“Beautiful Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of JW Marriott Indianapolis

You added JW Marriott Indianapolis to your Saves list
JW Marriott Indianapolis
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   10 South West Street, Indianapolis, IN 46204 (Downtown Indianapolis)   |
Hotel deals
GreenLeadersSilver level
Indianapolis, IN
“Beautiful Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2012

My husband and I had an event to attend in the JW's Grand Ballroom and decided to book a room so we wouldn't have to drive home to the suburbs late at night. We were very pleased with our experience at this hotel. Check in was quick and very friendly. We were given a park view room on the 30th floor and appreciated the room view from this level. It was fun to look out and see all the way out to the airport and the pyramids on 86th St. The room was clean and all the furnishings were in great condition. All staff members we encountered during our short stay were curteous and professional. I will be recommending this hotel to out-of-town family and friends. Perhaps we'll even vacation downtown more often ourselves as it was just a quick walk to many attractions, restaurants and bars.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Assistant2, General Manager at JW Marriott Indianapolis, responded to this review, May 24, 2012
Thank you so much for your feedback. I was glad to see you enjoyed your visit and the staff was courteous and professional. If you decide to take a "vacation" downtown, we'll look forward to welcoming you back. Scott Blalock, General Manager

South Bend, Indiana, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

So, since it opened, I have been intrigued to stay at the JW Indianapolis. We are Marriott Elite members and stay at a lot of Marriott hotels nationwide. Normally our preferences are for JW Marriotts or Ritz Carltons, but we also stay at a lot of Four Seasons and Mandarin Oriental properties as well. It really is just a convention hotel with luxury aspirations though, in my opinion.

The manager was good enough to book us in into a great corner room, as there are very little suites on the property as I understand it. We had some great amenities and access to the executive lounge. Upon arrival, we did valet and went inside. My first observation was "THERE IS A BIKER'S CONVENTION AT THE JW ON MOTHER'S DAY WEEKEND???!?!?!" To say I was speechless was an understatement. Thankfully we put my MIL at Springhill Suites attached to the JW. While waiting to check in, we heard the F-BOMB thrown around by one of the convention goer's several times. We also heard the derogatory term for the female anatomy and what one does when one attends to the loo. I was not impressed. The worst part was, the hotel employee that the man was talking to did not ask him to be more discrete about his language.

Our room was not ready upon arrival so we checked our bags and ventured off to check the MIL in. An hour later, I got a call that the room was ready and we could pick our bags up... no bag delivery to the room??? Again, that is how a luxury hotel handles a room not being ready, not pick them up at the front desk. We came back to the hotel and picked up our bags and went upstairs to the room. The room was very nice and well laid out. There was no mini bar or refrigerator in the room at all. The bathroom was VERY SMALL and only had a shower. The body sprays in the shower were a nice touch. You could not open the door to the shower and the bathroom door at the same time. I am pretty sure the bathrooms at both Springhill Suites and Courtyards are a standard size that is larger than this. Again, a luxury hotel with a room with only a shower. Disappointed. Upon use of the shower later we learned that the body sprays overwhelm the drain and we had to keep turning them off or the water would have overflowed on the floor. Very poor design.

We stopped into the executive lounge for a snack and a drink. The lounge was filthy. There was no attendant and we counted 7 dirty plates and cups sitting around. One of the tables had cookie crumbs everywhere. The selection was sparse and very picked over. It looked like no one had been attending to the lounge in a little while. There was a bowl of fruit and two or three selections of granola bars along with the usual soft drink and beer selection offered at a JW lounge. All in all I have been more impressed by the afternoon spread at other hotels of less caliber.

We went back to the room and cleaned up for dinner and let the front desk know on our way out that we required turn down and a bathroom refresh. The young lady called me by name which is a nice touch and said it would be done. I grabbed the car out of valet and ventured out for our various activities.

Upon our return later in the evening, the lobby was a circus full of loud bikers. I, again, was just taken back by the decorum of some of the people staying there. Two young ladies were walking through the lobby barefoot??? Really?? Two JW employees saw them and said nothing. We overheard a conversation about lewd sexual acts occurring in a room the night before from some of the clientele and were further turned off. Rather than have drinks at the hotel bar we turned back around and walked back downtown for nightcaps. Upon our return, the same noisy environment was going on in the lobby and wouldn't you know it, our room never received turn down. The manager had sent us a lovely welcome amenity but it had come after we left for dinner so we were really not in the mood. A nice touch for a hotel trying to be luxury. We had no towels and the ironing board was still and the curtains open. It was obvious that the welcome amenity was more important than the turn down. We were too tired to call down for towels and figured we would deal with it in the morning.

For breakfast we went down the hall to the executive lounge. As we were having our breakfast and discussing the day's game plan we were privy to yet another biker's sailor's mouth. It is such a lovely way to wake up in the morning, pineapple-cranberry-apple juice, a bagel, and the f-bomb. One family sitting near us had enough and the mother, grabbed her kids and left the lounge, food uneaten. We finished our food and left as well as we were not in the mood to deal with poor character that early in the morning. I will say, the lounge staff was one bright shining moment in the entire stay. When they were around, they were great!

