“Another great stay!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of JW Marriott Indianapolis

Save Saved
You added JW Marriott Indianapolis to your Saves list
JW Marriott Indianapolis
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   10 South West Street, Indianapolis, IN 46204 (Downtown Indianapolis)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #5 of 184 hotels in Indianapolis
GreenLeadersSilver level
Indianapolis, IN
“Another great stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

We are local to Indy and this was our second visit to the JW. This is a well run and customer focused property. Everyone from the valets to the front desk staff is super friendly and willing to help.

Upon arrival they checked us in early and put us on the highest floor available.

The rooms are spacious and what you would expect from a hotel of this class. We love the floor to ceiling windows and there are unique views from about every angle. If you're visiting Indy this is the best option when it comes to staying downtown. We've stayed several times at the Conrad (and while they have an awesome spa) the lobby & rooms seem to be kind of formal and even a little cold. I'd choose the JW every time.

While there we attended an event that was also really nicely appointed and the food was great.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Assistant2, General Manager at JW Marriott Indianapolis, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
It was great to welcome you back, and thank you for your post. It was a pleasure having you with us, and I will share your comments with my team. We hope to welcome you back soon. Scott Blalock, General Manager

1,057 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (383)
Bloomington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

The place is a complete hotel. Very good restaurants from a sports bar to Italian. Two complete bars. There's room service, valet parking, etc. And it's all ála carte. Just like any major metro hotel, you pay for everything. You can walk to a nice theater district a few blocks away. Rooms are spacious and have plenty of power outlets on the desk--yayyyyy. In this day, my one 'beef' is who charges $15 day for internet ?

Couple of things to know: If you are getting the Government rate, and you're a contractor, like me, insist that reservations connect you to the front desk, so they add the following comment to your reservation: You are Government, but you do not have a Government ID. This will prevent a near fascist level interrogation, like the one I received before I learned to do this.

The normal pricing is not for the feint of heart and is actually comparable to Downtown Chicago. Yet, the place is pretty packed every time I'm there, sooooooo perhaps the problem is me, not them. The place is amazingly well staffed.

Room Tip: I prefer the higher the better, for a room, but after a certain height there is an up charge at this...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Assistant2, General Manager at JW Marriott Indianapolis, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Thank you for your post. I appreciate your feedback and it was a pleasure to have you as our guest. I do understand your comment regarding the Internet; however, we are required by Marriott to follow their standards so there is consistency within the brand. To give our guests an option, we do offer complimentary wireless in our lobby and restaurants. Again, we enjoyed having you with us, and look forward to your next visit. Scott Blalock, General Manager
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

My husband and I stayed last June for a weekend get a way. The hotel is incredibly clean. We stayed in a corner room on the 22nd floor I believe. The view of both Victory Field and White River State Park was beautiful. My only complaint was that there was only one comfortable chair in the room and a desk chair. It was not comfortable to order room service and dine in the room. Don't miss the restaurant High Velocity. The food and service is excellent and the prices very reasonable. The hotel's location to downtown Indy can't be beat. It is close to everything.

• Stayed June 2012
Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 4 nights for a conference. For the most part, everything was great. The bed was comfortable, the location was awesome, and the staff was very helpful and friendly. The fitness room was top notch also. My only complaints would be...the pillows were awful. I went home with a sore back for days. I also found it pretty ridiculous how much they charged for internet service. I manage a hotel and I know how inexpensive it is to offer free internet. They are making a killing off this. Otherwise, I would stay again if I'm back in the area.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Assistant2, General Manager at JW Marriott Indianapolis, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. I was sorry you experienced a problem with the pillows. We do have foam pillows available if the standard JW pillow is not comfortable for you. I understand your comment about the Internet; however, we are required by Marriott to follow their standards so there is consistency within the brand. Currently they do require a fee at all their full-service properties. To give our guests an option, we offer complimentary wireless in the lobby and restaurants. Be assured that once this policy is changed, we will change it at the property level. Thank you again for staying with us, and we hope to welcome you back in the future. Scott Blalock, General Manager
USA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

Good establishment, HORRIBLE service!! --- Lies, inconsistency, and great at squeezing extra money out of you!!! If it weren't for the 3 day long conference being at the hotel, I would have checked out and moved down the street to the Conrad. I may be a college student on the road, but for the money I'm paying, I'd expect service to match that.

