“Very nice Marriott property in downtown Indianapolis, IN” 4 of 5 stars
Review of JW Marriott Indianapolis

You added JW Marriott Indianapolis to your Saves list
JW Marriott Indianapolis
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   10 South West Street, Indianapolis, IN 46204 (Downtown Indianapolis)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
$25 Daily Credit
Ranked #6 of 184 Hotels in Indianapolis
GreenLeadersSilver level
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Very nice Marriott property in downtown Indianapolis, IN”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

As part of weekend trip for Indy Race Experience (drive, ride IndyCars on the Speedway), stayed at this very good Marriott property located in downtown Indianapolis.

The Hotel: Larger (34 Floor), very nice property located within walking distance of Lucas Field and other Sports venues, including the Minor League (Indianapolis Indians) filed across the street. Modern, upscale decor in Lobby, with two restaurants on Main Floor - Osteria Pronto, an upscale Italian restaurant, and High Velocity, a large Sports Bar & Restaurant. There is also a large, very nice Lobby Bar - at which you can also order from Osteria Pronto. There is a small Gift Shop (incl soft-drinks, snacks, sundries) next to concierge at end of front desk. Facilities were newer and in good shape.

The Staff: Uniformly excellent. The Valet was excellent, well staffed, prompt, friendly. Junairah, at the front desk was also excellent - recognized Platinum Elite status, accommodated room change request, offered directions and overview of restaurants when asked. Later, inquiry on schedule of Minor League team yielded schedule and game time for weekend games. Restaurant staff (below) was prompt, warm, excellent. Room Service staff similarly was fast, friendly, very good.

The Room: Took King Rm on 33 Floor, facing downtown - great view out floor-to-ceiling windows of city skyline. Recommend both high floor and certainly view of City of view of river, park to the West. The room has modern, fresh decor. Well appointed, with King bed, upholstered wing-back style chair, desk, flat screen HDTV, safe in dresser drawer, robes, etc. Bathroom featured newer decor, well lit, with branded sundries (shampoo, conditioner, lotion, soap), plush towels, and nice large, modern shower with glass doors. Excellent room.

The Practicalities: King Room was $259 / night, excluding tax, etc.

Osteria Pronto - Italian Restaurant @ JW Marriott

The Place: Upsclae Italian cuisine, with entrees range from 20 to 35, including antipasti, zuppe/insalata, pizza, pasta, and entrate. For more relaxed vibe can also order the same menu from in the large and very comfortable Lobby Bar (booths, high-tops, sofas, counter).

App - Beef Carpaccio, rocket, shaved parm, excellent
App - Calamari was very good
App - Crab cake with portabella on greens, solid; tho a bit of odd, sharp aftertaste - would not likely order again over others
App - Tuscan Meatballs, tomato sauce, cheese, grilled crostini, with meatballs in small cassolette (Le Creuset) that looked great, tho did make eating difficult - Very good, if not great, dish.
Main - Spigola (Sea Bass), with spinach risotto, roasted tomato. Excellent. Fish had nice sear, and perfectly (just under) cooked, great juice, texture. The risotto was was a surprise, very good, right consistency, not too stiff, with very good flavor.

The Service: The service very good, attentive, very friendly, warm, excellent. Kudos to Jessica.

The Practicalities, $94, sans gratuity.

High Velocity - Sports Bar / Restaurant @ JW Marriott

The Place: Large sports bar, often with good crowds in evening. Several flat screens at bar and throughout space. Large windows, open, good feel.

The Food:

App - Potstickers, good, if a little overcooked (seemed grilled?)
App - Tandoori chicken wrap, with butter lettuce, pickled cucumbers, carrot, bean sprout, cilantro, mint chili sauce, was very good. Would order again.
App - Fish tacos, Mahi, and chipoltle sauce a little too reminiscent of thousand island dressing, but nice bite of sriracha, greens, doubled corn tortillas (owing to amount of sauce, liquid assume). Tasty. Messy. Filing. Main - Chimichurra steak, flank steak, potato croquettes, steak nice marinade. Meat was cooked just a touch over, but great flavor. The croquettes nicely crisped, by not allot of flavor, and way too much in proportion to beef. Good.

