“Beautiful and friendly!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Harney House Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Indianapolis
The Harney House Inn
Ranked #4 of 21 Indianapolis B&B and Inns
South Point, Ohio
“Beautiful and friendly!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014 via mobile

The Harney House was an excellent choice for our fun filled and romantic weekend. Amenities exceeded expectation, the room was spacious and beautiful and we are STILL talking about the breakfast! It is within walking distance to local pubs and concert venues which made it convenient as well as quaint. Over all well worth the four hour drive!

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Debra H, Owner at The Harney House Inn, responded to this review, April 17, 2014
So glad you were able to enjoy your fun filled and romantic weekend here at the Inn and we are very happy that you enjoyed the breakfast as well! Thank you so much for taking the time to write us a review...we truly appreciate it! Hope you come back to visit soon!

Deb

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

I stayed here while visiting family and couldn't have been happier. To address the grump that left the terrible review and doesn't believe everyone else that left reviews is legit--well, when I see 50 4 and 5 star reviews and one 1 star review, that tells me something about the author not the location.
Parking IS tight. guess what? you're downtown. be grateful you have anywhere FREE to park at all. that being said, rent a compact car if possible and you'll be happier.
Coffee is a k-cup machine and DIY. hence the "no fresh coffee" smell in the AM.
I didn't go in the intent to raid the snacks on the landing so I can't address their freshness or quantity.
Breakfast was better than anticipated, nothing continental about it! not super fancy but scrambled eggs, bacon or sausage and a fresh bread item like a scone or pancake, daily in addition to a full continental spread.
the innkeeper isn't around much but there's always a contact number posted if needed and unlike some innkeepers, I really felt like she meant it.
it's pretty typical to commit to a breakfast time the night before. you have until 11pm to leave a note with the time you'd like to eat in the AM. not too taxing! and I can't blame her when she only have 3 rooms to not want to get up at 6am and wait around hoping for people to show up.
My room was amazing. My only gripe, and it's kind of a big one, is the shower is for people less than 5 feet tall. Literally. I'm 5"4 and the top of the shower head was level with my head. the shower itself is set into the slope of the roof so gets shorter quickly. it's also possibly the world's smallest shower stall, I swear it's 18 x 18 inches.
so large people or tall people are going to be unhappy.
Also, the bed was a full, which could be a problem for couples.
Room was clean, no issues. Delighted by the amount of sunlight and space. my family all trooped up to check it out and were equally impressed. The ones staying elsewhere were jealous!
I stay at B&Bs all the time and I've seen it all! I think Harney house is a great choice, centrally located, lots of space, free parking, free food!
if you're used to being waited on hand and foot in a crate and barrel model home, this isn't going to be the place for you. the common area décor is, true, a little well loved. the landing is too dark.
Overall, I really enjoyed it and am thrilled I've found a place to stay in Indy when I visit family.

Room Tip: don't stay in the penthouse if you're tall or large, the shower IS super tiny and short. Als...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. I am very glad you enjoyed your stay with us and I hope you can stay with us the next time you come and visit your family!

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

I have to disagree with a prior reviewer on this location. Having stayed at many Bed and Breakfasts which is by choice over a chain hotel - I have gotten to understand from the hosts how much work is involved that most travellers do not see - unfortunately since you do not have a hotel staff - it is up to you to run the errands - take care of the rooms - prepare the meal - the little elves do not seem to help the owners do this - and to that extent there are rules in some of the B&Bs that they have instituted in order to make your stay more efficient - such as breakfast times, check in and check out times etc etc etc.

For me I found Deb to be a great hostess taking great care to make the house as comfortable as your very own - I had no problems staying here and will do so again if in the area - it is located in the Locerbie Square area - superb for shopping and lots of good restaurants nearby.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
I am so happy you enjoyed your stay and Thank You for taking the time to write us a review. I am glad that we were able to make your stay a very comfortable one. I hope that you will get the chance to come back and visit us again soon!

ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

My wife and I recently stayed at the Harney House during a weekend trip to Indianapolis to check out the city and see what it has to offer. We really could not have picked a better place to stay and were thrilled with out decision! Deb, who owns and runs the house, could not be a more gracious and easy going hostess, and my wife commented on how spotlessly clean she keeps the inn.
As far as location, the inn is very centrally located in the Lockerbie area of town, and was a quick walk to several good restaurants such as Maxine's and the Bru Burger. A grocery is also nearby if you forget anything and need to run out.
As noted, the rooms were clean, provided a kitchen, and had quite comfortable mattresses. Cable TV/Direct TV is provided, and Deb has a huge DVD selection for all sorts of ages and preferences.
Finally, I would be remiss not to mention the fabulous breakfasts we had on the weekend! Juice, milk, coffee, tea, fresh bakery goods, cereal, fruit, eggs, and even homemade breakfast casserole! If you can't find something you like to eat here, then you just aren't trying!
To top it all off, all of the above is provided for a VERY competitive price, at least based on our research. Not sure when it will be, but we will definitely contact the Harney House on our next trip.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank You so much for taking the time to write us a review. I really appreciate it! I am so glad you enjoyed your stay, walking around downtown and Mass Ave. I hope that you will come back and visit again soon!

Jeffersonville, Indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

My husband and I stayed here and after the great reviews we read, we were looking forward to it. I honestly have trouble believing those reviews were genuine. We stayed in the garden room, and I will just say right now we didn't even wait around for breakfast before leaving.
A B&B experience is supposed to be more intimate, and it is really about the details. Some things like the fact that the decor seems to fight between historical and mid 80's, that the "snacks" drawer had 5 little lunch bag chips, two trail mix packets and less than 6 sodas and was never filled during our stay, that there were two tiny plastic cups in the room to fulfill all your drinking needs, the ancient hairdryer that could damage your ears, the smell that can only be described as weird that permeated the house can be overlooked with a sigh of I wish that had been better. But things like finding what I can only assume was the last guests leftovers in the little fridge, the garbage bag of dirty linens in the closet, and the most uncomfortable bed my husband and I have ever slept in is inexcusable. The draw to a B&B besides the details that are supposed to make you feel pampered, is that you get to sleep in a big comfy bed with more pillows than you can ever want with soft quality linens. I have seen and felt better linens at hotels half the price of this B&B, there were a total of 4 pillows on the king bed, two were in scratchy shams and all were harder than the firmest pillow I have ever experienced. No others anywhere in the room. Finally, the bed itself was so hard. We got hardly any sleep, and it was fitful at best.
With the clear lack of attention to detail to the cleanliness of the room, we didn't even want to try the garden tub, and by the morning we were just anxious to leave. We had to fill out a card the night before about when we wanted breakfast because, as the innkeeper said, she didn't want to be up cooking before anyone needed her. Apparently guests need to know the night before when they will be hungry and cant change their minds. After telling us that upon checking in, she then told us she had to out to run errands with her son but we could reach her by cell if we needed. The number would be on her door. She was still gone a few hours later when we came back after dinner and before our evening plans. That was just such poor service. And in the morning our breakfast scheduled at 9am, as we mentioned we skipped, was not even apparently started at quarter till. The dining room was closed, lights out (no early coffee there!), and there was no stirrings, lights, or smells from anywhere else on the main floor.
I was so incredibly disappointed. This was a big event for my husband and I- a surprise, and a first getaway in years for us because of little ones at home. We have had one other B&B experience just a couple hours south of Indy, for less than we paid there, and it was a phenomenal experience from beginning to end. So perhaps we were spoiled the first time, but I always thought that was the point of a B&B.
there was, quite simply, no effort in ensuring any positive thing about our stay. We saw other guests that night, one can only hope they fared better than we did.
The only good thing I can say is great location. Crappy and confusing parking, but very close to a lot of fun things. That said, I really can't recommend this Inn, even if it means an extra cab ride.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Potential guests – please know that I value all reviews, both positive and negative from all of my guests and use that feedback as a way to improve on what isn’t working and, to improve on the things that are working to hopefully make them even better. The comments written in this review are not a fair and/or accurate representation of our Inn. I would ask anyone staying with us that if you are at any point less than happy with your stay or have questions about your stay, to please come and talk to me immediately.