Check in was somewhat of a hassle, but it was understandable with a lobby full of people. This is where the problems began. I needed to connect to the internet ($15/day) only to find out I couldn't because my name was not correct in their system....what's the point of verifying names and ID's?? So I tried a roommate's name and it finally worked. Talked to the front dest to be sure the charge was transferred to my personal card...didn't happen. Turndown services finally showed up after 2 days...good thing I had my own towels and toiletries. The bed was like sleeping on bricks..didn't matter much after 12 hours of traveling and conferences. But that's not the worst!

During my conference, I had left for a quick drink/bathroom break....a whole 3-5 minutes. I come back to see the meeting space has been locked for re-setting the space. I finally get in to grab some items (finance reports, data, etc.) I had left on the table--only to be told that the room is being reset and I shouldn't be in the room. As for my items, instead of checking right then, I was told to check back with "loss prevention" after the conference...a few hours later!!! I check afterwards and was told to check back again...and again....and again.... I get a call that something has been found and that it would be brought up to the room. 45 mins later I went down to ask about it AGAIN, Nothing--it was the wrong thing! Literally, after nearly 10 times, went down and asked before going out to dinner with a group. I was so frustrated at this point, being passed on from one person to another. I end up nowhere after nearly 40 mins of "checking". I had missed the bus for dinner with the group and I was stuck with a $50 room service burger for dinner. Apparently room service can make decisions for me since they didn't have everything on the menu. The server even argued with me saying it's not on the menu until I pulled the menu out!!! I checked back for my stuff in the morning before leaving and still nothing. They had people "looking" again as a valet guy is telling our bus driver that we are going to be ticketed for parking for loading. Sorry that they couldn't accommodate that!!! 30 mins or so after we leave, I get a call saying that they found my items...asked for a credit card number right away. (Sketchy....funny how this works!!) I had given them the shipping information and a thorough description of the item(s) before leaving and was obviously not passed on. Told them specifically the information is confidential to myself and work...only to have someone read the documents to me over the phone!!! I gave the information to them again over the phone a few days later to see that FedEx has charged me twice. Got the package a few days ago only to find some of the stuff missing. Not worth talking to them again. I'd rather get yelled at by the boss instead of having them "look" for the stuff. YOU HAVE MY MONEY NOW...HAPPY?!!

After all of this, all I got was "I apologize for the loss" and "We are looking...we'll even dig in the trash for you if needed". SERIOUSLY?!! No compensation or anything???!!! NEVER AGAIN JW MARRIOTT or ANY other Marriott.

...maybe the corner room with a great view of the Conrad was saying something all along!!!

Room Tip: Get a room down the street at the Conrad!!!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Scott B, General Manager at JW Marriott Indianapolis, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Dear Guest,
My name is Scott Blalock and I am the General Manager of the JW Marriott Indianapolis. Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I am so sorry you had these frustrations during your stay and there is no excuse for the time it took for us to respond to you. I would like to personally apologize and hear how I can help make this up to you. You may reach me directly at 317-860-4911 or email me at scott.blalock@marriott.com.

Scott Blalock
JW Marriott Indianapolis
ph: 317-860-4911.
Evansville, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

Due to my work (and to some extent personal) travels, I am in Indianapolis alot; as a result I have stayed at almost every single downtown hotel and a few on the North Side. The JW is far and away the very best in terms of quality of facility (excellent), friendliness and helpfullness of staff and overall experience. There are a couple of very good restaurant options in the hotel, nice workout facility and getting in and out (whether valet or self park) is smooth. Aesthetically the property is top notch- I'd call it "sleek and sophisticated" but not pretentious; rooms are terrific. The JW is absolutely my #1 choice, whether its business or personal travel that brings me to Indianapolis

Room Tip: both the City and Park (White River Park) are great- more of which one you are in the mood for; once...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your feedback. We enjoyed having you with us, and look forward to your return. Scott Blalock, General Manager
Knoxville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

If you get a chance to visit Indianapolis, Indiana JW Marriott is the place to stay. The property is only a few years old, it is situated downtown and connected so you access mall, convention center, and restaurants without going outside. The rooms are true to the JW style, the staff is friendly, knowledgeable, and accommodating.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher level room to take in the skyline.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Been to JW Marriott Indianapolis? Share your experiences!