“Very Nice but something was just a little Off” 4 of 5 stars
Review of JW Marriott Indianapolis

You added JW Marriott Indianapolis to your Saves list
JW Marriott Indianapolis
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   10 South West Street, Indianapolis, IN 46204 (Downtown Indianapolis)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
FREE Wi-Fi For Members
Ranked #9 of 183 Hotels in Indianapolis
GreenLeadersSilver level
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“Very Nice but something was just a little Off”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2011

My husband and I live in Indianapolis and were attending a gala downtown. It was being held at the hotel and we decided to make it a real date night and spend the night.

Our first impression of the hotel was not so great - the valets were very friendly when we first pulled up. My husband wanted to stop the car for a moment to unload our bags. When we told them we wanted to self-park they were a bit rude about it. I was already out of the car with my bags when we were told we needed to go park in the garage (30 minutes of self-park is free). It was awkward and embarrassing. Once they knew we wanted to self park they just seemed to look right past us, even when my husband had a question...

Once we parked and got inside things got a lot better. The lobby was beautiful and the woman that checked us in was fantastic! Very warm and friendly.

I peeked into the "Velocity" bar, excited at first from seeing it on the website, but then realized it was too 'sports bar' for me - no cozy or comfy seating that I saw.

We were lucky to get a room on a high floor. The room was very nice with windows ceiling to floor which I loved. The beds were super comfy - we slept great which is probably one of the most important things. The room was nicely decorated but didn't seem to have as much personality as some of the other JWs I've stayed at. And one weird thing - no light in the closet. While I guess you don't 'need' a light in the closet, that was one thing that struck us as strange. Bathroom set-up was a little weird too -- no bathtub but a big shower with extra jets. That was awesome but being a date night I would have liked the bath. And the bathroom door opened in a way that it blocks the shower door. (I'm weird - I like the door open if I'm just showering or getting ready since bathrooms can seem a little claustrophobic.) Then like most hotels they want you to save your towels, but don't give adequate towel racks (just the one on the shower door and a robe hook). Not that it mattered - we were just staying one night. None of these things were a big deal but made this hotel feel a little unfinished - like a few corners were cut or there were a few oversights.

The lobby bar was nice and we did grab a cocktail. I think it was called Ginger Crush? It was great (muddled strawberries in it) but really sweet. And the rest of the cocktail menu needs help. Even the waitress gave us kind of a 'ya, I know' as we were sitting there a little lost while we read it. One of my favorite things about a nice bar is getting to try fun cocktails. I can't tell if it lacks imagination or of someone was trying to hard to be imaginative. After our gala we tried two other drinks there that were just weird.

We ended up ordering late night room service - fish and chips, that were really good. Then we had room service again for breakfast which was ok. I had a wrap that was great but the potatoes it came with were soggy. That's ok - I didn't need to eat much after the late night service. =)

Overall I would definitely recommend this hotel. Probably the best in Indy but doesn't compare with the JW (as I remember it) in San Francisco. Somehow I think even our JW here in Grand Rapids, MI is more chic. We would definitely stay at this hotel again if a good promotion was running and would recommend it to friends.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Plainfield, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2011

Stayed at this brand new hotel for a week long conference and enjoyed every minute of it. The staff are obviously trained to cater to the needs of every guest. My room on 29 had a great view, super fast elevator service and an awesome multi-headed shower. I used the laundry service three times and it was done perfectly, with same day service. Pickup the phone and there is instantly help on the line. Right night to the hotel is a AAA minor league baseball field and I enjoyed a night game there within sight of my room. Great access to the central canal with bike rentals and for general strolling. Breakfast buffet is copious and well prepared. The fitness center is topnotch with plenty of machines and free weights. Costs a bit more, but worth it.

Room Tip: Ask for floors 29 and above.
Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2011

My family went to Indianapolis for a cheer competition Apr 15-18. When I found out there was a brand new JW in town I switched my Res to this hotel. Our stay was amazing. My wife did not want to leave so we had to extend trip an extra day. The room was wonderful with floor to ceiling glass and an incredible view. We ordered room service each mourning and food was delicious and prompt. The staff went out of there way to make sure everything was perfect and made us feel very welcome. We can't wait to return. I want to thank Karina at the front desk for all the help she gave and making our trip so memorable . So many staff members went above and beyond I wish I would of wrote down names to thank.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2011

A welcome addition to Indy... Great exterior and fantastic foyer. Something went wrong with the design of the room hallways, they look very typical 70's standard american hotel in my opinion.

Service was well above expectations, on site restaurants were great, fitness centre and spa was excellent! Fantastic conference facilities also.

12.95 per day for interest which is annoying.

Room Service menu was a bit unappealing to my tastes..

Room Tip: Definately insist on the city view room
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Cincinnati, OH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2011

I've stayed at a lot of Marriott properties across the country and the JW Marriott in Indianapolis is as nice as they get. The hotel is new and beautiful. The rooms are great -- very clean. The pool and health club are above average for a downtown hotel. The health club even has refrigerated bottled water (free) and chilled towels. The concierge lounge has great views of the city and serves delicious food in the morning and evening. You can't go wrong with this hotel.

The JW is substantially nicer than the standard Marriott in downtown Indy.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2011

We stayed here during the grand opening. While the hotel is brand new there were definitely kinks to work out (elevator key didn't always work, charged additionally for parking, housekeeping was skipped one day, gift card wasn't applied to bill). However, they were always very pleasant and quick to respond. The fitness center was top notch and had great views of the city. Rooms and bathrooms were small and the decor was a mix of modern and deco. The rooms appeared to be more for the business traveler.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars
C'burg PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2011

you can definetely tell this hotel is brand new. My room was on 29th floor and overlooked the Colts stadium and the city...GREAT VIEW! The staff was excellent...The clerk not only checked me in, but walked me to the elevator while discussing all the features of the hotel...thought that was a nice touch. It is connected to the convention center which is a easy walk through 2 hallways and the lobby bar was lively during my stay. Not sure if I will ever have a reason to go back to Indy, but if I do...i would defintely stay here again.

Room Tip: a