimentary wifi are thoughtful little perks that add significantly to the overall experience of a business traveler.

Cons:
1. The beds. While the concept of sleep number beds may seem tantalizing and quite a clever marketing ploy, they are abhorrent. I've stayed the first of four nights in their flagship bed and I fear my back will never forgive me. The bed was nonfunctional, literally. Nothing turned on and operating the control proved to be an exercise in futility. The bed provided as much support as a beanbag and I woke up in what appeared to be a self made crevice in a much larger king sized bed. After switching rooms, my new bed was as lifeless as the first. Now feeling like the three bears in the beloved tale of Goldilocks, I've moved to my third room. And yes, the bed is just right.

2. The fixtures. This hotel has seen better days and if the building facade did not express that, the rooms did. In my first room, the toilet was not properly affixed to the bathroom floor, leaving it rocking when in use. Fortunately, there was no water leakage anywhere. The shower rod was clearly not long enough for the width of the shower entry. Long screws bridging the gap between the rod and the wall made that shortcoming apparent. After what I've come to discover as a recent renovation, it's clear to me that all rooms did not receive the same tender loving care. My current room still boasts a nostalgic Zenith 25 inch tube television. Additionally, one wall in particular is decorated with the markings of old luggage. Overall minor problems that do not detract from functionality, but may be a source of concern for the more discerning traveler.

3. The elevator. Only one of main elevators is currently in operation, leaving guests waiting unacceptable times. To further exacerbate the situation, the hotel staff, including housekeeping, uses this elevator. Fortunately for me, the hotel is not congested. But I can see how this can aggravate guests during the busier, travel season. The already dated elevators have seen better days and need replacement. Plain and simple. I feel obliged to commend the maintenance man who entered the elevator with me, asked me what floor I was headed to, pushed the button, and did not exit when we reached the 6th floor, indicating this was not his stop but he prioritized my ride up over his. This is a shining example of the exemplary customer service of this hotel.

I really REALLY wanted to like this hotel. After reading reviews, I came hopeful. The comforting words of a hotel manager assuaged my fears and encouraged me to give Radisson another try. Unfortunately, this is the type of stay that fosters loyalty for the larger, more popular hotel chains. I have, and probably always will be a Starwood patron. For reasons beyond my control, I am staying here with what I believe to be as an open mind. I believe the foundation of an excellent management team is in place here, leading this hotel towards a very promising future. Regretfully, I cannot say that I will look to Radisson for my liesure travel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Carlson Hotels C, Online Customer Support at Radisson Hotel Indianapolis Airport, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
We are extremely unhappy to hear of the challenges that you experienced while visiting our hotel. It is our goal that each guest leaves satisfied with their stay. Please know that your comments have been heard, especially regarding the sleep number beds and elevator service issues. We are working very diligently to ensure these situations do not happen again. We hope that the next time that time you are in our area, you will return to see that we have been able to make changes to exceed your expectations.
Columbia City, IN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

We stayed the night of Feb 5, 2013. Were met by management who were very upbeat and helpful. They helped with baggage and up to the room. Room was nice but beds were hard. (Found out later, they are Sleep Number beds, so you can adjust if you like.) The restaurant was very nice and food was good. Next day we left and the shuttle was on time when we left and when we returned. I will definitely stay here if I fly out of Indy again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
JacobVanWinkle, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Indianapolis Airport, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Dear Hathaway0715,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We have made a lot of great changes to our hotel and our operation. I will pass on your compliments to our staff and management team. We hope that you visit us again the next time that you are in the Indianapolis area.

With Hospitality,

Jacob VanWinkle
Radisson Indianapolis Airport
Lagos, Nigeria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

I stayed in this Hotel between the 27th of December, 2012 and 1st of January, 2013. I was picked up at the Airport by the Hotel's shuttle Bus. Immediately I walked in to the Hotels Lobby I knew I had not made a mistake. The Staff are very kind , cautious and efficient. They are always willing to assist at every opportunity. The services were impeccable, the Room very clean and well maintained. The heater in the Room also worked perfectly. I would stay in this Hotel again and again. I also wish to recommend it to anybody who wish to visit Indianapolis.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
JacobVanWinkle, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Indianapolis Airport, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Hello Olakunle A,

Thank you so much for your compliments of our hotel and staff. We greatly appreciate your business and hope to accomodate you in the future.

I would like to meet you in person the next time that you are in the area and if you need reservations in the future it would be my pleasure to make those arrangements for you.

With Hospitality,

Jacob Van Winkle
Radisson Indianapolis Airport
317.244.3361 ext. 402

Been to Radisson Hotel Indianapolis Airport? Share your experiences!