The Service: Good.

Room Service - IN Room Dining in JWM

Service: Good speed on delivery of breakfast.

Food: Food was hot, well prepared, as promised. Tried bacon two ways (recommend crispy), waffles, toast, etc. - all solid

Other: Suggest taking in a game at the Minor League Indianapolis Indians Minor League Field - greatly enjoyed warm spring evening game (Indians versus Toledo Mud Hens) right across the street. Very nice Minor League field with outfield grass seating. Also, suggest the Eiteljorg Museum across the street on opposite side, with a nice Western collection (e.g., paintings and sculpture by Georgia O’Keeffe, Remington), Native American collection (with artifacts from native people from Alaska to Mexico, Atlantic to the Pacific, including very cool Plains, Northwest and Far North artifacts). Was also a nice Ansel Adams exhibit (not permanent).

Room Tip: Suggest high room (30th Floor or above), facing downtown - great view out floor-to-ceiling windows o...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Phil R, General Manager at JW Marriott Indianapolis, responded to this review, May 15, 2014
Thank you for your post and I'm happy to see that overall you enjoyed your visit. Please be assured that I will share this information with my team to provide them feedback. We hope to welcome you back in the future. Phil Ray, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (442)
Saint Louis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

I stayed at the JW for a conference/meetings. I called the morning of my arrival and requested and early check in. The hotel was able to accommodate. I also requested a room on a high floor and far from the elevator, and, again, the hotel was able to accommodate. Off to an excellent start.

My room was on the corner and there were floor to ceiling windows. I had an great view of the minor league baseball stadium on one side and a city park/river on the other. The room was spacious, clean, and modern. The TV was HD and there were plenty of plugs for my electronics.

The bathroom was also very nice. There was a glass shower door and multiple shower heads.

Lobby was nice and sleek, and the hotel is about 3 blocks from many excellent restaurants including St. Elmos, a famous Indy steakhouse and worth the walk.

My only complaint is the internet service was weak. I could get to my emails but was frequently dropped. I was told my room was in a bad location for internet. That said, I liked the room and this was not a big deal but rather a minor annoyance.

I highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Corner room had a great view. If there is a ball game, request a room that overlooks the park.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your great comments about your visit. I also want to apologize for the problem you experienced with the Internet and will speak to my IT Manager in this regard. We will do our best to see that this situation is corrected. Phil Ray, General Manager
St. George, Utah
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2014

I was met at the cab by a friendly doorman, who presumed (without asking either me or the cabbie) that one of the bags in the trunk belonged to the cabbie. Fortunately I noticed and was able to catch him, get him to open the trunk again, and retrieve my bag before he drove off (a potential crisis narrowly averted).

I was met in the lobby by a friendly individual who guided me through the check-in process very graciously, but when asked a simple question about the conference that I was there to attend (location in the hotel), took a very long time to find the information.

The room was uncomfortably hot, and so I finally called the front desk. They quickly dispatched an individual who tested the system and found that the hot water was not turning off completely. He quickly and efficiently disassembled the heating / cooling system made repairs, and assured me that the room would cool within 30 minutes - which it did. Would have preferred to be asleep rather than watching the repairman.

The bathtub drained very slowly, which was addressed the next day when they were cleaning the room.

The key card was required to get to your floor, which is a nice security measure, but it didn't always work.

The noise from the hallway was quite pronounced. When I went to investigate I found that the space under the door was so great and unobstructed that I could stick my fingers under the door and wiggle them at the noisy people in the hall. Not great for sound containment, and significantly lacking in privacy (would be pretty easy to look under the door from either side).

At check-out I asked if the room charge would be put on the card used to make the reservation, which I was assured it would be, only to find that the charges were put on my personal card used to cover incidentals. I didn't have time to object, as I had a flight to catch and the check-out process had already taken way too long.

So, these kinds of problems might be more typical of a budget hotel, but this was anything but a budget hotel (in price, at least)! Very disappointing!!!

Also, in the conference there were not enough chairs in the room, and so people ended up sitting on the floor!