I have built the Harney House Inn from the ground up and have put so much hard work and pride into it so others can experience a peaceful nights rest in a warm, clean and inviting room to be your “home away from home” for the duration of your stay with us.

Now, let me tell you a little about the units. Each room is equipped with a coffee maker with in-room coffee/teas, other types of glasses and cups in addition to the plastic cups provided. We have an extra blanket in the closet in a zipped plastic bag, hair dryers have been replaced in all units, extra pillows in the drawer under the bed or in the closets, mattresses are only two years old or newer and, depending on your preference of mattress style, you may find one that isn’t a perfect fit for you but it is for others which are the same issues you would experience anywhere you stay.

I take the utmost pride in cleanliness and can assure everyone that every room is thoroughly cleaned and sanitized after guests have checked out, including bedding, mattresses, showers, bath rooms (including the garden tub).

There have been, and will be times, when I will be away for a period of time to run errands, go to the grocery, attend a family function, etc. and if that happens, I always let my guests know either verbally or by a note on my door. I provide my telephone numbers so I can be reached at a moment’s notice. If anyone is ever uncomfortable with that, I would not leave the Inn(My family and I live on the first floor of the Inn).

With the varying schedules of our guests, I ask them to complete a breakfast card with the time they would like breakfast so I can assure that everyone always has a fresh, hot breakfast every day. The card also states that if a guest forgets to put their card out, the dining room will be open at 8am with coffee/tea and muffins. Also, we try to be respectful of everyone who might still be sleeping by keeping the noise level at a minimum. Lights to the dining room are turned on and doors opened 10-15 minutes before the first person is scheduled to be down for breakfast which allows us time for set-up.

We provide free parking with four spaces located in the rear of the Inn which is clearly marked with yellow strips for easy visibility and access. There is also free parking in front of the Inn on weekends and evenings after 6:00 pm.

Thanks so much!!

West Lafayette, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

This B and B was my first experience, and it was a hit! My special someone and I shared the top floor with another couple - two very great friends of ours! The whole weekend was great starting with none other than, Deb. Her hospitality was wonderful. Now, I know I have nothing to compare with, but I am familiar with customer service and hospitality. I'm telling you, people, she was perfect. The house was comfortable and cozy. The decor was elegant and inviting for all ages. The space was perfect for four people (in reference to the top floor room).
I could go on and on but I will spoil the great surprise that lies behind the front door.

If you are even thinking about a B and B and you are reading this review, don't look anywhere else.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Debra H, Owner at The Harney House Inn, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Thank You so much for taking the time to write us a review...I truly appreciate it! I am so glad you enjoyed your stay and I hope you can come back and visit again soon!

Miamisburg, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

We were traveling to Indy for a 3 night stay and found this gem called The Harney House Inn just off Mass Ave situated in the Lockerbie Square Neighborhood. The location is superb for shopping,dining, and nightlife. There is free parking behind the house.
We stayed in the Riley Room for night 1 and the next 2 in the Garden Room. The rooms were extremely clean,and comfortable.The sitting room in Riley is larger,thus more comfortable but the Garden bedroom is out of this world nice. Our breakfast was with baked goods that were amazing, and eggs and meats,yogurt,fresh fruit,a super stocked Keurig, and juices and on and on. The wrap around porch affords a view down Vermont with St.Mary`s church and its twin spires and at night you can view Ann Dancing(you got to be here). A more comfortable porch I have never sat! In short the Harney`s are great and so is their B&B !

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Debra H, Owner at The Harney House Inn, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
It was a pleasure having you and your family here and I am so glad you enjoyed your stay and got to see Ann Dancing:) My family and I really enjoyed sitting on the porch with you and getting to know you and your family! Thank You for taking the time to write us a review...I very much appreciate it! We hope that you will come back and visit us again the next time you come to Indy!

Thanks again,
Deb

Been to The Harney House Inn? Share your experiences!