Going back to our room, we found that the room across the way had had some dirty dishes sitting outside it SINCE OUR ARRIVAL. That means for nearly 24 hours, the same dirty dishes sat in the hallway. Eww. We called down for towels and they were there in a hurry. We got cleaned up while dealing with the poor drain and I tried calling down for the car. The valet let me know that because of heavy departures they don't allow call down in the mornings. Again, luxury hotel fail. So, we instead went down to check out and wait 10 minutes for our car. Upon checkout the young lady asked how the stay was and I let her know about the missed turn down, and she offered to remove the valet charge, which was a nice touch. The valet guys were superstars as well handling a large influx of traffic and never failing to remember my name. They were providing roses to moms that morning, again nice touch.

All in all, there are better ran places to stay in the Indy area. Are there nicer?? That's debatable, but a pretty building with a pretty room is nothing without the right environment to go with it. JW is the newest and biggest and yes, it has its benefits, but if they continue to book conventions like this and handle their housekeeping the same way, they cannot stand to call themselves a true luxury hotel. The staff was always congenial and professional but follow through is what is important. A hotel of this size is difficult to manage I am sure, but it has to be right in order to maintain the right clientele. Otherwise, you become another Priceline convention hotel that doesn't fill your bars or your restaurants. JW really is just a great convention hotel, it has a way to go to be otherwise.

Room Tip: Request a corner room on a high floor if available. Paying extra for concierge level may be worth i...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Andrew C
Scott B, General Manager at JW Marriott Indianapolis, responded to this review, May 14, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for providing a recap of your stay at our hotel last weekend. I am the general manager of the JW Marriott and I'm very sorry we did not deliver the type of experience you would expect from our hotel. I apologize for the lack of cleanliness in our concierge lounge and for not completing your turndown service upon your request. In regards to the unacceptable language you overheard, I will coach my team on getting involved to help stop this behavior by another guest.

Again, I apologize and hope you will stay with us again in the future as what you expereienced is not typical of our hotel.

Regards,

Scott Blalock
JW Marriott Indianapolis
Winnetka, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2012

The marriot was okay, nothing special. The rooms are very small and remind me of an old holiday inn. The room service food was horrible. I ordered a hamburger, VERY well done, no pink. They brought a rare hamburger, and the fries tasted horrible. The hotel does have a great valet service, with a ton of taxis waiting. I liked the bar/lobby area. It was very high-tech with flat screen tvs everywhere. They also have free internet service in the lobby/bar area as well as great connection in the rooms, but there was a charge, of course. i recently stayed at the Conrad and the internet connection was almost non-existent. i requested room internet service, at a price, but whenever I tried to log in with my ipad it would not connect. They need to move into 2012. (The Conrad!).

Every staff member was very welcoming and friendly, although sometimes a little too freindly.

It was clean and very new. I would much rather stay at the Marriot than the Conrad. It was terrible!

Room Tip: A high floor room.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us. I am the General Manager of the JW and want to apologize for not providing a better room service experience for you. We can certainly do a better job than what we did for you. I hope we did not charge you for that order. I also want to thank you for your nice comments about our valet service and lobby bar.

I'd like to personally apologize and make sure we have taken care of your room service issue. You may reach me at 317-860-4911 or at scott.blalock@marriott.com if you would be so kind.

Scott Blalock
Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

This place made the trip to Indianapolis not too tough. Good evening room service and (all the time) nice bedroom art deco, grey, black, and red decor.

Room Tip: TGIF Friday's in adjoining building. Also, you can walk all the way into Lucas Oil Stadium and/o...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Staten Island, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

Hotel was is in the center of all good restaurants, attractions and convention center (do not have to leave hotel to get there is weather is inclement)).
Had a great Sports bar, High Velocity and service was excellent. Cannot go wrong at this Marriott.

Room Tip: Just returned from Convention and this hotel is very convenient to the convention center (do not hav...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

We stayed at the JW Marriott for a convention and were impressed by the hotel and the meeting rooms. We had a beautiful room on the 29th floor facing the river and park. If you want a quiet room, request the river side of the hotel. The bathroom had a wonderful stall shower and everything was clean and comfortable. I had dinner and breakfast at the Italian restaurant in the hotel and the food was great. It was great having the convention right in the hotel so you could access all of the meeting rooms from the hotel elevators and didn't have to go outside. It was cold while we were there but it was still a comfortable walk to any of the downtown restaurants. The service was very good in the hotel and if you are attending a football game, the stadium is only minutes away. I would highly recommend the hotel to anyone traveling to Indianapolis which I have to say is a very nice clean city.

Room Tip: Higher floor and river side of the hotel offer the quietest rooms - we were originally given a room...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
Assistant2, General Manager at JW Marriott Indianapolis, responded to this review, May 11, 2012
Thank you for the great review on Trip Advisor. We certainly enjoyed having you with us, and hope to welcome you back soon. Scott Blalock, General Manager
Vermont USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012

Downtown Indianapolis is architecturally elegant and JW Marriott is the keystone.
When we entered the lobby last Friday afternoon, waitstaff were offering on their trays, pasta in tiny glasses. Unusual offering, I thought. The mini-marathon was the next morning, so of course!
Everything at JW Marriott, from the service to the cuisine to the rooms is wonderful. JW Marriott is conveniently adjacent to Museums, where we visited on foot. However, the hotel itself could be the destination. It's a hotel that's effectively doubles as a resort.

Usually, this reviewer would seek "mom and pop" small places to cast light upon; not so, in this case.

Room Tip: Those who check you in will advise.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family