“Emergency stay due to blizzard” 3 of 5 stars

Super 8 Indianapolis/Emerson
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4530 S Emerson Ave, Indianapolis, IN 46203   |
Ranked #100 of 183 hotels in Indianapolis
Birmingham
“Emergency stay due to blizzard”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

Had to stop here on the drive from Michigan back to Alabama during Christmas holidays because my significant other and I got stuck in the middle of a blizzard. Customer service was excellent- the clerk at the front desk was very sweet and accommodating. The poor review is mainly due to the quality and value of what we paid for, especially considering the visit was not planned ahead of time due to the circumstances. When we got off this interstate exit, the only priority in mind was to find an inexpensive but decent place to stay the night until the weather improved. I regret saying no to stopping at a La Quinta Inn with the sign advertising "Rooms starting at $79" because I would have happily gone over budget for a decent room compared to this. For 1 night in 1 room we played about $70 + tax at this Super 8. Upon entering the room, we were greeted by a wall A/C unit that apparently also worked as the only heater in the room and was blowing cold then hot air during the first 30 min and then continued to randomly shut off and turn on at random intervals throughout the night. It took almost 10 min of running bath water for it to become warm (partly due to the weather maybe? but still... ) the towels were clean, but overwrought and absolutely paper thin. The pillows on the bed were flat as pancakes and the comforter (if you could even call it that) had some sort of scratchy foam lining underneath? and was honestly as flat as the sheets were on the bed and provided no warmth.

All in all, the staff and service was good but for the money we paid it wasn't worth it.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
sly1234_12, Manager at Super 8 Indianapolis/Emerson, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Thank you Sir for your comments, however I noticed several discrepancies in your review. You were not charged $70.00 plus tax, the rate you were charged was $60.00 plus tax for a total of $70.20. In your review you commented that heater turned on and off all night. These heaters are controlled by a thermostat, which causes the heater to kick on or off depending on how you had the controls set. Once the room reaches the temperature it is set for it turns off, when the temperature drops in the room it turns the heater back on, the same way your thermostat controls the furnace in your home. Concerning your comment on the comforter, it is not a comforter it is a bedspread. Between the bedspread and the top sheet is a soft blanket. We do sincerely apologies for the inconveniences you had during your stay with us.

76 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Williamsburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

We stayed at this hotel over the thanksgiving holiday. Location was great since there was a Wal-Mart right behind the hotel and if you ever needed anything it was only a 1 minute walk to get there; rooms were very clean and spacious. Breakfast had great coffee and good food. The lady at the front desk was extremely helpful, pleasant to talk too and had great advice on where to eat at night. I would highly recommend this hotel for a trip to Indianapolis.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
sly1234_12, Manager at Super 8 Indianapolis/Emerson, responded to this review, January 1, 2013
Thank you very much for your kind comments. We hope you will visit us again soon.
Elk Grove, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

I stayed at this super 8 for a month and a half due to a work assignment. The staff was very helpful and accommodating! This is the cleanest super 8 I have been to, and I've been to many. Not only did they clean my filth (I am VERY filthy), they assisted me with my luggage, packages, and even cleaning my personal bed sheets. The best moment I had was when they offered me a dish on Thanksgiving.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
I am glad you enjoy your visit with us, and we look forward to you returning here the next time your visit our city. Thank you for your comments on the condition of the hotel and how you were treated by the staff. We always try and provide the best service possible to our customers.
Goshen, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

This Super 8 was clean, and typical for a Super 8, except...it had paint unlike any other I had seen. It was a two tone bright yellow and orange interior I found to be very warm and cheerful. . I am from Miami, Florida, and would not have been surprised to see this on South Beach, where trendy styles feature all manner of paint; I did not expect such in Indiana. I found the staff very friendly, and they even offered to brew decaff coffee in the morning if we asked for it. Would be pleased to stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your comments on the staff and the paint scheme of the hotel. We try to provide an atmosphere of being a cheerful place to visit. The staff enjoyed chating with you during your stay and we hope to see you back again when you come thru Indianapolis on another trip.
Mississauga, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

When we checked in they gave me room with no A/C unit and i found couple bed bugs in the sheets. There were blood spot also. I took the front desk to show them. Then I decided not to stay but the guy at front desk told me he couldn't give me refund. I was tired and he kept arguing i told him to change room and that room was poor toilet had URINE stains on it.This Super 8 would be pretty average, other than the owners birds. We had a really hard time falling asleep and putting our 14 month old daughter to bed because we could hear them in our room from 10pm to midnight. Definitely had a rough night. Birds didn't let us sleep

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
sly1234_12, Owner at Super 8 Indianapolis/Emerson, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
This guest checked in at approximately 5:00 p.m. At approximately 1:30 a.m, he requested the front desk clerk to come and check out dead bug he had in a paper towel. The guest stated that it was a bed bug and that there was a lot of them. The desk clerk checked the bed and chair and could not find any bugs. The front desk clerk offered to move them to another room, which they accepted. They complained to Super 8. The Guest was still in the hotel, and Customer Service recommended that we inspect the room with the guest. The Manager, HouseKeeper and the Guest returned to the room, inspected the beds, headboards and chair and there no bugs found. We offer the guest a 15% refund, as a courtsey, however the Guest stated it was ok, since nothing was found.

Since the guest checkout, we have rented the room just about every night and have had no complaints. We had the health department check the room and they couldn't find anything in the room either.

Been to Super 8 Indianapolis/Emerson? Share your experiences!