“Hands Down...My favorite place to eat period!” 5 of 5 stars

7415 US 31, Indianapolis, IN
Improve this listing
Ranked #1,107 of 2,023 Restaurants in Indianapolis
Cuisines: Indian
Description: This restaurant has been reviewed by many other sites, and I find it unusual that no one has made mention of it previously to tripadvisor. I would enjoy writting a review. The place is noteworthy, and my experience there was wonderful. Hope to hear from you. Thank you!
“Hands Down...My favorite place to eat period!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013 via mobile

I have traveled all over the states and tried a ton of other restaurants...I will not pass through Indianapolis without shooting down to the Clay Oven...it is so convenient as its ten minutes or less from 465 on the south side...Not only is it authentic, but it never gets boring because the daily lunch buffet always improves and varies to keep it interesting. As when I go there for dinner..example Valentine's Day 2012 my date and I enjoyed a delicious eggplant korma...Btw...best korma...And to top it off...a very choice selection of Indian Beer...I'm not a drinker but I've had to sit down over a meal there and enjoy 1 from time to time....I've probably had 20 or more visits in the past year and I live in West Virginia...to end this review...I really like the Clay Oven...If you decide to you want a good dining experience day or evening ..you will be greeted by people who really can provide that for you...hands down...

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Central Indiana
“Best. Indian. Food. Ever. (Well, in Indianapolis!)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2012

When our previous favorite southside Indian resturant closed down a few years ago, we were left with a definate lack of choices. The other Indian resturant near us had poor service and the food wasn't anything to write home about either. Thus, we were eager to give a new spot a try.

The location in a strip mall ins't terribly appealing, but I am not coming for location, I am coming for the food. And the food rocks!

The owner has been present every time we have ate here, and he is a kind, polite gentleman. All of the staff work very well for the customer. I have had date night here with my wife, I've stopped in alone for the Lunch Buffet, and we've taken the entire family over for meals too.

The food is oustanding. Even on the Lunch Buffet, everything is well-seasoned and good for a variety of patrons. The food is frequently refreshed and is presented in an appealing manner.

My favorite dish is the Chicken Tikka Masala. At lunch, I can devour three or four plates of the stuff spiced as it is for the buffet. At dinner, kicking up the spice (and the water intake) allows me to survive on a plateful, but if I wasn't careful, I could eat myself out of house and home!

I highly recommend this resturant, and so does my wife!

• Visited February 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Cozy Indian restaurant with awesome food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2011

Friends of mine are always on the lookout for new Indian cuisine in our area. I went with them to the Clay Oven, and they were so right about this place! The restaurant may be located in a strip mall, but upon entering you will feel transported - the colors, the cozy ,intimate atmosphere (this place is rather small) and the aroma are so inviting.

I have visited twice now, both times for the lunch buffet. I introduced the place to different friends on my second visit. They enjoyed it as well. Both times I visited the owner stopped to chat for a few minutes, He asked if we were enjoying the meal, and asked if we had any questions. His pride in this restaurant is reflected in the food. The carrot pudding was amazing. They had the tradition naan bread, but also a bread called bhatura - sooo good! One unusual dessert I was unfamiliar with is called jalaibi - it is wonderful, and made from honey. I found out about these things by asking the owner questions. He was kind and unhurried. He had remembered me from my previous visit, just as he had remembered my friends when I joined them on my first visit. The items on the lunch buffet varied some the two times I was there, but all of it was fantastic, and hot (it hadn't cooled to room temperature like some buffet items do, when not properly tended).

I will try dinner next visit.

Aside from the fantastic food (I will say I think it is the best Indian I have had anywhere), what really stood out to me was the fact that the owner seemed to care so much about everything. I think that emotion is what is missing in a lot of dining experiences, especially in the chain restaurants. I knew there were people cooking in the kitchen. It made my day!

• Visited September 2011