Green Features: They did have recycle bins in the rooms, which I appreciate.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your post and please accept my sincere apologies for the many problems you experienced during your visit. This is not typical of our hotel, and I will share your comments with my team. If you can give me a call at your convenience (317-860-4911), I would very much like to personally apologize for the issues you had. Phil Ray, General Manager
Northbrook
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

I was very pleasantly surprised as to the hotel property itself and the plethora of activities available in the immediate surrounding area to the hotel. Business meeting for my wife and a vacation for me.
Beautiful entrance with pleasant and helpful staff readily available. We were greeted promptly and checked in quickly. The room is spacious, nicely decorated, and well maintained. Bed is very comfortable.
Osteria Pronto (attached restaurant) has delicious food - great salmon! No lack of good restaurants in the area either - Izzy and Harry, Ruths Chris, Weber Grill, etc. All within easy walking distant though taxis are readily available at the hotel.
Activities surrounding the hotel include Pittsburgh Pirates triple-A ball park across the street, Lucas Oil Stadium (home of the Colts with a terrific behind the scenes tour) about a mile away, large park complex behind the hotel with NCCA Hall of Champions, Indiana State Museum, and Eiteljorg Museum located proximally and the lovely river walk and biking paths abound. Bikes can be rented at numerous locations around the hotel and elsewhere in the downtown area. Zoo and Botanic Gardens a little further in the "park". The convention center is kitty corner and accessible on foot either by sidewalk or pedestrian bridges. Bridges/indoor pathway actually extends to City Center if weather is inclement and you wish to shop at the mall or see a movie.

Room Tip: Higher level rooms facing the city offer a lovely skyline. We were on the 18th floor. Consider, for...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay at the JW, as well as visiting Indy. We hope to welcome you back soon. Phil Ray, General Manager
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

Can't find anything bad to say about this property. It's unfortunate that, these days, this is what you have to spend to get a clean room, attentive staff, and good restaurant. This property is definitely worth the cost.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Scott B, General Manager at JW Marriott Indianapolis, responded to this review, May 7, 2014
Thank you for your feedback and be assured I will share your comments with my team. We appreciate your business and hope to be of service to you in the future. Phil Ray, General Manager
Warsaw, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

We just stayed here for 4 nights for the BPA National Conference. This staff knows what they are doing. As soon as you walk in you are greeted by a lobby that looks like a billion bucks and a staff with smiles just the same. They treated us with the utmost respect and were willing to go to the moon and back. I don't know how some people had a bad experience here, it seems almost impossible. The rooms were clean and ready upon arrival and they were so nice I forgot I had to go to the 2nd floor for ice. NOT A PROBLEM because the elevators were extremely fast, I never waited more than a minute for an elevator to whisk me away to where I wanted to go. The two restaurants connected to the hotel had amazing food and great service. Overall my stay was fantastic and I will definitely be back! How could you not love the look of this hotel! The blue sleek look seems to tower of the city and is a great addition to the skyline of Indianapolis.

Room Tip: All you need to worry about is bed space! The rooms are super spacious and if you need more beds, as...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
It was certainly our pleasure to have you here with us during the BPA National Conference. I appreciate your many kind comments and will share this information with my team. We hope to welcome you back soon. Phil Ray, General Manager
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

Was in Indy for a wedding and stayed at the JW Marriot. I was expecting something pretty solid but I was pretty shocked by the high level of the service and employees, which I consider a huge part of my stay somewhere. Step in the lobby and someone came up to welcome/work with you to check in right away. Great bars/restaurants, very high level rooms, and it was right across from where the minor league team plays. Couldn't stay for the next days game though.

And it was very moderately priced, but I should mention that I am guessing I got a wedding rate.

Will stay there again for my many Indy trips.

Room Tip: Get a city view about the 10th(?) floor!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Scott B, General Manager at JW Marriott Indianapolis, responded to this review, May 1, 2014
We appreciate your great feedback, and I'll share this information with my team. We'll look forward to your next visit. Phil Ray, General Manager

Been to JW Marriott Indianapolis? Share your experiences!