“Very Nice to Stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Marriott Indianapolis Downtown

You added Marriott Indianapolis Downtown to your Saves list
Marriott Indianapolis Downtown
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   350 West Maryland Street, Indianapolis, IN 46225 (Downtown Indianapolis)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
$25 Daily Credit
Ranked #40 of 183 Hotels in Indianapolis
Cedarburg, Wisconsin
“Very Nice to Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2011

I always stay here when I travel to Indy for business. The staff are very friendly and never keep you waiting. The beds are very comfortable and rooms are clean. It's also within walking distance to plenty of restaurants and having a Starbucks in the lobby is a bonus.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
GM_Ray2010, General Manager at Marriott Indianapolis Downtown, responded to this review, June 20, 2011
Thank you for your nice comments and for being so loyal to the Indy Marriott Downtown Hotel. We hope to see you back again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Bloomington, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

We were looking for a hotel close to good restaurants and entertainment. We found it. The rooms had high-quality bedding and other room features. The room was a bit small, but fine. The lobby space was good for meeting friends prior to heading out for fun.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Thank you for sharing your comments. I am happy you enjoyed your stay and enjoyed Champions too. I appreciate your comments on areas for us to improve on so we can provide an even better experience for our guests.

Thanks for your feedback and we hope to see you again very soon.
Forked River, NJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2011

Stayed at Marriott Downtown recently for a few days during a business meeting held at the hotel. This was my third time staying at this hotel (in fact, only place I've stayed when in Indy). This was the location of the business meeting, as each past visit was, so I didn't choose the hotel myself.

Mostly good points about this hotel. Great location, near to convention center, Lucas Oil field, downtown (you can walk nearly anywhere, including Conseco Fieldhouse). Location was great. Interior is nice, no complaints. They have a Starbucks in the lobby (yawn) and another restaurant that I ate lunch at but no dinners (lunches were pretty good, and I heard good things about the dinners there). Service was very good and very nice - typically midwestern. One really nice amenity is that there is a sports bar attached should you be there with a beer-drinking-after-the-meeting crowd (I always have been), which is good since you don't have to go far. And, it's super convenient to the convention center. Complimentary toiletries in bathroom - loved them! Citrusy, really nice. Good HD TV, and nice work desk (is this a place that caters to business crowd?). Great service, friendly staff. So, mostly good.

The bad? My god, paying for internet!!!! $12.95 /day or so. When will hotels get over this? Wait, did I previously presume this place caters to business crowd? Why not charge for cable TV, and go back to the days of paying for phone calls? If providing a system for us to use is that big a deal, wrap it into the room cost and we'll all be happy. Note to Marriott and other hotel chains also still clinging to this past practice: we all use internet in our rooms. It's not that big a deal! Charge us a bit extra if you have to, just don't rub my nose in it by making me pay extra.

Also, room soundproofing is average at best, but can't blame the hotel on a wingnut arguing with his wife on the phone while others should be sleeping (like, after midnight). The bath towels were strangely thin and coarse - don't recall them like this in other Marriott properties, but I'm a Hilton man usually (nice towels). They were thin, coarse, and not pleasant.

Would I stay here again? Heck yeah, if it was a business meeting. If I was choosing the location, maybe, maybe not. Would depend if something that appeared better was available.

BTW - I was there during an exceptional heat wave. Nice to find out the pool was closed - no sign, no mention at front desk, nothing at all. Thanks. No idea why it was closed. If it was to upgrade, maybe they should let current guests in on it. Also, what if that was a selling point in my reservation? Any return, rebate, etc.?

And Marriott should not be happy with that blue glass monstrosity they erected in JW Marriott. I can't imagine a place more out of character with Indy than that place. Isn't there a city planning board????? How did that place get passed? (you want character? check out Crowne Plaza at Union Station - wow!!). I was not impressed with that blue glass monolith - kept thinking of "2001 - a Space Oddessey". Wanted to grunt like a monkey and go up and touch it. Might be a great hotel, but man......

Room Tip: Get a high room.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Surrey, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2011

If you have to stay in Indianapolis, then you could do worse than staying ay this hotel. I found it to be a great location - easy walk to downtown, if like me you like to walk around a bit, rather than driving or cabs, then there is plenty to see/do near this hotel. Victory Field (baseball) is right across the street, Circle City Mall and NCAA Hall of Fame are not far and you could even walk to the Lucas Stadium. Indianapolis is a pretty safe city, and I certainly did not feel threatened at all - even late at night.
The hotel staff are all very pleasant, especially the valet parking staff & porters - really welcoming and helpful - outstanding!. Beds were comfortable and rooms are fine and well equipped. The only complaint I had was that the swimming pool is currently being refurbished and is out of action. It would have been nice to know this ahead of time because I rose early on my morning, fancied a nice swim and walked down to find swimming pool locked up. No sign or anything to indicate it was out of use.
Otherwise, a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2011

I stayed here for a conference that was held in the hotel, and it was quite nice. Comfy beds, good gym, and quiet. And the room service -- provided by one of the restaurants in the hotel -- was delicious! Indianapolis was rather bleak and cold when I was there, so it helped that this hotel was connected to a mall via walkways. I also saw a really good play one night at the Indiana Repertory Theater, which is located just up the street.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Pittsburgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2011

This is the perfect hotel for any event at the convention center. YOu can get most places downtown without going outside by using the skywalk. The hotel is clean and the staff was friendly. Within walking distance of any type of restaurant or entertainment downtown. Will definitely stay here again when we go back.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
GM_Ray2010, General Manager at Marriott Indianapolis Downtown, responded to this review, April 13, 2011
Thanks for the feedback. I am very happy you enjoyed your stay and we hope you can plan a return visit soon.

Phil Ray
Simsbury, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2011

Spent five night here during a basketball convention and had an enjoyable experience.

My room was spacious and the bed very comfortable. The bathroom was clean and roomy.

My only complaint about the room was that the cooler, which looked like a fridge, didn't really keep my soda/food cold. I ended up sticking things in my ice bucket.

There was plenty of staff available and they were all very pleasant. Check in and check out were a breeze.

Ate at the restaurant off the lobby - very good - and the sports bar (Champions) - okay.

Had to pay for wi-fi in the room but it was free in the lobby. Folks were complaining that if they had two laptops in their room, they would have to pay for the wi-fi twice since it was by computer not room. That seemed to be a bit unreasonable to me - especially when so many hotels give you wi-fi for free.

Hotel is located close to the Circle Center and lots of restaurants. Noticed that many places were closed on Sundays and Mondays even though the Women's Final Four was in town and there were twenty thousand people milling about.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Thanks for the feedback on your recent stay. I was happy that overall your experience was excellent. Thank you for your feedback on the wifi and having multiple computers in the guest room. I will investigate to better understand our options and how we can address that concern for future guests. All guests are provided complimentary wifi in our lobby, but I do understand that the convenience of being in the guest room is important too.

We hope to see you on a return visit soon.

Phil Ray

Been to Marriott Indianapolis Downtown? Share your experiences!